• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA padding after college

WEGL12

VT-28
The OAR was a 69, I think. My GPA, however, is (<2.5). Taking courses after college I can get it (>2.5). I also did do 2 internships in college. Would the internships help my package?

The internships didn't really have anything to do with aviation. I was helping with a low-level programming change for factory machines.

Going by your profile I am assuming you haven't finished your degree yet. If this is the case focus on finishing out strong. Regardless of what job you try to get (military or civilian) a low GPA is going to be a negative mark. Even if you end up with a 2.5 it looks a lot better if each semester you improved your GPA (even more so if you are doing well in your major classes). Also if you can retake classes and have the original grade replaced that is great. However if your school doesn't allow this you may still consider retaking classes you did poorly in. Say you got a D in one of your engineering classes and you retook it and got an A. It won't make a huge difference in your GPA, but it shows you are actually trying learn the knowledge in your degree. If you are going to take additional classes I agree with MikeMiller, take classes that actually relate to your major or get a masters. A masters with a strong GPA will take some of the focus off your bachelor GPA.

Also I recommend not retaking the ASTB. Especially if you took the old form. When I took the new version right before API I found it to be harder than the older test. You can't prepare as much for the new versions. You have very solid scores so focus on your GPA.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks everyone for the advice. I got an 8/8/9 on the ASTB (old version Form 5).

Should I take the new version (Forms, 6, 7) and try getting all 9's?
Hell NO!
The OAR was a 69, I think. My GPA, however, is (<2.5). Taking courses after college I can get it (>2.5). I also did do 2 internships in college. Would the internships help my package?
The GPA is your problem... not ASTB, OAR or anything else. It will be tough to overcome (certainly not with internships), considering the much higher GPAs in the competition. You can give it a shot, you never can tell.:confused:
BzB

exNavyOffRec

The internships didn't really have anything to do with aviation. I was helping with a low-level programming change for factory machines.

How much longer until you graduate and what is your current GPA, you should be able to figure out what you need to do.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Hell NO!

The GPA is your problem... not ASTB, OAR or anything else. It will be tough to overcome (certainly not with internships), considering the much higher GPAs in the competition. You can give it a shot, you never can tell.:confused:
BzB
A 2.52 was picked up on my board I'm pretty sure and I think he was 8's and 9's but no where near the OAR, thats a beast of a score...there was a historical sheet floating around here somewhere ;)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I graduated a zillion years ago, but IIRC, one didn't graduate until one officially applied, regardless of whether one had completed the requisite courses. Can you just not apply for graduation, hang out an extra semester and take beginning jogging and cinematic appreciation, and then apply to be graduated? You'd have to pay for an extra semester's tuiton, but it might be worth it.