• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Government Housing NAS Whiting?

fastnumber15

TailSpin--classic low level
So being that I am Air Force, and Married I should probably go ahead and find a place correct? My orders say to check in with housing first before entering a contract...but damn...why wait to get starting on something as important as a place to live....ADVICE?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
So being that I am Air Force, and Married I should probably go ahead and find a place correct? My orders say to check in with housing first before entering a contract...but damn...why wait to get starting on something as important as a place to live....ADVICE?

Orders always say that. It is a holdover from the military housing heyday. Check with the stucon office at VT-3 or the wing. They will give you the straight scoop. I do not believe that ANY married people are required to live in housing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Brunes

pilot
Orders always say that. It is a holdover from the military housing heyday. Check with the stucon office at VT-3 or the wing. They will give you the straight scoop. I do not believe that ANY married people are required to live in housing. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Cosign- They still make you route the chit- but it was more or less guaranteed to be approved.

Folks at the wing are the ones to ask- They will have the new studs filling out the packet of stuff including the housing info.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
It is all privatized now, so I don't know how much it has changed, but I would guess not too much.

Nothing has changed other than they take care of your lawn. I live in Whiting pines and we party alot. Solo, Inst Check, Last flight, etc are all a good reason to party. The down side is the house is small and everyone knows your business. The up side is having people next door who are ahead of you and can answer your questions. I'm the only IP on my street and I have done an airspace brief in exchange for some adult beverages for almost everyone around me.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Nothing has changed other than they take care of your lawn. I live in Whiting pines and we party alot. Solo, Inst Check, Last flight, etc are all a good reason to party. The down side is the house is small and everyone knows your business. The up side is having people next door who are ahead of you and can answer your questions. I'm the only IP on my street and I have done an airspace brief in exchange for some adult beverages for almost everyone around me.

If you want to do another this weekend, I'll make a stop at the mini mart! :D

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
I am sure I am preaching to the choir but I think this is fvcking bullsh!t! I lived in Whiting Pines because I am married, it was convenient, and all I did on the weekend was grill, drink, study and watch NASCAR. When I lived there not many married SNAs moved in because why not get BAH and rent a house in Pace? So instead of spending the money to tear down the old 900 sqft housing to build nice new housing that married SNAs might want to move into, lets force all of the single guys to live there so we can still get that big government contract with GMH privatized housing!

Although that minimart was cash $$$, 50% of it was booze and they were open until 2100!

This reminds me of the conversation I had heard about between Col Holtzworth and the AF Col at Vance about how the AF was going to try to force the Marines to live in the Q. Apparently it was a one-way conversation.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I am sure I am preaching to the choir but I think this is fvcking bullsh!t! I lived in Whiting Pines because I am married, it was convenient, and all I did on the weekend was grill, drink, study and watch NASCAR. When I lived there not many married SNAs moved in because why not get BAH and rent a house in Pace? So instead of spending the money to tear down the old 900 sqft housing to build nice new housing that married SNAs might want to move into, lets force all of the single guys to live there so we can still get that big government contract with GMH privatized housing!

Although that minimart was cash $$$, 50% of it was booze and they were open until 2100!

This reminds me of the conversation I had heard about between Col Holtzworth and the AF Col at Vance about how the AF was going to try to force the Marines to live in the Q. Apparently it was a one-way conversation.

The heyday of Uncle Sam providing housing for families is over and gone. It took about 70 years for the military to figure out that they suck at being a landlord. Privatization is run like a business. If history is any indicator, you will start to see vast improvements on that property. They have already torn down about 2 blocks worth of houses. Whiting Pines was sitting at somewhere around half full before they privatized. That is a huge sucking money hole that the Navy doesn't want or need. Relax, if a family wants to move in there, it is basically the same deal.
And as far as Vance and their Q policy, the Navy and Marines have been telling them to suck it for quite some time. I am glad to see that policy continues.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Who owns the contract for base housing in whiting.. Ive got the MXF base IG in comms with AETC IG about PINNACLE... houses here are substandard and may be making folks sick (mold). Pinnacle doesn't want to pay the 400 to have home inspected, because if the test comes back + they have a HUGE F***ING PROBLEM on their hands... a congressional may be coming next.

If Pinnacle runs the show, buy a pit bull.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Can't do it this weekend due to the prepo at NPA. Maybe I can just give you a real one this week. Should only take about 3 hours or so. :D

Hah. No worries, sir. I had it yesterday. It was awesome getting back to NDZ at 10, going home, DD-175, airspace study for 30 minutes, wake up, drive to NPA and brief at 10. Turned out OK.

Hopefully you treated my RI partner OK today. I promise if we fly again, I won't suck as much as last time. :D

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
With a cursory look through the thread, didn't see the WHY addressed.

Why are college grad O-1/2's being forced to live on base? Im no stickler for instructions and regs, but if one exists and most bases ignore it... is there a point to it? Is senior leadership morale crushing inside the "regulation" line? If it puts a better product out the door, more capable of puting warheads on foreheads then alrighty. If it is beaurocratic hand holding then its BS.

magnetfreezer

With a cursory look through the thread, didn't see the WHY addressed.

Why are college grad O-1/2's being forced to live on base? Im no stickler for instructions and regs, but if one exists and most bases ignore it... is there a point to it? Is senior leadership morale crushing inside the "regulation" line? If it puts a better product out the door, more capable of puting warheads on foreheads then alrighty. If it is beaurocratic hand holding then its BS.

Don't know about NSE specifically but a lot of AF bases have the same policy for pilot/nav students to keep the base numbers looking good. They don't want to have Congress asking why they spent $X mil on new BOQ construction only to have nobody living there. Once occupancy goes over 90-95% most of them will start giving out BAH waivers since the metrics now are OK.