• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Government Housing NAS Whiting?

Whirly

Does anyone know what the deal is with living in government housing in Milton? I just selected helicopters and was told that we are required to live in the BOQ or in Whiting Pines. I guess Whiting Pines isn't a bad deal, but I was going to live closer to Pensacola. I was wondering if any single Navy SNAs have gotten to live elsewhere.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
Sorry man,
I checked in about 2 months ago and all Navy have to live in the BOQ or Whiting Pines if unmarried, (maybe even married?). I guess the BOQ and WP have low occupancy and thus the reason.
However, the Marines and Air Force do not have too... Guess it is good being Marine.
I can give to the # to Student Control; you can talk to a stash, and get the full ruling. (850-623-7148 stucon)

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
I heard that if you have a pitbull you don't have to (aren't allowed to) live in Whiting Pines. So if you happened to acquire a pitbull you might get lucky...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I heard that if you have a pitbull you don't have to (aren't allowed to) live in Whiting Pines. So if you happened to acquire a pitbull you might get lucky...

Why do I get the feeling some enterprising Ensigns are out right now, buying a puppy named "Bah" who will be handed down to every new check-in to NAS Whiting until this rule changes?
:eek::D:icon_tong

teamtornado1

I am reporting to whiting next week for advanced. I called the stash ensign in stucon and he told me what everybody else is confirming, that you have to live in government housing. I am engaged, and living with my fiance, which puts me in an awkward situation. The ensign did tell me that I would probably have a 95% chance of getting my BAH chit approved to live off base (or not in whiting pines), but the XO has the final say on the matter. The crappy part about this whole deal is that you can not get an answer until you show up in Milton. It really puts you in a bind about getting a place to live, and I am sure others can relate to wanting to plan ahead when moving to a new duty station.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
just go back and tell stucon you'd like to reselect for maritime props. problem solved. no more hand wringing necessary.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I have heard from a friend that if you don't submit a request chit, your zip code will change, bah will move and be updated appropriately, pure technique though . . .

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I have heard from a friend that if you don't submit a request chit, your zip code will change, bah will move and be updated appropriately, pure technique though . . .

If you can share with me some secret way to get out of living in base housing, I will compensate you with plentiful alcohol at the O-club Friday.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I started in the StuCon pool in early Nov...I haven't heard of any changes yet- but that doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Married studs are not required to live in housing, although it is a great place to live if you don't mind Milton. Single students are currently required to live in the Q or in housing unless the occupancy rate reaches a point when they no longer have to. Housing is the MUCH better deal due to getting back some of your BAH, not living on the base, and not dealing with the general hassle of the Q.
I lived in housing for about a year, and I thought it was a really nice neighborhood full of like minded people. It is 15 minutes from the squadron and 25-30 minutes from Pensacola. You have built in study partners and a landlord that "gets it" when it comes to military. Weekends were usually spent in someone's carport drinking and bullshitting. It is all privatized now, so I don't know how much it has changed, but I would guess not too much.