• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gouge for Helos?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Fly Navy said:

I'll let you know in a few months when I get to that stage. But they did say on our first day that some NVG flights don't get back til 0300 or thereabouts.

vvmountainvv

as for gouge...when i was there brimble was good. the key is to look up the discuss items yourself in the pubs (NATOPS, FAR/AIM, OPNAV, STAN MAN, etc..) and then get on brimble and read it to fill in any gaps from your studying. that method will do you well.

MasterBates

Fly Navy said:

Because its "Closed Field Ops", although tower is manned. Sometimes they talk to you, other times, it is see and avoid, until they decide you are not landing the way they want passing thru translational.

Also, I am convinced that mayport is gay. I would rather my squadron move to NAS JAX.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
gregsivers said:
I'll let you know in a few months when I get to that stage. But they did say on our first day that some NVG flights don't get back til 0300 or thereabouts.

In the summer, that's pretty normal anywhere, even in the non-DST Hawaiian weirdness.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Sly1978 said:
As for the Navy and NVG training, still no-go.

For a while now, the Navy studs did the NVG introduction and labs, but no NVG flights. In FY07 everyone is supposed to get the full NVG training. Coasties might even get in on this. Many of the instructors coming into the squadrons now already have the 100 (I think) NVG hours required to start the NVG instructor quals. Also, there is money in the budget to modify more Charlies to be NVG compatible. As a cost effective alternative, some instructors have proposed taping two toilet paper tubes to students visors and flying during the day.

RLSki

CH-53 Crewchief
Just a question from the cheap seats, "Who is certifying the Navy Instructors as NVG Instructors?", or as we call them Night Systems Instructors (NSI) in the USMC.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
That's a "has been" designation" RLSKi - itreally doesn't matter anymore. Fleet bubbas are doing everything at night now on ANVIS - as it should be. Get off the horse that somehow NVG is a tactical Marine only thing.

Navy rotary wing is going to go head to head with you guys on missions now that we have tactical proficiency and improved airframes like the MH-60S that can do anything a H-46 can do with more modern sensors and toys.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ummmm not really. The Blue side has come a long way in a short time in regards to NVG training but they arent there yet. The Blue side believed the hype on the ANVIS-9 a little too much trying to do away with the HLL and LLL distinction. I dont care how good the goggles are if there is no light out there to amplify it is still a dark @ss night and not the same as a shiny happy moon illuminating your world.
The Navy has made great strides but they are no more able to replace Marine 46s and the missions they do than a Marine is able to fill in the single ship ASW off a Frigate mission.

The NSI desigantion is just as pertinent today as it has ever been, someone has to teach the new guys how to effectively employ their aircraft at night, it is not the same as the day time!

A wise man once said stay in your lane.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm just going off what current HSC bubbas are telling me with regards to NVG operations...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they are believing their own propaganda a bit. It is a big leap from vertrep to a company insert on a LLL night. The HSC guys have made great strides but it si not the same and their are only a few guys in each squadron that do the SEAL stuff, far cry from a whole squadron able to do a LLL insert.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Grrr...I had something typed and the site dumped on me...

skidkid said:
The Blue side believed the hype on the ANVIS-9 a little too much trying to do away with the HLL and LLL distinction. I dont care how good the goggles are if there is no light out there to amplify it is still a dark @ss night and not the same as a shiny happy moon illuminating your world.

Is this something new? As of a year ago, there were still HLL and LLL syllabus flights on the Navy side.

Also, depending on the wing, not all NVG instructors are NSIs. I was an NVGI, but didn't hold the NSI qual. For us, they wanted something to dole out to the O-4s. For the NSI qual, you needed (in short) a) NVGI qual, b) Night section attack qual'ed, c) NVG TacForm qual'ed, and d) NVG TacForm instructor qual'ed. I was 3 for 4, so never got my qual before I left.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talking to the HSC guys and the guys on their min boss etc tours on the boat they were saying in HSC there was no HLL LLL distinction could be bad gouge though

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Roger. I've been out of the game for a while, too, so I could be wrong as well.