• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gotta be as dangerous as a flight deck...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My wife saw one of these helo's & guys working yesterday on the powerlines that parrallel the James River Bridge. They were putting those "balls" on the wires that you see sometimes. I think it would be cool to try that, but then I really think about it and NO WAY!

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
This occurred to me when it was opened up in the other thread. Can any helo guys explain why the guy is not being knocked to the ground by the helo's downwash? It seems a wind strong enough to lift the helicopter would be strong enough to send this guy flying like a rag doll.

MasterBates

While there is some induced flow (downwash) helo rotors "fly" just like an airplane wing. It's not strictly F=Ma doing it.

Mostly Bernoullis' are flying it, along with some Newtonian lift.

p1brule

Frenchy
pilot
I don't quite understand how the electronics on the helo aren't affected. But I'm no electronical engineer anywho.

"I don't give two hoots and a hollar about being inside a helicopter". word.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
"I don't give two hoots and a hollar about being inside a helicopter". word.
Helicopters don't like you either.

...but, they're very ornery, and really don't like anybody, anyway.

GroundPounder

I always know when they are working lines in the area. We get non-stop 911 calls about the " helicopter that crashed into the wires "