• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Goshawk flyby

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly-over rookies....ideal flyover airspeed is about 270-300 kts in a slight angle of bank. This looked more like high speed Air Force form (same day, same way).

Amen, brother. Some folks forget that the crowd is supposed to actually see the fly-over.

Brett

SETX07

How are flyby's recieved as far as who gets them and which events there done at? I'm sure it depends on bugets and some type of seniority within the wing right?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
The mighty, inspirational, T-45.

Nice TOT, but agreed, they could have pushed earlier (also a funtion of whose doing the talk on) and tightened that thing up. That was the size of an 8 ship form.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How are flyby's recieved as far as who gets them and which events there done at? I'm sure it depends on bugets and some type of seniority within the wing right?

Up in Seattle at SafeCo Field, they're coordinated through the wing (CVWP). Not really a matter of budget or seniority, as every squadron is going to do them at some point. Presumably they're doled out at the all Ops O meetings. I've done a couple of them - always a good time. Never done the fly-by, land @ Boeing field, show up at the game in bags deal w/ rock star treatment to follow, but it is done occasionally. We had a Commodore a few years back who was buddies w/ Ichiro and got us all kinds of good deals like that.

Brett

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I know this was already mentioned, but how exactly are flyby's timed? Do they circling somewhere close to the field and have a ground contact call them in on certain word (Land, free, home, etc.)? Do they circle high and make the descent just for the flyby?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know this was already mentioned, but how exactly are flyby's timed? Do they circling somewhere close to the field and have a ground contact call them in on certain word (Land, free, home, etc.)? Do they circle high and make the descent just for the flyby?

Depends on the area, but ideally you'll hold somewhere with your timing worked out beforehand. The trick is to juggle the rough desired TOT put out by the producers (which is usually way off) and sweeten that up with a guy in the stadium with a radio. You know roughly how long it takes to sing the song, so once it starts, you've got that amount of time to play with your timing and your guy on the ground will update every few seconds. In Seattle, the way the geometry works out, you have to fly right over Boeing field on your run-in, so you get cleared for a low approach by their tower as you fly through - kind of weird, but that's just how it works out. The whole thing is coordinated w/ the FAA as well.

Brett

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot

If you know the length of the anthem, as sung by each individual singer, then a spotter at the field can give you a 2 +/- minute warning to song start, then a call when the song begins. Based on your holding point, you do what it takes to cross the field on the desired run in heading at the desired airspeed and altitude at song's end. Period.

Worst case, the spotter calls and says "sorry guys, the song started 1 minute ago" and you are on the far side of your orbit, which leads to some interesting flying. I was fortunate enough to do a few time-driven flyovers, and I remember one, as the flight lead, making calls that sounded something like this (after a worst case call):
"Eagles, loose cruise, hang on, wrapping it up and going to mil (which means mil power minus a couple for the lead)"

"Speedbrakes....standby....now.....powers coming back"

"Speedbrakes in...now...tighten it up"

"starting the turn"

"rolling out"

"Nice job; beers on me"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you know the length of the anthem, as sung by each individual singer, then a spotter at the field can give you a 2 +/- minute warning to song start, then a call when the song begins. Based on your holding point, you do what it takes to cross the field on the desired run in heading at the desired airspeed and altitude at song's end. Period.

Worst case, the spotter calls and says "sorry guys, the song started 1 minute ago" and you are on the far side of your orbit, which leads to some interesting flying. I was fortunate enough to do a few time-driven flyovers, and I remember one, as the flight lead, making calls that sounded something like this (after a worst case call):
"Eagles, loose cruise, hang on, wrapping it up and going to mil (which means mil power minus a couple for the lead)"

"Speedbrakes....standby....now.....powers coming back"

"Speedbrakes in...now...tighten it up"

"starting the turn"

"rolling out"

"Nice job; beers on me"

I hope your spotter got kicked in the jimmy later on.

Brett