• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Pushup Workouts?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good pushup workouts? At my last PRT I did 71 but I'm wanting to get that up to the 90's.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Something that helped me out immensely. You need a pullup bar or an assisted pull up machine if you're girly like me and can only do one pullup :icon_tong

Do 12 pullups/assisted pullups. Then get on the ground for 24 pushups. 10 pullups, 20 pushups. 8 pullups, 16 pushups, etc. Usually by the 16 pushups your arms will have turned to jello, but if you are super motivated, go all the way down the ladder.

Jared_G

OCS Date: Jul 15, 2006 (Supply)
My friends father (who was in SF for 20+ years) recommended a little workout to me.

You do one push up, wait five seconds, then do two, wait five seconds then proceed to three and eventually work your way up to ten. From ten you wait the five seconds then move down to nine and eventually down to one. I think he said it will total onehundred pushups when you finish. It works your endurance and allows you to push through the burn. The five second waiting period really helps out but still gives you a good workout. Personally I have never done the whole thing but I have gotten to the ten rep set.

I have no idea if this will drastically help you out or not but I increased my pushups by thirteen (from 50-63) in one month by doing this along with various other exercises.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Purdue Jones said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good pushup workouts? At my last PRT I did 71 but I'm wanting to get that up to the 90's.

Benching really helped me increase my push-up endurance (63----> 106). Yea....i know huh? Pretty ridiculous u say. But its the truth. Flat benching, incline and decline, it really helped me a bunch. Be sure to have spotter when lifting too heavy.

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
Pushups have always been my week point on the PRT. For over a year I had been doing the once-a-day workouts (several sets of so many, pyramids, etc) and it just never got me very far. I'd be doign sets of 30, 35 on a good day (note: thats for 4-5 sets, my PRT scores were around 45).

I started doing the Armstrong Pullup workout (ask any marine, or google for it. www.texasmarineofficer.com/armstrong.html i think an address for it). Part of it is starting your day with 3 max effort sets, about 5 minutes between sets. When they say max effort, go until you need to use your tongue to drag yourself to the shower, not until you feel really sore. Then theres the actual pullup workout later in the day (can be done in less than half an hour).

Since I also work an office job 9-5, I try to slip off to the back room every once in a while and just pound out a quick set. Usually I can't get in more than 3 or 4 sets during the day, but it's better than nothing, and after a week of that your arms are so consistently sore that it doesnt bug you to keep pushing for those last few reps.