• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good place to get PRK surgery near Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeAE2005

I'm looking at getting PRK surgery as soon as possible. I'm currently in Daytona Beach, FL. Does anyone have any recommendations on clinics? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Joe

JoeAE2005

I also have another question. I keep on seeing these PRK surgery waiver charts for the Navy. Here is an example here:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blnavylasereyesurgery.htm

For the "Surgery Prior to Entry on Active Duty is Disqualifying" row, it says "yes" for aviation. Does this mean that you have to wait till you are on active duty before you get PRK? This can't be right, because I've read things contradicting it and people on these forums have had PRK before they joined. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting it. Can anyone clear this up?

-Joe

bvonstein

Joe,

I'm assuming your at Riddle...hince the JOE..AE 2005 name, I'm also at ERAU and had my PRK performed here in Daytona. If you don't want to travel far you can look into Dr. Filutowski Eye Institute. He mostly does intra-lasik these days because there is no need to do PRK anymore, but if you request it he can do it for you. I had my surgery done 6 months ago and am relativly happy with my results, I am still have a few complications due to my specific situation. Hes also working with about 5 or 6 other future naval aviators he told me. So I'm sure they are lurking around this website somewhere. His offices are located off Beville Road. If your going south on Clyde Morris and you turn right on Beville you will see it about 2 miles down on the left hand side. I beleive you turn left on Yorktowne Drive...You can find the address and phone number online. The consultation is free so i suggest you atleast go in and see if you are a good candidate for PRK.

As for the second part of your question. Any eye surgery is disqualifying in the Navy. PRK is the only eye surgery that is waiverable though. This just means you have to be waivered and accepted into the PRK Accession Study Program. You will have to get your PRK surgery before your application goes out because you won't be qualified for the slot you want otherwise. You have to wait a minimum of 3 months after your surgery before applying assuming your vision meets the mandatory requirements.

"Pre-operative refractive error must be no worse than SNFO applicant standards except that maximum allowable hyperopia is no greater than +6.00 D total diopters sphere. Post-operative refractive stability is required and documented as follows. A final manifest refraction must be performed no sooner than three months after surgery for pre-operative refractive error in the range plano to –5.50 total diopters sphere (mild to moderate myopia), and no sooner than six months after surgery for pre-operative refractive error in the range –5.75 to –8.00 or +0.25 to +6.00 total diopters sphere (high myopia or any hyperopia). This final manifest refraction shall be compared to a previous manifest refraction performed at least one month prior to the final. Neither sphere nor cylinder may change by more than 0.50 D in each eye. If the interval change exceeds the standard, further manifest refractions must be performed at one month intervals until stability is demonstrated. Only the final two manifest refractions demonstrating stability with dates should be recorded on the applicant SF-88. The member must meet all other vision standards appropriate to his or her class of duty. A post-operative cycloplegic refraction with date must be reported for SNA accessions."

You may want to print these pre and post-op requirements out and have them tell you if you are within Pre-Operative limitations. No point wasting your money if you vision is out of the initial limitations to begin with.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I know there is alot to try and figure out. I've been there.

Just do a search for "Filutowski" on the internet and you'll get the contact info, he was two offices...one in Lake Mary and in Daytona...you'll have the surgery done in Lake Mary and then all your Post-Op check-ups here in Daytona.

FlyGirl

If you need to find any doctor: http://www.ama-assn.org That's the American Medical Assoication. You can use the doctor finder and search for any doctor by last name and state....or search by type of practice. Hope that helps.

There are no rules, just follow your heart. - Robin Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.