• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good Defense Shells

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
othromas said:
On a less lethal note, I talked to my dad a little about the friend I mentioned above, and he mentioned that my uncle (VT conservation agent for many years) recommended having a CO2 fire extinguisher next to the bed for women who weren't really interested in firearms and weren't really safe/accurate with them. Apparently they're loud, surprising, and disorienting enough to dissuade an intruder/attacker who wasn't totally insane.

Good lord... no.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Suggest #1 Buck ... For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 ¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice ... see the link for an expanded discussion:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

** edit** I have found FirearmsTactical.com to generally put out good info ... minimal B.S., IMO .... the above link also includes a discussion of one of the newer "designer" cartriges entitled ... ".357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?"

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Thanks for the input and links. I'm going to pick the thing up in a day or two, and I've got a line on a nice empty clay pit to burn through a few boxes of shells this weekend. So any HT types would do well to steer clear of the orange/purple routes.

Next question: I used to have a Wilson 'Ghost Ring' rear sight on my old 870, and I'm a fan. But I'm curious if anyone else has had good experiences with anything of the sort. Not that anything is a substitute for some serious practice-induced muscle memory, of course.

Now, some of you are wondering why I'm getting a new scattergun, and it involves an intruder story. A furry intruder. My little sister woke up one night, thinking she was petting the dog, only it wasn't the dog. When she turned on the light, the raccoon in her bed hissed at her and bolted. My (decidedly anti-gun) father's first reaction, of course, was to grab every firearm I owned, plus a pellet rifle, and burst into my sister's room like a Rambo wannabe. He searched the house, 1911 at the ready, until he gave up trying to find the thing. So, before going to bed (or putting my guns away), he decides to use the facilities. When he turns on the lights, lo-and-behold, there's Mr. Raccoon, chilling ON the wall and staring at pops. My dad decides to put the critter down, and points the barrel of my .30-06 right at our houseguest. Now, I might not agree with my dad's stance on gun laws, or even politics in general, but God bless him, he paused to consider the ramifications of his actions before squeezing off a round. ....And he realized that immediately on the other side of the flimsy, interior wall was the head of my sister's bed, which contained my little sister. So, he thought twice about it (Mr. Raccoon was polite enough to oblige him a small delay, and remained more or less in place), and he realized that he was left with only one viable option: The pellet rifle. So, my father proceeds to pump about 4-5 .177 pellets into this thing, cranking down on the cocking lever and fumbling a new pellet into the chamber each time. Mr. Raccoon, understandibly offended by his host's rudeness, makes his way into a corner by the door and prepares his last stand. Pretty soon after that, my dad realizes the tiny little projectiles aren't really doing much, so he whips the pellet rifle around and starts a little close combat action. A good 2 minutes later, all that's left is a furry pile of lumps, and more blood than he thought possible. (There's still some fur caught in the hinges, by the way.)

The next morning, I recieved an email, detailing the incedent and my mother's subsequent ultimatum: Get rid of the guns, now, or she will. Seeing as I was stuck at the boat school with no transportation (and no legal place to store them), the only option I was afforded was sale. ~sigh~

Lawman

None
gaijin6423 said:
Thanks for the input and links. I'm going to pick the thing up in a day or two, and I've got a line on a nice empty clay pit to burn through a few boxes of shells this weekend. So any HT types would do well to steer clear of the orange/purple routes.

Next question: I used to have a Wilson 'Ghost Ring' rear sight on my old 870, and I'm a fan. But I'm curious if anyone else has had good experiences with anything of the sort. Not that anything is a substitute for some serious practice-induced muscle memory, of course.

Now, some of you are wondering why I'm getting a new scattergun, and it involves an intruder story. A furry intruder. My little sister woke up one night, thinking she was petting the dog, only it wasn't the dog. When she turned on the light, the raccoon in her bed hissed at her and bolted. My (decidedly anti-gun) father's first reaction, of course, was to grab every firearm I owned, plus a pellet rifle, and burst into my sister's room like a Rambo wannabe. He searched the house, 1911 at the ready, until he gave up trying to find the thing. So, before going to bed (or putting my guns away), he decides to use the facilities. When he turns on the lights, lo-and-behold, there's Mr. Raccoon, chilling ON the wall and staring at pops. My dad decides to put the critter down, and points the barrel of my .30-06 right at our houseguest. Now, I might not agree with my dad's stance on gun laws, or even politics in general, but God bless him, he paused to consider the ramifications of his actions before squeezing off a round. ....And he realized that immediately on the other side of the flimsy, interior wall was the head of my sister's bed, which contained my little sister. So, he thought twice about it (Mr. Raccoon was polite enough to oblige him a small delay, and remained more or less in place), and he realized that he was left with only one viable option: The pellet rifle. So, my father proceeds to pump about 4-5 .177 pellets into this thing, cranking down on the cocking lever and fumbling a new pellet into the chamber each time. Mr. Raccoon, understandibly offended by his host's rudeness, makes his way into a corner by the door and prepares his last stand. Pretty soon after that, my dad realizes the tiny little projectiles aren't really doing much, so he whips the pellet rifle around and starts a little close combat action. A good 2 minutes later, all that's left is a furry pile of lumps, and more blood than he thought possible. (There's still some fur caught in the hinges, by the way.)

The next morning, I recieved an email, detailing the incedent and my mother's subsequent ultimatum: Get rid of the guns, now, or she will. Seeing as I was stuck at the boat school with no transportation (and no legal place to store them), the only option I was afforded was sale. ~sigh~

I did something similar (though not overkill with firepower). Chased a rat the size of my sisters Pug into the bathroom of my old apartment. Had the girlfriend bring me my roommates CO2 powered Airsoft pistol with the metal BB's in it. 2 Magazines later he was still alive but I dont think he was happy about it. Finally ended up just setting a trash can on top of him, tossing a couple chuncks of bread soaked in peanut butter and anti freeze in with him. He ate those, then he died. God I hate Rats.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
....Next question: I used to have a Wilson 'Ghost Ring' rear sight on my old 870, and I'm a fan. But I'm curious if anyone else has had good experiences with anything of the sort.....
Ghost rings are the ONLY way to go with a tactical shotgun. I've never used the Trijicon variety, only the straight, Mossberg product-- even in low light drills. On both a Winchester and a Mossberg. Oh, yeah -- I also used the Benelli's on a couple occasions. All work great. I've used them and taught them for years and with rings you can cut a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper in fourths @ 25-35 yards with 00 --- a so-called HRT "hostage rescue" scenario in training.

gaijin6423 said:
....Now, some of you are wondering why I'm getting a new scattergun, and it involves an intruder story. A furry intruder. ...... and my mother's subsequent ultimatum: Get rid of the guns, now, or she will.
Yes, for sure ... yet ANOTHER example of a gun-related crime. :)

theduke

"Escalation of Force" loads (ie. non-lethal -> lethal) are an even worse idea. They are a legal nightmare

Yep. In the eyes of the law, if a situation isn't dire enough for you to justify killing the guy, it isn't dire enough for you to justify shooting him at all.

and besides that, I wouldn't want him seeking retribution or dreaming up any creative stuff to say against me in court. Sorry dude...that's the price doing business to the detriment of others.

and yeah, a 12 gauge is bad medicine...00 will certainly work, but #1 or 0 is fine too, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know, maybe it would overpenetrate a little less?

Old NFO

None
Barnard1425 said:
I´ll take the opposite stance- wouldn´t birdshot at home defense range (i.e. 20 feet or less) still be devastating? I know it´s small shot, but it´s not like it has a chance to spread out and form a pattern. I would imagine the load would still be about baseball-sized (if that) when it hits the target. That is to say, a baseball that´s made of lead and is traveling 1,700 fps.

All in all not the defense round that 00 buckshot is, and therefore not the answer to skidkid´s question (so I´m threadjacking... oops :) ) But let´s not kid ourselves here- 7 shot is still going to put a grapefruit-sized hole in somebody.

Not really- You want either Federal Tactical or Estate Tactical 00 buck (9- .32 pellets). The birdshot will not penetrate far enough to do anything other that p*ss them off, whereas 00 buck will put them down. Also, you need to pattern the gun at 5, 10, 15 yards to look at what your real spread is. If you are getting flyers, go to a different load. The reason I suggested the two above, is they are what I use in my 870 that I shoot in competition. Also, I keep 3 rounds of slugs in the side saddle "just in case".:D

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I finally (damn tax season) got a chance to pattern my 870 yesterday, and it shoots like a dream. I warmed up a bit with some target loads, and then moved on to some 00 buck. I do believe we've found a winner in the shell contest, too. The guy who sold me the thing threw in half a dozen boxes of Hornady's TAP shells (00 buck; 2 3/4 in), and I'm pretty much sold. Nice, tight groups at all ranges I fired at, no feeding issues, and designed specifically to put people down.

Old NFO

None
gaijin6423 said:
I finally (damn tax season) got a chance to pattern my 870 yesterday, and it shoots like a dream. I warmed up a bit with some target loads, and then moved on to some 00 buck. I do believe we've found a winner in the shell contest, too. The guy who sold me the thing threw in half a dozen boxes of Hornady's TAP shells (00 buck; 2 3/4 in), and I'm pretty much sold. Nice, tight groups at all ranges I fired at, no feeding issues, and designed specifically to put people down.

That's great- Now you need to get the slugs....:D Seriously, I'd recommend either Cabella's or Cheaper than Dirt, or Ammoman for more shells. They have the best prices for case lot buys. Also, get to the range and PRACTICE! I normally buy 1000 rounds at a time, and have them delivered to work... My secretary has learned if a box comes for me, she doesn't even try to move it :D