• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gollden Retriever Puppies

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now that the subject has been brought up, and we made it to post 14 without a thread jack...

Threadjack:
How does military life work with having a dog? I would love to have one, but I would assume with deployments and everything else you would be too busy to have one. Is it a only if you have a family kind of thing?

If you're single, it doesn't. Between work-ups and deployments, you're just gone too much. Some people do it, but I don't know why.

Brett

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Threadjack:
How does military life work with having a dog? I would love to have one, but I would assume with deployments and everything else you would be too busy to have one. Is it a only if you have a family kind of thing?

Unless you have easy access to family close by, having pets doesn't really jive with Naval Aviation (or the Navy at all, for that matter). Lucky for me, my SO takes care of our dogs (2) and cats (2) when I'm gone. She's pretty awesome about it even though they drive her nuts. I think she could take them or leave them.

Without digressing too much further, though, even the simplest things can make pet ownership a hassle. Things to think about....

Double-pumped with a 12 hour (or more) crew day? Who's taking care of them?
Cross-country?
Duty days?
Work ups?
Deployments?

Please don't get any pet until you can answer these questions and you're able to have your pets cared for in your absence.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
....my SO.....
(Brett - I'll take care of this......)

And the pussification of the American male continues.....SO?...SO??...SO???...take that ghey term to the Spouses Corner......do you call yourself her DB? :eek:

To paraphrase an icon.....I weep for the future of America's manhood.....:banghead_

(This isn"t the girl you sent home way back when is it?)

Cactijosh

Having pets and being in the navy doesn't jive? Give me a break...

If you train your dog properly you won't have any problems. Most dogs can go well over 12hrs without making a mess. My dog just sleeps the whole time I'm gone. Obviously if you're out of town a lot you'll need a good kennel, but they're not hard to find. When you get deployed leave the dog with your parents, or a friend. If your dog is cool the only thing you have to worry about is them returning you man's best friend when you get home.

Besides, I could be wrong but I think there is a long military tradition of dog ownership

boobcheese

Agree with all that having a pet, especially a golden that requires a lot of attention, as a single stud may not be the best decision. Please seriously consider wether you will be able to take care of one of these dogs before you make the commitment. That having been said, I would like to unload them before my daughter has me adopting the whole lot.:eek:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with all that having a pet, especially a golden that requires a lot of attention, as a single stud may not be the best decision. Please seriously consider wether you will be able to take care of one of these dogs before you make the commitment. That having been said, I would like to unload them before my daughter has me adopting the whole lot.:eek:

If you have some left that you can't get rid of, I have a sack and a couple bricks and would be glad to drown them for you. :D

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
What are we offended about, the abbreviation, or the term "significant other" itself?

And as far as DB, what the he!! ever happened to BF or GF? Or is DB supposed to be something between BF and finance?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
What are we offended about, the abbreviation, or the term "significant other" itself?

And as far as DB, what the he!! ever happened to BF or GF? Or is DB supposed to be something between BF and finance?

Ahhhh...not offended, wasn't thinking along those lines...thanks for the explination though...

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
So ahh...how'd you settle on the name boobcheese?

I can't even say it without feeling very silly.:p