• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to IOC before Flight School

msandrews

livin' the dream
I couldn't find anything about this on the forums, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

I was talking to a Marine Capt and he said that when he went through TBS there was an opportunity for Marine LT's to go to the Infantry Officer's Course in between TBS and flight school. Naturally, it's been a few years since he went through so I was wondering if any Marines recently out of flight school or in flight school could tell me if this is still an open opportunity.

Thanks for the help gents.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
no, not a current "opportunity". After 6 months at TBS, you won't want to go through IOC anyway.

It used to be back in the 90s when classes were small. IOC is huge now, as we are chewing through infantry types. They are actually trying to get Air contracts to drop and go ground(with a huge emphasis that you would probably go infantry). So no, it's not an opportunity now.

And like Cummins said; you really won't want to go to IOC after you finish the BOC...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Speak for yourself, if they'd let me I'd do IOC in a heartbeat.

IOC is so backlogged right now, that I have heard some 0203/0302's are actually getting pushed to the next class because they are full to the brim.

murryton

pilot
After TBS, I WANTED to go to IOC; however, it was backlogged. Yes, there are some of us in flight school who still love groundpounding.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
It's been offered to air contracts once or twice within the last few years. It just depends on your timing, but it doesn't sound likely for you given the current trends noted above.

AJB37

Why would the let an air contract go through IOC? I would do it if I could, but that is because I'm still considering switching to a ground contract. I just don't understand the reasoning behind letting an air contract go through IOC before going to flight school.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Why would the let an air contract go through IOC? I would do it if I could, but that is because I'm still considering switching to a ground contract. I just don't understand the reasoning behind letting an air contract go through IOC before going to flight school.

The same reasoning that we go to TBS before flight school. Makes you a more well rounded Marine Officer.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

They had IOC slots open and Aviators had the time to do it.

Crowbar

None
Funny, the aviators I know who did IOC are the same ones who run like hell any time "FAC tour" is mentioned.

KBayDog

Funny, the aviators I know who did IOC are the same ones who run like hell any time "FAC tour" is mentioned.

And the same ones are all about a FAC tour if the only other option is an IA as a watch officer.

Funny how that works out.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny... I'm looking forward to my FAC tour, yet had (and still have) no desire to attend IOC.

And sorry, I don't buy into the belief that attending IOC makes you a "more well rounded Marine officer." I promise, as an aviator, you will understand the overall employment of the MAGTF and battle space far better than the average grunt will. People seem to understand the battle space below them a lot better than the one above them.

See, blanket statements are fun for everyone.