• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to Hawaii for first time, need advice.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Just looking to relax, do some snorkeling, maybe SCUBA, surfing, good food, etc for 2 or 3 weeks. Not sure which island would be ideal for that. Don't care about the hotels, whatever is cheapest will work. Any advice on which island or even specific beaches/areas?

I would check out Sharks Cove, located on North Shore, on Oahu, it was one of my favorite snorkeling haunts when I lived there from 1993-96. Also there is Waimea Bay and Waialua bay on North Shore.

Also if you see the Native locals on the beach but not in the water emulate them. Advice that was given to me by the locals. The reason why; waves this time of year can be brutal.

leo20307

Rhinos
None
Sandy Beach on Oahu was always a favorite of mine- maybe because it was prefaced in the travel guides with a little skull and crossbones labeled "Most head and neck injuries occur here"... Not for surfing, just real powerful waves (only about 10 ft maybe) but real close to shore with strong undercurrents from what I remember. Great bodyboarding, and wave riding. Further on down the road in Waimanalo (sp) is Bellows Beach, which is an old Air Force field where the first Japanese midget sub washed ashore during Pearl Harbor. The beach is open to the public on the weekends, but during the week we owned the place. Nothing too spectacular wave wise, just a great place to hang out on a beach if you don't want the crowds.

Go to North Shore for surfing.

Snorkeling- Hanauma Bay just outside of Waikiki is a must. Beautiful coral reefs and marine life right next to you. I'm pretty sure it is free to get in, but they overcharge on snorkel rentals, etc. Great place for a day trip or even an afternoon-We just rented gear from MWR at the Hickam Air Force base for dirt cheap for a week.

If you want to golf- Kaneohe Marine Corps Base oceanside course is a must. Absolutely amazing back nine overlooking the water. Club rental there was really easy as well.

Angels

Contributor
Our travel agent said that Maui has the best beaches. After being to Oahu and Maui I have to agree. There seems to be alot more to do on Oahu though. Like Pearl Harbor. Maui seems to be a little more expensive probably because it is mostly condos versus the millions of hotels on Oahu ranging greatly in price. I didn't really care for Waikiki beach (on Oahu) because it was just really crowded. I third Hanauma Bay, worth the cost. The Big Island is the other popular one. Haven't been (yet) but the travel agent said that's the one to go to for all the volcanoes and black sand beaches. The other islands are much smaller and kinda out there, on your own type. Have fun! I'm jealous!

Citation3

Only two words....PUKA DOG

If you can get on base a walk around Ford Island is great. Pot marks in the concret from strafing runs, bullet holes in hangar glass, and old housing is pretty cool for a history buff like me. Many parts are intact and left like they were on the day of the Dec 7th attack.

Now, that said...only two words can sum up any recommendation I can make. After 3 trips to Honolulu...PUKA DOG says it all. Disturbing yet delicious on so many levels.

pukadog.jpg

www.pukadog.com

navyterp67

pilot
A few things I remember from my 2/c MIDN cruise...

As others have said, Lanikai and Kailua are great because they are beautiful, less-crowded beaches. Also, you can kayak to the "The Mokes," or the twin islands off the beach at Kailua. Huge sea turtles out there.

I only surfed once, and it was at White Plains. If you don't like locals giving you the stink-eye and calling you Haole, I wouldn't go there.

If you like a long hike and jumping off a ~40ft waterfall, then you should do the hike to Maunawili Falls. Another good hike was Diamonhead, and it had a great view at the top.

Waimea Bay is awesome. Nice beach with a large rock for jumping and good swimming. Also, if you go further up the road, you will find a few good shrimp shacks. I highly recommend Giovanni's.

There are also the usual tourist spots such as the Dole Plantation and its pineapple ice cream, the Shave Ice (not shaved), and Waikiki.

Some other things:
-Do not hang out with the girls wearing clear heels in Waikiki lol
-If you must try the Stairway to Heaven, start early in the morning before the security guard gets there

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
-If you must try the Stairway to Heaven, start early in the morning before the security guard gets there

You must. I recommend parking your car near Hope Chapel at about 4 am if you want the short up/down experience. Park at Tripler in the early light to start from the bottom and do the 10 mile monstrosity. Bring a flashlight. It's one of the most unique things I've found on Oahu, and well worth the effort.