• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going On Leave At/Before NIFE

Nax

Title says it all really, I'm heading down to NASP soon as SNA and I've heard about the backlog of pilots classing up, so my question is how relaxed/stringent is the leave policy at NASP while waiting to class up (I can understand if you are in class its not happening unless emergency's maybe). The main reasoning is I was invited to go to Japan for a week with friends in a few months and its something I've always wanted to do so I didn't want to let this opportunity pass by. Is my leave likely to get approved or denied? Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Title says it all really, I'm heading down to NASP soon as SNA and I've heard about the backlog of pilots classing up, so my question is how relaxed/stringent is the leave policy at NASP while waiting to class up (I can understand if you are in class its not happening unless emergency's maybe). The main reasoning is I was invited to go to Japan for a week with friends in a few months and its something I've always wanted to do so I didn't want to let this opportunity pass by. Is my leave likely to get approved or denied? Thanks.

Have you asked student control / your chain of command about this?

Nax

I have not, figured if I could get an answer here it would be better than go over and bothering them. Also would it not involve stucon as I'll be at pensacola at the time? I guess I'll go ask anyway today or tomorrow.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I have not, figured if I could get an answer here it would be better than go over and bothering them. Also would it not involve stucon as I'll be at pensacola at the time? I guess I'll go ask anyway today or tomorrow.
I have less and zero information when it comes to NIFE and such, but I will note that international leave throws an extra layer of complexity into the mix. You might need to finish an online class or two.

Planes83

While you're in A pool, leave is common to request. If you're just showing up, you're most likely going to have to at least finish your prerequisites like NAMI and APIT/PRT but not 100% on that so don't quote me. For requesting leave, you just submit leave chit via NSIPS and the appropriate A pool DivO in STUCON will route your chit. As far as getting approved for your leave, that's a case by case basis obviously so cant tell you if it'd be approved or not

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Whoever you talk to on a regular basis... yes please ask. That's their job...

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I took 28 days of leave to get married and go to England & Greece. That was 18 years ago. I'm sure nothing has changed since then.

I wouldn't make plans until you check in and get the lay of the land. After that, just be professional and ask nice, but back it up with reading the applicable instructions and having your paperwork in order. The Foreign Clearance Guide website is a good place to start.

Mouselovr

Contributor
I was in APool a little over a year ago. Took international leave to a “yellow flag country” ie has potential dangers for military.

Japan should be a cake walk in constrast.

There’s an international leave coordinator. You’ll work with them to get everything in for approval. Put the request in sooner rather than later

Leave is super common. No reason it shouldn’t be approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nax

BDavis11

Contributor
I was in APool a little over a year ago. Took international leave to a “yellow flag country” ie has potential dangers for military.

Japan should be a cake walk in constrast.

There’s an international leave coordinator. You’ll work with them to get everything in for approval. Put the request in sooner rather than later

Leave is super common. No reason it shouldn’t be approved.
confirmed. they want you to take leave if you have it. First day here people were submitting leave.

Nax

confirmed. they want you to take leave if you have it. First day here people were submitting leave.
That's good to hear, I have a a buddy graduating from AF OTS in May and he wanted me to commission him as well, lotta leave to be spent as soon as I get there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would recommend you personally talk to the person who approves leave, and explain your desires so that when your leave pops into his/her inbox, it’s not a surprise. They can also tell you the pre-travel requirements for international travel. Consider it greasing the wheels before you set it in motion…no one likes surprises.