• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going from PLC Jrs-Srs. to NROTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen

I just finished my stint in India company for the summer, but I'm already planning ahead to finishing up OCS.

While in Quantico, I heard one Captain there went PLC-Jrs, then started NROTC and went Golf company for his last 6 weeks. Sounded like a good way to stay locked on and finish OCS - any thoughts?

orthaj

you would probably be better off just staying put where you are at with the PLC program. I don't know that tuition benefits are really any better for NROTC. Keep this in mind if you withdraw from the PLC program you may not get accepted for the NROTC program and then you would end up having to do the ten week OCC program if you want to stay with it. If you want to stay locked on...keep yourself locked on, PT at least three times a week and read lots of "moto material" when and where you can find it. Bug your OSO about reading material, he (or she) ought to have a good idea about what to read about the Corps.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Citizen- this is just pure speculation here- but wouldn't going from PLC to NROTC jeopardize your air contract as well?

Citizen

i'm not too worried about money - i get plenty in scholarships and should have no problem finishing school. It's OCS, and what would be the best way to complete it that i'm wondering about.

Going to the toughest company at OCS after a year off is something I'm not looking forward to. Not to say that i was an unsat candidate in India company, but my potential commission is something i'm not taking chances with.

I'll find out about the air contract, but that is a good point - i would probably have to break ties with my OSO.

There's probably a good reason why I only heard of one Marine at OCS having gone this path . . .

orthaj

here is my advice for what it is worth. If were a very unsat candidate and DID NOT GRADUATE graduate PLC Jr I would. I would go NROTC if you still want to be a Marine. If you DID GRADUATE PLC Jr, no matter how badly you did (even if you were at the very bottom of the platoon) I would continue on the PLC Sr path. But its up to you. OCS is tough either way.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Something that I've been trying to explain to my parents and others about PLC-Combined and OCC. What's the difference? I know that PLC-Combo is for Juniors that have some school left to take and OCC is for people that have already graduated. That means an OCC class could have someone who's 23 or someone who's 28. I'm asking about the training differences? What are the differences in the training and evaluating between the two? I'm looking to go PLC-Combined this upcoming summer, and when you get asked by someone that knows nothing about the military and they want to know the difference, I would like to give them a decent answer. Any help? Thanks.

Citizen

While at OCS i was told that there were both PLC-combined and OCC candidates in Charlie company over this past summer. I'm guessing that there really isn't that much difference in training between PLC and OCC. But one thing is for sure - there is a huge difference between PLC-combined/OCC and PLC-jrs/srs. OCCers do get commissioned upon graduation and get the first crack at TBS, another difference.

Looking back I seriously wish that I had held off and gone to combined next summer, so I could do one 10 week shot instead of doing all 10 weeks of real OCS in 6 during seniors.

oh, and by the way, ages in juniors went from 17 to 27, although most of us were 19 and 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.