• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Glasses & Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright, I need to ask a few questions concerning all those 'four-eyed' people out there:
- When one gets to OCS, do they issue him the BCG's within those first few days? I've been looking at the OCS photo archive, and I've been seeing that some of the canidates are wearing their own pair. I've seen this particularly in the "Inspection" archive.
- Can you wear your own pair of glasses, or are you required to wear the BCG's?
- Where do you get that nifty strap that goes around the back your head to hold your glasses in place?
- What about contacts? If one brings them to OCS, will they be held as contraband? Can you even wear them at all while you're there? If so, can you get your family to send you some through snail mail? I would like to have a pair at OCS for graduation and weekend liberty.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless it has changed lately, you can keep your own glasses. They make no effort to issue eye glasses in OCS. Don't remember the contact lense policy. I have to tell you though, I don't think you want to wear contacts given all the physical activity. There is dirt, dust, lots of water etc. Your DI will not give you time to clean or change contacts if it becomes a problem. I wouldn't recommend it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just noticed you are going to Quantico. My experience is from Navy OCS. Still, the recommendation against contacts applies.

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
EA-6B1,

I was told by my OSO that you cannot wear contacts during training at Quantico...However, you can take them and store them with your civvie stuff and get them out when you go on liberty.

I'm not sure if they will issue BCG...Based on what I've seen either they do or a lot of people shop at the same supplier...nice, big, brown/black ugly glasses, INC.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Well, I hope I get to wear my own glasses for as long as I can. They're real sturdy. I hope I can wear my contacts for graduation... my parents will be proud regardless, but it would be nice to have seen them for the first time in 10 weeks minus the BCG's. :)

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
I know what you're saying...I don't even have glasses, strange as it sounds, I guess I've got to go pick up some of those before too much longer...Had them once, but didn't get new ones as my head got too big for them...lol. Shaved head and BCG's yeah its really me honey...'what divorce papers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.