• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Give it a shot?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget, Naval Aviators have green uniforms too!

l_4c0b596d28166242c74b464ceceb774e.jpg

Shameless plug. :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
......and while I'd love to fly, the opportunity to serve my country would be enough for me.
You are serving your country, just in a different way. Cops have my respect as much as those in the military.

Lawman

None
I'm currently a Police Officer re-evaluating my career choice. I absolutely love my job, I make good money, and at the end of 25 years, I will have a very nice pension. That said, I've been giving a lot of thought to becoming a Naval officer.

I graduated high school in 2005, and chose not to pursue college; instead, I took the police exam, and came on the job in September 2006. I was in JROTC throughout my four years of high school, and held a leadership position within the cadet battalion. Because of some foolish decision-making on my part, my grades were mediocre. It was never an issue of comprehension, but rather my lack of initiative - I chose to "skate" and do only what was necessary to get by.

Though I'd be taking a substantial paycut in doing so, I've been giving a lot of thought to applying to college and an NROTC scholarship. Though, as I said, my grades weren't the best, I still have very close ties to all of my former teachers, all of whom would be more than willing to write letters of recommendation. I'm also on good terms with a few Marine Officers and SNCOs who would also be willing to write letters, as well as a US Senator.

What are my chances of getting a decent shot? I'd like to earn this on my own, without having to ask the Senator to push for me, but it's always an option. How competitive would I be without his help?

V/R,

How set is your shift schedule. Do you do a lot of swing shifts? Do you work day or night only? Could you potentially get some schooling done on a part time basis without leaving your department?

This would be a big help into going and demonstrating that you dont have the same "skate through it with no effort" approach to schooling as you used to. If you have a respected local community college or small state school and can get on for some part time Gen Ed classes you know you'll need anyway (Engish, Math, Humantities/Social Sciences) why not knock them out now. Then when it comes time to go asking for the dream ticket of an NROTC spot you've got even more fight in your corner. Also it lets you stay on the force longer while doing so giving you more of the experiance everybody seems to want you to have. And it can save you a couple semesters/quarters when you do pull out to go full time school and have no job bringing in that income your used to. This can be critical if your already carrying large debts (house, car, credit cards) because never ever bank on school being exactly what the pamphlet says it would cost.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
How set is your shift schedule. Do you do a lot of swing shifts? Do you work day or night only? Could you potentially get some schooling done on a part time basis without leaving your department?

This would be a big help into going and demonstrating that you dont have the same "skate through it with no effort" approach to schooling as you used to. If you have a respected local community college or small state school and can get on for some part time Gen Ed classes you know you'll need anyway (Engish, Math, Humantities/Social Sciences) why not knock them out now. Then when it comes time to go asking for the dream ticket of an NROTC spot you've got even more fight in your corner. Also it lets you stay on the force longer while doing so giving you more of the experiance everybody seems to want you to have. And it can save you a couple semesters/quarters when you do pull out to go full time school and have no job bringing in that income your used to. This can be critical if your already carrying large debts (house, car, credit cards) because never ever bank on school being exactly what the pamphlet says it would cost.

Along that thin line of working and schooling. I have a good friend who went to school full time AND he was a member of the campus police. Every time I'd see him on campus I'd ask if he was carrying, and he always was. How cool is that? Many people laugh at campus police, but if your school is in a no shit downtown area wedged between the main subway/bus station, the state capitol, and the local overcrowded charity hospital, they tend to come in pretty handy (think drugs, hookers, and bumfights).

Just a thought. If you can get on with campus police they'd probably be quite accomodating to let you ply your trade and still go to school. That is unless you're at some butthole school that is tacitly against it.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Along that thin line of working and schooling. I have a good friend who went to school full time AND he was a member of the campus police. Every time I'd see him on campus I'd ask if he was carrying, and he always was. How cool is that? Many people laugh at campus police, but if your school is in a no shit downtown area wedged between the main subway/bus station, the state capitol, and the local overcrowded charity hospital, they tend to come in pretty handy (think drugs, hookers, and bumfights).

Just a thought. If you can get on with campus police they'd probably be quite accomodating to let you ply your trade and still go to school. That is unless you're at some butthole school that is tacitly against it.

Some schools have legit police forces too, not just rent-a-cops. Here at Vandy the VUPD is actually a division of Metro, so if they bust you you're going downtown :eek: But it's definitely something to look into.

Unfortunately, tranferring to a campus PD isn't really an option. Because I don't work for a civil service department, I can't lateral to a different agency, which would mean a huge loss of pay & seniority for me.

Lawman, I work days (0730-1530) with a 4 on/3 off, 4 on/3 off, 4 on/2 off schedule. Because we come in a day earlier every other week, scheduling becomes difficult. Taking classes at night is definitely a route to explore, but I'm holding off on making any decisions until I look at all of my options & decide what to do. My ideal situation would be to get selected for an NROTC scholarship, minimizing the financial sting. As you said, school can get expensive, and I won't be brining in the big bucks anymore. How do most Midshipmen get by?

I've been told that should I decide to apply, I would get a nomination to USNA, but seeing as how I haven't been in a classroom since 2005, I'd rather not jump right into that level of academics. I'm not even sure if I'd meet the minimum requirements anyway. I did very well on the SATs, but that was back in 2003 or 2004.

Lawman

None
Lawman, I work days (0730-1530) with a 4 on/3 off, 4 on/3 off, 4 on/2 off schedule. Because we come in a day earlier every other week, scheduling becomes difficult. Taking classes at night is definitely a route to explore, but I'm holding off on making any decisions until I look at all of my options & decide what to do. My ideal situation would be to get selected for an NROTC scholarship, minimizing the financial sting. As you said, school can get expensive, and I won't be brining in the big bucks anymore. How do most Midshipmen get by?

Look either way whether you stay in LE or go Military getting a bachelors should be a goal. With LE it will go leaps and bounds towards your marketability later on in your career (IE being more than just another patrol Sgt/watch commander) as well as your ability to pull up stakes and go somewhere else to something bigger and better should you decide to. With the Military its not an option if you want to be an officer. The main point I can make with this is your not getting any younger.

If you choose to go the service Academy route getting into the Academy will take time. I would recommend you take that time to bring you back up to strength academically. The nice thing about the academy is unlike regular college your not going to have to worry about what your gonna do for a living situation. The down side is... its the academy ;).

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As you said, school can get expensive, and I won't be brining in the big bucks anymore. How do most Midshipmen get by?

If you pick up a scholarship, your full tuition is covered, though not your room and board. Some individual universities will cover it for you (mine gives me partial) but some you have to cover it all on your own. Scholarship midshipmen also have a small monthly stipend, starting at $250 a month as a freshman and increasing $50 a year after that. You also get $375 a semester for books. Depending on where you go, you might have to get a part time job to cover some of your other expenses. You can also apply for federal or school financial aid.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, tranferring to a campus PD isn't really an option. Because I don't work for a civil service department, I can't lateral to a different agency, which would mean a huge loss of pay & seniority for me.

I didn't say it would be a one for one trade. You're qualified to do a job different from filing books in the library for $5.50 an hour is what I'm saying. And besides, it's not like you're losing 15 years of seniority or anything, sheesh.

...but seeing as how I haven't been in a classroom since 2005, I'd rather not jump right into that level of academics. I'm not even sure if I'd meet the minimum requirements anyway. I did very well on the SATs, but that was back in 2003 or 2004.

You shouldn't worry about this. You'll find a way to make it work. I graduated from high school in 2000, went into the Marine Corps where they gut your entire brain housing group and fill it back in with what it thinks is knowledge, and I came out and jumped into course work in Physics in 2005. Don't stress about your coursework because it's all pretty Barney-ass shit the first year. If you're into a natural science or engineering degree you might have to take calculus and chemistry. So what? You're smart enough. Trust me.

At this point, man, you're either causing your own helmet fire by overthinking things or you're just making excuses to stay in your little New Jersey comfort zone. How about apply to every program possible and see which doors open up. Your chances of getting commissioned are 0% if you don't try.