• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
Everyone I've talked to says paying into the GI Bill is a no-brainer, since you only pay a total of $1200. This way you can go back and get a Masters at some point in your career. However, I already have a Master's degree. Should I still pay into the GI Bill? At this point, I'm tired of school and can't fathom going after the PhD.
Anyone have any suggestions/experience with this?

Thanks.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I would...it's a monster deal. Currently the GI bill pays $985/month for a max of 36 months if you're a full time student. You never know where you'll end up down the road. Even though you have a master's, let's say you fulfill your obligation and decided to conquer corporate America. Well, you can use it to get an MBA. Basically, that first 12 months, paying a 100 bucks a month is no big deal. You won't feel it at all.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Pay the $1200 for the GI Bill - it is one of the best deals out there. You can use the money (roughly $36,000 return for a $1200 investment). You can use it for an MBA, for airline training (getting your 737 type for example), language training, etc. I just finished my first Master's degree with it and am starting a 2nd - and it covers all expenses with money left over.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'd be crazy not to put into the GIBill. I put in 1200 bucks 12 years ago. I used a little of it when I was at UF. I put $600 more into this last year for that added boost. And now I have something like $29,000 remaining. Show me where else I can find an investment like that. There are countless things you can use the GIBill for as a couple people have pointed out. It's not just academic school stuff...it's a whole lot more.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
If I pay into the GI Bill, can I get money for going to school part-time? If so, how much do you get?

Thanks for the responses.... very helpful.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
aeronerd said:
If I pay into the GI Bill, can I get money for going to school part-time? If so, how much do you get?

Thanks for the responses.... very helpful.

You can get money for going part-time, though I don't know how much it is.
As for repaying past loans, I don't think that's what it's for.

twidget

Deskaholic
When I went through Boot Camp I declined the GI Bill (what was I thinking :( ). I'm going to OCS next month and would like to pursue a Master's Degree down the road. Will I have the opportunity to enroll as an officer even though I turned it down as an enlisted?

Tough one, I know. Any advice would be appreciated.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
twidget, there are a variety of means to get a Masters degree while on active duty. Take a look at the Navy College website.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Half time school load will stay pay $500 per month, quarter time $250. You have to talk to the school people themselves (the financial aid section) and they will tell you how many classes qualify for what.

You will have the opportunity at OCS to sign up for the GI Bill - take advantage of it.

Agent00JP

Watch out there twidget, as I remember there was something about prior service officer candidates. It may have been that if you already used it you couldn't sign up again, but it may also be that if you declined it then you can't do it again? I'm not sure. When you get the PSD brief, talk to Walt (or whoever does it in his place), they know there stuff pretty good and if there is ANY way you can get the GI Bill, they will know. Plus the $1200, doesn't start coming out until you commission...

Status
Not open for further replies.