• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GI bill

Tjd448

I will be attending the upcoming 14Feb OCS class and I am going in to my recruiter's office to enlist later this week. One of the forms I was sent to read over now just to save time when I get there is the GI Bill disenrollment form. Having already graduated college, is there any benefit to getting enrolled in it? I didn't see another thread on this or a similar topic, though I may have missed it. I will be speaking to my recruiter and processor about it when I go in, but I'd just like to get others perspectives on the topic beforehand. Thanks!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I will be attending the upcoming 14Feb OCS class and I am going in to my recruiter's office to enlist later this week. One of the forms I was sent to read over now just to save time when I get there is the GI Bill disenrollment form. Having already graduated college, is there any benefit to getting enrolled in it? I didn't see another thread on this or a similar topic, though I may have missed it. I will be speaking to my recruiter and processor about it when I go in, but I'd just like to get others perspectives on the topic beforehand. Thanks!

Benefits: Law school, med school, business school, advanced pilot ratings, trade school, transfer benefits... Do not give up the GI bill.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
For what reason would someone opt out? I think I may have back in my "sure, sir, I'll sign whatever you need!" days.

Edit: Ah ha - so I filled out a form when I commissioned (2005) saying I was ineligible for the MGIB ('84 edition) because I was an ROTC or service academy grad. I think that still means I'm eligible for the post-9/11 GIB, which is better anyway.

PS: how is it easier for me to get on BOL/OMPF with Chrome on a Mac than it is some days w/ IE 11 on Windows 7?

Last edited:

boobcheese

Is the Montgomery GI Bill still an option? The MGIB used to require a buy in of $100/mo for 12 months but you could decline the contributions. I don't think the member has to contribute anything for the post 9/11 version. Not sure why there would even be an option to decline.

If you can still opt in, the MGIB would probably still be worth the money. Not transferable but IIRC it provides additional flexibility to cover vocational programs such as flight training and if you end using the post 9/11 you get the $1200 back.

Tjd448

It seems like the unanimous consensus is to not opt out. Whether or not I go back to school somewhere down the line, I'm unsure, but I guess it's better to have and not need than the other way around. Thank you all for your input.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you are going in as a pilot then sticking around for 10 years is a strong possibility. On the day you hit 6 years of service file the paperwork to transfer to your dependents, which requires an agreement to serve until 10 yrs. You can always move that around or back to yourself, even after separating, but can't add new beneficiaries after you separate.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
IIRC thats a Navy places restriction, not the VAs and Reserve (SELRES/IRR) time counts for that.