• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting your name painted on squadron aircraft

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
My last det we had 2 birds and 5 pilots. Not to screw the junior guy we didn't put names on the bird.
In HS-3 (RIP) we had pilots, aircrew and PC's on the birds. You had to be a HAC and have seniority. It screwed the NAVCAD since he was a rank junior to all the regular commissioning source folks.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
It's a bit easier for VFA types (from what I've seen in most squadrons). I had my name on a jet before I showed up. If there's space for a name, a name goes on.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'

I've flown a plane with my name on it plenty of times. Probably due to the fact that while in a COD detachment, there are only two planes :) I saw that my name is on a T-45C, number 267. I have yet to even see aircraft 267, not even sure if it exists but I've seen the official aircraft/name list.

HuggyU2

None
Let's see some pics

Attachments

• My Jet.jpg
    My Jet.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 92
  • My T-38.jpg
    My T-38.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 92

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
Our squadron only has one aircraft with a pilot's name on it and it is proceeded by LtCol. No one ever really flies their aircraft anyway. As far as the "good to go" thing or earning it or whatever, I think it all depends on the squadron you are in I think West coast HMLAs put names on the birds but east coast really don't, well except the CO. By the way immediately following the COs name being put on the bird it was dropped into phase and didn't come up for about a month post phase!

KBayDog

bigfish,

1. Yes, West Sieed HMLAs put phat names on their whips.
2. A month post phase? You need to get yourself some new FCPs.*

*I'll send you my resume via PM, if your organization is hiring. My company, like many of our competitors, is downsizing...er, "rightsizing", as well as outsourcing work to a newer, younger labor pool from Bell/Textron. I am about to be a victim of this downsizing/outsourcing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Our squadron only has one aircraft with a pilot's name on it and it is proceeded by LtCol. No one ever really flies their aircraft anyway. As far as the "good to go" thing or earning it or whatever, I think it all depends on the squadron you are in I think West coast HMLAs put names on the birds but east coast really don't, well except the CO. By the way immediately following the COs name being put on the bird it was dropped into phase and didn't come up for about a month post phase!

My East Coast HMMs and VMMs always put pilots' names on aircraft, along with crew chief and first mechs. While composite, at least, our skid, 53, and Harrier dets did as well.

HuggyU2

None
Out of curiosity, are the USAF's policies for painting names on the side of aircraft the same as the Navy's?
USAF squadrons pretty much decide whose name goes on the jets. In our squadron, a list was made, the commander signed it, it was sent to maintenance, and the names were put on. Simple (unlike most things in the AF).