• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting through MEPS vs using your own doctor for Physical

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Can anyone tell me their situation if they got the final select letter with a condition? My understanding is that there are three types of final select letters: Select, Select pending some sort of medical test (or something), or non-select (because of reason X). Is this correct?

I'm wondering what the process is for the second option...select letter with the condition. How long did things take? What did people go through?

Thanks.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
I know it won't be an issue, so I'm not worried. It's just the problem of having that on my Air Force discharge paperwork. It will be worked out. Just waiting to hear from the recruiter on what the Navy actually wants.

knobbzy

I know it won't be an issue, so I'm not worried. It's just the problem of having that on my Air Force discharge paperwork. It will be worked out. Just waiting to hear from the recruiter on what the Navy actually wants.

Gotchya. Good luck with everything and as always keep us posted as to your developments.

Don't be afraid to use your private doc via your health ins for stuff.

It looks like Jason is going to be an O2 before any of us hit indoc.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Yeah I talked to my recruiter and he said that I did pass the board and I'm that I'm 95% through the process. I should be drilling by June but that it isn't for sure yet until SECDEF makes it official.

For some reason I though it was more like a month and that I didn't start drilling right away or something

So 2-4 months it is then..

Thanks Everyone!

iroessle

I hope it's that fast for you! I'm still in the same place I was 2.5 weeks ago, when my recruiter told me that the Navy wanted my old air force physical...unfortunately nothing has changed. : (

Hopefully everything will be worked out soon.

I hope all is well with everyone else.

ladysailor

Getting through MEPS

Hey... Haven't stopped by in awhile. I'm working on collecting medical documents for MEPS and working with my recruiter to reach our goal of getting my butt commissioned by the end of the fiscal year. Fingers crossed! My birthday is about the same time and being commissioned would be just about the best birthday present ever.

Anyone have any good gouges on MEPS?

I'm surrounded by military in my neck of the woods and all I hear all day is when am I going to be officially signed up. :)

Thanks as always for all the great advice, perspective, and sharing of experiences. Now could someone just tell my boyfriend I won't be deployed 10 minutes after comissioning and deployment is not nearly as dangerous as he and my mother think?

I know there have been some comments re: willingness to deploy. I was asked this quesiton in all my interviews. I honestly told them I fully expect to and look forward to the experiences and opportunities that brings. I trust the Navy and the military at large to keep me safe. (I guess I trust myself as well!) It's the military, people, not a country club. (Insert required AF joke here.)

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
Hey... Haven't stopped by in awhile. I'm working on collecting medical documents for MEPS and working with my recruiter to reach our goal of getting my butt commissioned by the end of the fiscal year. Fingers crossed! My birthday is about the same time and being commissioned would be just about the best birthday present ever.

Anyone have any good gouges on MEPS?

I'm surrounded by military in my neck of the woods and all I hear all day is when am I going to be officially signed up. :)

Thanks as always for all the great advice, perspective, and sharing of experiences. Now could someone just tell my boyfriend I won't be deployed 10 minutes after comissioning and deployment is not nearly as dangerous as he and my mother think?

I know there have been some comments re: willingness to deploy. I was asked this quesiton in all my interviews. I honestly told them I fully expect to and look forward to the experiences and opportunities that brings. I trust the Navy and the military at large to keep me safe. (I guess I trust myself as well!) It's the military, people, not a country club. (Insert required AF joke here.)

MEPS:

• As an officer candidate, you will probably get a hotel room to yourself (I did and so do other OC's). If not, you will be put with someone who is an OC too.
  • When at the hotel, it might be best just to stay in your room. Some of the kids there (okay, not kids but some are 17 and 18 and have never been in a hotel without adult supervision before) get too loud/too obnoxious and you don't want to be part of that group.
  • DO NOT leave your hotel room once the curfew started until you are told to (we had a "wakeup call" and we had to be out in 10 minutes after that). Not even if you are up early and want to be ready early.
  • As a female, your wait will probably be shorter (they take females together into the "back room" and males together). My MEPS had a female doctor and she did the females first and then went to help do the rest of the males with the other doctors.
  • Show up in something other than jeans. It will make a good impression (I got a lot of "you must be going to be a nurse or an officer" and got a bit more respect before they even knew what I was doing... I was in a nice shirt and black pants). Most people show up in jeans, sweats, or sweat-shorts (yes, some with "Juicy" written across their rear). Good impressions = the doctor seems to want you to pass rather than find ways to get the person they find annoying out.
  • Keep your mouth shut unless they ask you a question. "Ending with Ma'am or Sir" are great ways to answer questions.
  • Make sure you drink water before you go so you can do the urine test, but don't drink TOO much... mine was about 3 hours after I got there so I really had to go.
  • Do what they tell you when they tell you. And if you are doing the underwear Olympics and you are told you aren't doing something correctly, change it and never tell the doc that you ARE doing it correctly.
  • Tell the truth. Seriously.

ladysailor

Thanks, SavvyPR -- that's a lot of help. Hadn't realized there was an overnight hotel stay in there. I'm local enough to several of the large Navy medical facilities, I'm not sure that will be necessary. Sounds like a looooooong day.

The paperwork has been thrilling. Try collecting paperwork on an arm you broke eight years ago while skiing! The resort medical center has no idea what is up. But we're trying to anticipate as many issues as possible. I'm not **too** concerned about a medical disqual, but it would be heartbreaking after making it this far.

Sir/Ma'am -- Well, I work for the military and I'm more than used to that. I'll be sure to dress nicely and treat them with respect. How worrisome it is that this needs to be said...

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
A little off topic...

But, many of you know my trials and tribulations with the recruitment process. After my selection in October of last year, it took quite a while to get all of the paperwork together (medical, etc). Well, once CNRC got all of the medical paperwork, they denied me based on a past condition.

In response, I wrote a letter and put some other documents together and sent it to CNRC. Today, I received another letter:

This one approving a waiver for my past condition (even though it's now non-existent). Bottom line: After 20 months in the recruiting process, it appears that I'm in. I'm expecting the final select letter within 10 days and the commdocs by the end of July.

Finally....see you all at DCOIC. :D

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
A little off topic...

But, many of you know my trials and tribulations with the recruitment process. After my selection in October of last year, it took quite a while to get all of the paperwork together (medical, etc). Well, once CNRC got all of the medical paperwork, they denied me based on a past condition.

In response, I wrote a letter and put some other documents together and sent it to CNRC. Today, I received another letter:

This one approving a waiver for my past condition (even though it's now non-existent). Bottom line: After 20 months in the recruiting process, it appears that I'm in. I'm expecting the final select letter within 10 days and the commdocs by the end of July.

Congrats and BZ for toughing it out ;)

ladysailor

Appreciate hearing that, bucki4lyfe! I've been active -- on and off -- in the recruiting process since January of 2008. Granted, I myself stalled out based on life events until really pushing my packet in January of this year. I'd done a lot of the work the previous spring, but was on the Feb. 2009 board -- the one that took an age and a half to process! Professional commitments/moving/etc has delayed my ability to get through MEPS, but I'm working hard on it now. I'm hoping for the 18 to 20 month time frame for my own schedule, from first conversation to commission. Thankfully my recruiter has been amazing. Can't say enough good things about the guy and am proud to (hopefully!) be the last Sailor he sees commissioned prior to his retirement.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
A little off topic...

Congrats! Welcome aboard!

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Thanks everyone. I'm sure we'll all run into each other at some point.

Ladysailor...send me a private message if you have any specific questions about the process and how things have gone for me.

SavvyPR

LCDR, Navy Reserve PAO
I can't help you with the medical but you will have to put it down as to at least what hospital you were treated at.

As for the NOSC, it's the reserve center and stands for Navy Operational Support Center.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
lait1 said:
Hello everyone.

This thread is full of some great information (from what I have read so far). I have been working with my recruiter since Febuary to submit my package for Supply DCO. I found out last week from my recruiter that I have been selected.

From the emails I have started receiving, I would be receiving my commission in November (sometime). Until then, I just found out I have to go through the "scrolls process" and get my security check and medical stuff completed. I am currently 31 years old. When I was a teenager, I broke my hand (hair line crack) and was also in the hospital for my appendix. Both of these incidents took place in 2 different cities and within 2 years apart. (Note: I am also prior enlisted and had documented these incidents originally when I served from 1996 - 2000). My question is this, am I going to need to find out what "hospitals/doctors offices" I was treated at?

Also, I have a very stupid question. What does NOSC stand for? I realize I am attempting to come off of a 9 year sabatical with the Navy, however I am not familar with this term.

I had a broken clavicle and a broken finger and I put those on my forms but was NOT asked where/how I was treated. They just want to know what happened, what the circumstances were, and if it's fully healed/functioning/etc. I wouldn't worry about finding the details.

smloan2

MEPS vs using your own doctor for Physical

Just found out I was selected. Has anyone scheduled their physical, etc.? How far out or how soon are physicals being scheduled, and after the physical what comes next?

My recruiter told me I was selected on Monday and then he scheduled me for a physical this Friday. After my physical, I go back to my recruiter's office and sign the signature pages for the security background and get fingerprinted. After that is completed, from what I have read here, I wait some more :)