• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting started to become a pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiyanCivic

I know there is another post, enlisted to aviator path, but it does not discuss about how to start. I am a Philadelphia-born 19-year-old SKSR in San Diego with EOD Mobile Unit Seven. I have been at this command for about two weeks now and have had a childhood ambition for some time to be a pilot. I bent over backwards to try and be helpful at this command, like cleaning the bathroom when no one else will and all kind of jobs others are to lazy to do. I don’t care if I have to stay late; I do it with a smile on my face. I also have been out with the EOD volunteering to help out with opps, but however my Chief wont really let me go sometimes because I don’t really know my rate. I fully understand where he is coming from. The thing is I want to learn. I am very ambitious and will get what I want. I don’t care how hard it will be, I will do it. I asked my chief if I can go TAD to get qualified to get my SW, he agreed. I also want to get other things such as PJ, AW, CM & SOW. I will get these pins but my chief said he will not let me get some of these pins because he is afraid he will lose me. I am going to take my SAT’s soon after I take a SAT prep class. Then directly after that I want to take my ASTB with all the SAT knowledge still fresh. I hope to be picked up by STA-21 but I don’t know if that would happen, but I don’t care. I will start on a package online through their website after I get settled in my new surroundings; a full year to prepare a STA-21 package they will no believe. I also want to go to college to get a bachelors degree in a triple major somewhere but don’t know where. Ok, my questions are, does anyone know an officer recruiter that is patient enough to work with an enlisted sailor in efforts to get him into OCS as a pilot? Does anyone know a notable school I can go to locally to get a triple major in business management, web design and auto mechanics? Would these courses be a good base for a sailor having his sights on going pilot? I am also going for a PRK screening this tuesday, you think that could hurt my chances since my vision is 20/100? Sorry if I sound a bit overzealous, but I had the same motivation now as when I started my own business my senior year in high school. I currently still file all my taxes and licenses to this date. You can see it at www.Ventasm.com, sorry it is not up to par due to the fact I am still settling in my new environment. Please respond with any comments and/or advice you can give, it will mean a lot to me.

NavyLonghorn

It has been my experince that you generally do a double major within the same college. For instance, one might major in MIS and Finance, which would both be under the school of buisness, or, like myslef, political science and philosopy, both being under the college of liberal arts.

Is web desighn a major? I think it is a certification. I can not imagine their are enough web design courses to make up an actual major.

Is auto mechanics a major? Maybe mechanical engineering, but I think generaly auto mechanics is tought at a trade school of some sort.

Regardless of these questions, trying to complete three majors at the same time in unrelated fields would be a freaking nightmare and would take wayyyyy to long. It would be fun to learn all that stuff, but completely un-necessary to do so if you want to be a pilot. My advice, is to pick one major, or a double major within the same college, and just kick some serious ass grade wise. From what I have seen around here, its grades that matter, not what classes those grades were recieved in.

I can't answer the other questions you have except to say that talking to a OCS recruiter before you have even started college would be completely unproductive, he would tell you about being a pilot, and then tell you to go to school for a while and come back.

Aren't their programs to send enlisted folx to college? I would look into that. Or look into using the GI bill after you fulfil your commitement.

Either way, once you get to school, kick some butt and you will fly airplanes.

Also, I recieved PRK, and I got my pilot designator just like the guys born with 20/20, so, that shouldn't be an issue.

SaiyanCivic

Hey, thanks for the advice you gave me. I did not really look into school all that well and in the planning stages. I just want some courses that I can apply to my e-business, but I don’t really know what...
banghead_125.gif
. I was thinking of some online courses or something along that path. My question is when is a good time to take my ASTB? I guess it would be after I get my degree. But keep the responses coming because I am sure there are people in the same situation as I am.

Borncreole

If you want you should apply to other commisioning programs WHILE you are going to school. Pick one degrre, who cares about a double major, all you need is one to picked up. It's nice, but innecessary. Set your goal (want to be a pilot). Now set all the smaller goals you have to achieve to get there (degree). Then start one each one...go to navy college, take some courses ext..... Good luck

SaiyanCivic

i will be sttending some online courses at University of Phoenix majoring in E-business. I dont know if this is a good step for me or what. I have meard that they just give away degrees to any bimbo,
boring_125.gif
. Can anyone tell me if this is what i should do? Does anyone have other suggestions?

Undertow

knock out some of your pre-recs for school first like algebra, physics, and whatever else they offer there at the Navy College office. The next thing you need to do is go the the sta-21 site www.sta-21.navy.mil and read all the requirements. Your vision is going to hurt you unless you can get lazic done, even then I'm not sure what the rules are for application. I'd recommend going to Balboa and getting an appt. for a SNA Candidate Flight Physical to make sure that you are physically qualified. In the mean time you have the right idea about busting your ass in your command. Get all your quals done, get your EAWS knocked out if you can and talk to other people in your command to see if anyone else has applied for the program. Your CCC should be able to point you in the right direction. A buddy of mine who's with SeaOpDet down at North Island AIMD is also going to apply for the program. I've been walking him through everything via phone since I just got finished applying for this past cycle. Either way, STAY MOTIVATED!

Status
Not open for further replies.