• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting rid of Annapolis & West Point?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The myth of the "Boat School Good Ol' Boys Network" is a persistent but unfounded rumor. It just doesn't exist. It ain't Skull and Bones. I wish I did have a secret network of information and influence to tap into, but it either doesn't exist or they forgot to send me the password. The only thing being a Boat Schooler has ever got me is persistent letters from the Alumni Association asking for money.

That being said, I think there may be a general sentiment that out there that makes you much more desireable to the civilian workforce as an Academy grad than you are just as an officer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That being said, I think there may be a general sentiment that out there that makes you much more desireable to the civilian workforce as an Academy grad than you are just as an officer.

Eh, maybe. Not really any more than anyone else who went to a decent school and then became an officer. I knock the Fort Severn Juvie Hall as much as anyone, but I won't deny that I got a very good education there.

I'm just hoping that their sterling academic reputation gives me a handicap with civilian employers for my absolutely shitty GPA.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Getting rid of Annapolis ..

Awww shucks, now you got me all excited with that thread title. I though you were proposing to eliminate Annapolis, where our state house is located, with all those clowns, the piggies at the public trough that call themselves legislators. Thought, "Well now, we are getting somewhere".

But as far as USNA, hey lots of proposals, anywhere from disbanding the military to who knows what we are going to see proposed next. Understand there is a proposal to have a civilian force, as large, with as much power as the "military" and as well funded as the "military". Be happy, don't worry!:eek:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just thought the article amusing in that he proposes that the great civilian leaders of America should be studying with military leaders. As Flash and others have pointed out that doesn't work because history has already shown the proclivity of schools to kick off ROTC programs when they become politically unfashionable. Additionally, what's to say the elite universities that currently train our diplomats and business leaders that don't have ROTC programs want them now? I don't see colleges beating down doors as a general proposition to get ROTC units added to their campuses.

There is also the question of logistics. We have 5 perfectly good federal schools with the facilities to train future officers. A lot of schools lack the space or resources to accommodate a new ROTC unit, especially those in urban areas. My senior year I was in an institutional history seminar and I ended up writing a paper on the history of my NROTC unit. I don't know if this requirement is still there, but to take as an example, when my unit was founded in the documents from the Navy the school was required to provide a certain square foot outdoor area for drill. Many urban campuses can't provide that. Additionally, when colleges are planning on adding new facilities to their campuses, even if they wanted a new ROTC unit, do you think that would be a high priority for funding? Somehow I doubt it when they could be adding nicer dorms to attract students, upgrading the school's hospital, making new research facilities to attract grants, etc.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The myth of the "Boat School Good Ol' Boys Network" is a persistent but unfounded rumor. It just doesn't exist. It ain't Skull and Bones. I wish I did have a secret network of information and influence to tap into, but it either doesn't exist or they forgot to send me the password. The only thing being a Boat Schooler has ever got me is persistent letters from the Alumni Association asking for money.

LOL. I don't subscribe to that either, but sure is hard to find many CNOs that didn't go to USNA, but Academy grads don't really have approval on that billet either. School must be doing something right as most admirals wear the ring.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
A civilian force... something like ....

Not sure what Prez Obama has in mind, has not yet fleshed it out, to my knowledge has just announced that we would have a civiliam force as well funded and as powerful as the military. Who know?. Maybe something like the GRU?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're talking about the civilian service programs, with accompanying "academy" that have been proposed (for several years, actually), they'll hardly be as large as the military, nor as well funded.

While I don't think they have much merit, unless married with a Starship Troopers -esque "Service guarantees citizenship" policy, I don't think the paranoia is justified. There are enough bad policies to criticize without linking the conservative opposition with the tinfoil-hat crowd.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Still a pretty vague statement. I'd like our police, ICE, FBI, et al to be as well-funded (which doesn't mean equally funded, btw) as the military. For all I know, that's what the president was getting at with that statement. Until I see the storm trooper clones being manufactured, I'll reserve my paranoia allowance for the ballooning national debt and unfunded obligations of the federal government.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe something like the GRU?
If you weren't casting aspersions on the idea, then I apologize.

Raising the specter of the GRU (which was actually Soviet military intelligence) seemed to me that you were already worried about some sort of secret police organization.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
If you weren't casting aspersions on the idea, then I apologize.

Raising the specter of the GRU (which was actually Soviet military intelligence) seemed to me that you were already worried about some sort of secret police organization.

I do know well what the GRU was, and what it was not. My only "castings" were that I did not know, and do not know what a "civilian national security force" in the context of our form of Goverment or what it would be or what it would not be.

I do worry about little. So little time, so much to do. But as citizens we should know. Our democracy will survive only if it's citizens are involved, IMHO.