• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting Married during NFO training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elroy

Hey Ya'll
I am an Air Force 2Lt and will be attending NASP for WSO training....not sure on my dates yet, but sometime this fall. I just got engaged and am looking to get married next Fall (06).
My question is if it would be possible (best guesses here) to take like a Friday off or a Monday off and fly home for the wedding?
Thanks for the help guys.
ElRoy

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm in primary at Corpus, and there's a guy in my class getting married next month and they're giving him and some buddies time off for it. If you let them know soon enough yeah you can get time off, especially for a wedding.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ughh! Why get married so young! You will only regret it later. At least get a pre-nup, or you'll be sorry.

Brett

Reactions: E5B

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, you will probably catch a lot of grief for it but they will let you take leave. You won't get a week or anything but you would probably get the Friday before off. My suggestion would be to have the wedding either before you class up in API...(That will be a while from when you check in, or in-between API and Primary. You will have some time off. So...what does that mean? Once you get your orders, I would set a date. Then, once you check in and take care of the check-in crap, you can drop your leave chit and go and get hitched. Good Luck.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Brett327 said:
Ughh! Why get married so young! You will only regret it later. At least get a pre-nup, or you'll be sorry.

Brett
You sound like my freaking fiance Pre-nup, pre-nup , pre-nup...Your just setting yourself up for a ruined relationship with one of those. The point of getting married is not to get divorced.

Of course what he doesn't understand is I won't get divorced. I've got a Glock... :D

bennett4362

deployment sucks
Brett327 said:

ouch. sounds like you went through a painful experience!

Brett327 said:
At least get a pre-nup, or you'll be sorry.

but if you're so young, you probably have nothing to pre-nup :)

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:

Brett

Ladies and Gentlemen...THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE....

Kolja

Git-r-done
1. NFO/WSO training is a bad time to BE married, let alone GET married.

2. I wouldn't be so sure about the time off - maybe they're cooler now than they were when i was there (98/99) but they weren't too supportive at all.... people were resorting to skipping town Friday night, with or without leave, to go get married or to be groomsmen etc... never a recipe for success.

3. A pre-nup does not neccesarily ruin a relationship anymore than NOT having one ensures a relationship will last. It's CERTAINLY no more detrimental than the whole concept of "no-fault" divorces. I'm sure most of the 50%+ of newlyweds who wind up divorced at one time had the same idea as HOORAH, that the whole point of getting married is to not get divorced... I seem to remember hearing something very similar to that myself once upon a time, only to come home 2/3 of the way through flight school to hear "I don't want to be married anymore." Bottom line, sh*t happens. Protect yourself... (though as a practical matter, bennett has a point - as a 2LT what could you possibly have to prenup?)

My $.02 is to wait after winging and give serious thought to the prenup. Good luck either way though!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys guys guys, it's been said on here before and I'll say it again. Do at least ONE deployment while still single.

elroy, you've made your decision, and this wasn't aimed at you, good luck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen...THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE....
Thanks, good buddy.

I've heard all the arguments:

1. A prenup protects what you're going to have in the future, not what little you think you may have now. Do you think so little of yourself that you're planning on still making $40K in 10 or 20 years? What about retirement benefits? What about the b!tchin' 69 Camaro that you resored, or that gun collection handed down by your grandfather, or the house that you are going to pay for, or your dirtbike. She'll want all of those.

2. It's easy to be optimistic when you're young and in love, but the odds are against you - especially in the military. A racecar driver isn't more likely to be in a crash because he wears a helmet, but it will protect him when he does. If your spouse to be objects to a prenup, then you're probably getting married for the wrong reasons.

Lastly, despite what you may be thinking, no, my point of view is not the result of a bad experience. I am happilly unmarried - by design. The experience I try to pass on to you is after having seen countless men get shafted over and over by the vaginized legal system in this country. Buyer beware, that's all.

Good times,

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Brett327 said:

Brett
Pourin' water on the guy and he's not even there yet... hate, hate, hate! :D

Of course what he doesn't understand is I won't get divorced. I've got a Glock...

You and my wife would get along famously...she shoots a compound bow, so there's not even the advantage of the sound of a slide chambering a round (and she's a good shot too). For those that would argue that it's more unwieldy than a pistol, she's patient and willing to pick the time/place. :D

Swmtb

Sneakin'
One v----- for the rest of your life...

(oh, and how sensitive are people on this board? ref: above)

elroy

Hey guys/gals
thanks for the replies. I will have to see what happens when I get there but I don't think rushing it will help a whole lot either. In reality we are probably going to get a legal marriage done and then down the road (hopefully in advanced) I can take that Friday off and get'r done.
My main concern would be that I wouldn't be able to have a guarenteed weekend after getting winged for a couple of years (survival, IFF, and my FTU for the -15E). We will see...
Oh yeah, and no pre-nup, she thought I was joking when I asked.
ElRoy

Status
Not open for further replies.