• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting into OCS for flight or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padma

I am graduating here in a month and am looking at the army and the Marines. I'm having trouble in other more selective programs because my GPA is 2.8. The physical tests would be my best attribute, where the gpa would probably be my worst. The army seems ready to push anyone through, how about the marines? Especially, for aviation.

Thank you.

KBayDog

Padma said:
The army seems ready to push anyone through, how about the marines? Especially, for aviation.

You're right - the Marines are...ESPECIALLY for aviation! :D

If you are debating the Army vs. the Men, the first thing I woud do is look at the different missions of the air components of each service. In the Corps, everything revolves around the rifleman - if you aren't a grunt, you exist to support a grunt. You will find that the Army's outlook on aviation is a whole lot different.

Free advice: Talk with an OSO, talk with an Army bubba. Find out what you think you would like to pursue, then make like Nike. Just do it.

If you have any questions about Marine air, fire away. There are enough folks in the community, from wannabees to card-carrying airdales, with most of us falling somewhere in between that will help you out.*

*Note: Do yourself a favor, and search the site a bit to see if you question has been answered before.

Padma

That is what I'm struggling with, trying to find the main differences in the type of service that each branch performs. The think I like about Marine aviation is that they aren't restricted to helo's, but at the same time I'm not sure how hard it would be to get into Marine Aviation vs. Army WOCS. What are the typical duties of a marine pilot, say in a situation like the ME?

KBayDog

I'll pass you off to one of the folks who has been there/done that. I can help you with everything up to AND INCLUDING the first week *gasp* of API.

Now please pardon me while I go dust the 'salt' off :D

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typical duty for a Marine Aviator is fairly varied in a squadron you might start out working in Ops writing flight schedules (you learn a lot about how a squadron and aviation in general runs) then maybe down to take over a maintenance shop leading between 30 and 80 Marines (most rewarding job you will have) nad maybe end up working in Tactics concentrating on traingint he new guys. All this is in addition to your flying that just about covers your first tour then there are infinte possibilites for what you can do after that.
The Army has two real tracks the WOs who all they do is fly they have all the experience but never lead the big flgihts or the commisoined offciers who fly very little but are leading the flights based on rank. The Marine Coprs does more flgiht leadership based on experience, its not perfect but its not ad either. I as a Captain have had Majors as dash 2 often.
I would tell you to find the hardest one and go for it and for me that was the Marines but that is the type of individual we are looking for if really challenging is not your thing try the Army
Either way it is all honorable service and good luck

Padma

Thanks for the reply. I am a competitor and a perfectionist, therefore I always want the best and will not settle for less. I am struggling to find info regarding the Marines, but hey I guess that's why I am here.

As for the army, I've been told I would be 100% qual. for OCS, but WOCS is much tougher. If I did the WOCS route, I'd go WOCS for aviation and then to OCS for aviation leadership.
Problem there is the army only has helos and the marines have much more. I just don't know if it is easier (not physically, but getting accepted) to get into the Marines or Army as I don't have a lot of time to wait or hope and pray. I want to lead men, but I also want the best training I am able to get.

I just don't know a lot of the difference between the choice to go Army or Marines.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Padma said:
I just don't know a lot of the difference between the choice to go Army or Marines.

well... you can be the best or the 'also ran'
your choice

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Padma said:
Problem there is the army only has helos and the marines have much more. I just don't know a lot of the difference between the choice to go Army or Marines.

Go ahead and say it....."What are my chances of flying F/A-18's"

You're asking Marines whether or not you should join our Gun Club or the army? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what some of the answers are going to be. However, if you go to an army aviation web site and ask them what they think of Marine Aviators I'm sure you'll get the same bias opinion.

The Few, The Proud vs Army of One ....shouldn't be a hard decision

Seriously though, make the decision that is Right For YOU!! What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? What would make YOU happy, not someone else...

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Padma

Of course I'd love to fly jets, but my main concern is even getting accepted into OCS. You are right, I get the same bias everywhere I go, but I'll try to sort through it :)

I have a family, so I'd like some stability, but I don't mind deployment either. The pay is the same, so its a matter of career I guess and the Marine website isn't so filled with info.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Padma said:
Thanks for the reply. I am a competitor and a perfectionist, therefore I always want the best and will not settle for less. I am struggling to find info regarding the Marines, but hey I guess that's why I am here.

As for the army, I've been told I would be 100% qual. for OCS, but WOCS is much tougher. If I did the WOCS route, I'd go WOCS for aviation and then to OCS for aviation leadership.
Problem there is the army only has helos and the marines have much more. I just don't know if it is easier (not physically, but getting accepted) to get into the Marines or Army as I don't have a lot of time to wait or hope and pray. I want to lead men, but I also want the best training I am able to get.

Well then go Marines because anything less will seem like less. Seriouly when in college I was able to see the difference and I never looked back if you have to go to War, go with guys who the thought of losing never entered their minds and you will come home one way or another

KBayDog

Padma said:
Of course I'd love to fly jets, but my main concern is even getting accepted into OCS. You are right, I get the same bias everywhere I go, but I'll try to sort through it :)

I have a family, so I'd like some stability, but I don't mind deployment either. The pay is the same, so its a matter of career I guess and the Marine website isn't so filled with info.

As I am sure you are well aware, the Corps will not guarantee you any aircraft. Whatever the Corps needs you to fly, you will fly.

The Marine website isn't filled with info for one reason: All the Marine Corps guarantees you is a chance to become a Marine. Whether you are officer or enlisted, you are only given the opportunity to earn the Title. (Believe me, that in and of itself is worth it...)

Remember how I said that the Rifleman is the reason every other Marine exists? Well, we have two sayings: 1. Every Marine a Rifleman, and 2. Every Marine Officer a Rifle Platoon Commander.

I won't get into what all that means; just remember that you are a Marine (i.e., "rifleman") first, and a _________ second.

Padma

Right, which is exactly why I am hesitant to join the marines. I don't need to be guaranteed an aircraft, I just want to know with a degree of certainty that I will be accepted into the air division. I wouldn't mind special ops either, but I don't know much about the Marine career ladders and such. Does anyone have any info regarding that and how your choices work?

My main point is that while I want the best training possible, I also don't want to be stuck in a career that I am disappointed with.

Matt S

None
If you want certainty you are probably looking in the wrong career field. There's to many variables that could effect flying for the military long before you ever get the chance. Your best bet would be to get an air contract with the Marines then complete OCS and TBS. Assuming those go well you have your shot at being an aviator.

As far as Army and Marines; if you think of one as more prestiges than the other then go with it so that you don't have regrets later on.
Good luck to you.

KBayDog

Padma said:
Right, which is exactly why I am hesitant to join the marines. I don't need to be guaranteed an aircraft, I just want to know with a degree of certainty that I will be accepted into the air division. I wouldn't mind special ops either, but I don't know much about the Marine career ladders and such. Does anyone have any info regarding that and how your choices work?

My main point is that while I want the best training possible, I also don't want to be stuck in a career that I am disappointed with.

If you are afraid of being stuck in a career that you will be disappointed with, you should probably look elsewhere. Am I saying that you will be disappointed with the Corps? No. I am saying that you will set yourself up for failure. The Corps is not the place for "careerists." It is a place to lead Marines.

(Free advice: Lose the "I want, I want, I want" mentality if you are considering the Marine Corps.)

As far as aviation guarantees, there is really no such thing. Sure, you can be "guaranteed" an air contract.

Then you go to OCS.

If you attrite from OCS, all bets are off. If you complete OCS, you go to TBS.

If you get injured (i.e., eyeball gouge from a sadistic tree branch during night land nav, busted knee during the endurance course, etc.) you can still be retained in the Corps - but you can pretty much bet the farm that you will lose your air "guarantee" and compete for ground MOS's.

Then comes flight school, which has its fair share of attrites.

The bottom line is this: The Marine Corps will not have you raise your right hand, sign the dotted line, and put you in an F/A-18.

All the Marine Corps will guarantee you is the opportunity to earn the Title. Nothing more.

I hate to come across as an a$$, especially since you are sincere in your desire to honorably serve your country, but I just do not want you to be set up for failure.

Padma

Thanks again for the reply. Part of my problem is ignorance in the fact that I don't know the right questions to ask, so it's coming off a bit different than I had intended. Earning the title of a Marine is great, but there is so much about the Marines that is unclear that I just may go a different direction. As I am sure you know, making any committment to join the armed forces is a HUGE one and if you can't bank on anything at all besides the title, then I don't see how it could be anything more than a risk rather than an exchange. The way it sounds, the marines are like "a box of chocolates."

:icon_smil

Just a slight edit, I'm not looking for a guarantee, just a chance to prove myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.