• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Get your Top Gun on - too funny.. or sad

slug

Keep it real, everybody. Anyone on this site who denies having watched this movie more times than any other movie is:
1) a liar
2) under 21
3) over 50, a SWO, and a liar

Yeah, I'll say it: Most influential military movie ever. Anyone who wants to disagree can argue with an entire generation of pilots, or talk to any Navy recruiter from 1986 to today. I'll admit it, I watch it every time it's on TNT or AMC. Sometimes TOPGUN is it's own best parody and I laugh at every line, other times I remember being 9, watching it for the first time and wanting to fly from that point on.

maverick holding goose.jpg

OMG, Goose didn't die and this pic proves it!

...the ejection just blew off all his hair and killed his movie career.

BUDU

Keep it real, everybody. Anyone on this site who denies having watched this movie more times than any other movie is:
1) a liar
2) under 21
3) over 50, a SWO, and a liar

Plead guity to number 2...I've seen Top Gun one time, and not until last summer.

Call sign is Wookie. WTF? I am neither big nor hairy. And I can't do the noise.

hawkeyeHandler

Sergio Kontek
pilot
Now don't get me wrong, if it wasn't for TOP GUN (yes, I saw it in the theaters when it came out) I wouldn't have spent the better part of my childhood wanting to be a naval aviator. Great movie for its time and hard to outgrow for those who grew up with it.
Just don't like the idea of average joe putting on wings and calling themselves "LT" when the rest of us had to earn it. Chalk it up to blissful ignorace.

stickygdm

pilot
"Nutzoid" I like it! I decree that all Golden Eagle FORM callsigns the week of this great celebratory week shall be generated on this website! I think this page should be linked right in e-brief!

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
How appropriate, I just saw this and realized that this was the same day I selected and got tailhook. Not gonna lie I went through two copies of this movie on vhs cause I watched it so many times as a kid that I wore out the tape.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
I was in the Reserves at VF-301 when they were making the movie. One of the NFOs in the squadron worked at Topgun in a civilian capacity and had access to VHS tapes of the "rushes." (quick edits of the filmed daily shots of the movie as it was in process). One drill weekend we gathered around a TV set/VHS in a small briefing room on the second deck of Hangar 5 at Miramar. One of the scenes on the VHS was the "I feel the need for speed" high-five as they were walking on the line for man-up.
One of the senior ROs called out from the back of the group: "Hey Skipper... Do we talk like that???"
To which the smiling answer was: "We could start."

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Just don't like the idea of average joe putting on wings and calling themselves "LT" when the rest of us had to earn it. Chalk it up to blissful ignorace.

I fear the film industry would be awfully boring if every actor had to "earn" the right to portray the character he/she was acting as. It's not as if they're walking around day-to-day as if they're the individuals they portray.