• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

General Questions About Being an NFO

Devil07

I have a question. I just completed the juniors session of the PLC program for Marine Corps Officers Candidates. I am currently a Lance Corporal in the Marine Corps Reserve while i attend school. I am under an NFO contract and I have yet to get a straight answer as to what being an NFO actually envolves. Through my own research i have devolped a general idea but I am tring to find someone that is an NFO that could maybe talk with me about it and answer some more specific questions i have about being an NFO.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
As a Marine NFO, you will be either a Prowler ECMO working multitudes of electronic attack warfare (others can give much more info on that part) or you can be an F-18D WSO in the more traditional strike/fighter role. You will have plenty to time to ask questions before you select between the two in flight school.

DevilDog9782

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any specific questions. Althought I'm not a fleet aviator like many of the others that post on here, I can definately let you know what training is like and what is expected during flight school and the types of things you will be learning. BTW, I was definately in the same boat a few years ago, and found it hard to get straight answers to what an NFO actually does until actually coming to Pcola and talking to them - there aren't a huge number of them in the Marine Corps.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Stupid Question: Do Marine NFOs do the Nav thing on Marine C-130s?

Renegade One

None
In some other thread, one of our on-line bubbas named e6bflyer pretty much said it best: "You (will be) a walking, talking, living, breathing fucking god among men and others (will) know it and fear you." -e6bflyer

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
just out of curiosity has anyone wanted to go sna but decide to go snfo instead to avoid having to get prk?

Not me personally but a friend of mine did not want to get the surgery and he was content with being an NFO. It's not that uncommon.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto. I'd like the surgery at some point (mainly since I'm sick of not being able to see for crap) but even if I had the eyesight, I still think I would have chosen NFO.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
just out of curiosity has anyone wanted to go sna but decide to go snfo instead to avoid having to get prk?

I know two Marines awaiting API and they are getting their eyes cut before starting the NFO pipeline.

-ea6bflyr ;)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I got my eyes cut. However, I got mine cut in hopes of selecting SNA. But, if I could go back and do service selection over again, I'd get my eyes cut and ask for NFO first. I have no desire to be a pilot anymore.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got my eyes cut. However, I got mine cut in hopes of selecting SNA. But, if I could go back and do service selection over again, I'd get my eyes cut and ask for NFO first. I have no desire to be a pilot anymore.

I see you have sipped from the Prowler ECMO kool-aid! :D

-ea6bflyr ;)