• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gen. Stanley McChrystal: on the job market soon ... ???

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So who is going to run CENTCOM if General Patraeus is running the war in Afghanistan?

exhelodrvr

pilot
Looks like the deed is done. I understand why, but still not sure if its the best decision.

It could end up reasonably well, if Petraeus gets personally involved (at least for awhile), Eikenberry and Holbrooke get replaced with people that support the program, and the President uses this as an excuse to remove the deadline. I'm not sure that he is willing to stand up to the left third of the Democratic party, though.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Silly question. Patraeus of course.

That hasn't been the practice since the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq started, each with their own CG's, and I would be a bit surprised to see that change. Even with Iraq winding down Lt Gen Austin will take over and receive a fourth star just to command US Forces-Iraq.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not exactly normal career progression for the general of a major command to go back to theatre command is it?

More curious to see how Petraeus is going to handle all this than anything.

Back to the books Eddie. CENTCOM is NOT a "major command". That is used in Air Force to describe their MAJCOMs, which are general officer commands under a Combatant Command, which is what I think you meant to say.

Note: In the Navy a Major Command is an O-6 level command following O-5 Command. Typical Major Commands are bases or Carrier Air Wings or even Program Offices in NAVAIR.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Interesting observations by VDH:
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTMyZWI5NmYzYmIxZmZlYWM5Y2JiYjRlZmQwYzRjYWU=

The closing paragraph:

It is one of ironies of our present warped climate that Petraeus will face far less criticism from the media and politicians than during 2007–8 (there will be no more “General Betray Us” ads or “suspension of disbelief” ridicule), because his success this time will reflect well on Obama rather than George Bush. It is a further irony that Obama is surging with Petraeus despite not long ago declaring that such a strategy and such a commander were failures in Iraq. And it is an even further irony that he is now rightly calling for “common purpose” when — again not long ago, at a critical juncture in Iraq — Obama himself, for partisan purposes on the campaign trail, had no interest in the common purpose of military success in Iraq.

Clux4

Banned
Speaking as a civilian, I see why this happened. It's a power play. I really think the President knows that the military has zero respect for him, and I think that the feeling is mutual from the President. "I have the power to fire your top guy. You'd better respect me," is the statement that this makes to the armed services.

Really? There are people that respect the President in today's military. Their voices are drowned by those that like to listen to themselves.
It is not as if Obama was looking to fire McChrystal all along.
I don't think the President is having a power play. Why should he? It is simple; I am in charge motherfu....

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Interesting observations by VDH:
http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=OTMyZWI5NmYzYmIxZmZlYWM5Y2JiYjRlZmQwYzRjYWU=

The closing paragraph:

It is one of ironies of our present warped climate that Petraeus will face far less criticism from the media and politicians than during 2007–8 (there will be no more “General Betray Us” ads or “suspension of disbelief” ridicule), because his success this time will reflect well on Obama rather than George Bush. It is a further irony that Obama is surging with Petraeus despite not long ago declaring that such a strategy and such a commander were failures in Iraq. And it is an even further irony that he is now rightly calling for “common purpose” when — again not long ago, at a critical juncture in Iraq — Obama himself, for partisan purposes on the campaign trail, had no interest in the common purpose of military success in Iraq.

How long before someone asks the president, vice president, and sec state to account for these earlier comments?