• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gen. Stanley McChrystal: on the job market soon ... ???

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Whoa, Mommy !!! I wonder if the General has his résumé filled out ???

Gen. Stanley McChrystal in Afghan war: US envoy betrayed me

Other gems worthy of note:

Although he voted for Obama, " ... McChrystal himself is described by an aide as "disappointed" in his first Oval Office meeting with an unprepared President Barack Obama..."

" ... McChrystal said he felt "betrayed" and accused the ambassador
(Amb. Karl Eikenberry) of giving himself cover ... now, if we fail, they can say 'I told you so'."

VP Biden and Richard Holbrooke, the special U.S. representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan are not spared, either ...

Pretty damning stuff ...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like he's throwing in the towel on OEF. Not good.

Hardly, he's speaking out so he can prosecute the fight he sees needs to be fought. I sincerely doubt he said these things (or in some cases, his aides said them) to get him fired. If you put a warrior in a warrior's job, you gotta let him do the deed. If the White House decides it needs to save face and let him go, there's always GEN Mattis waiting in the wings. even though that's a slight step down. Of course, he'd be just as blunt if faced with same type political situation.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Of course, (Mattis)'d be just as blunt if faced with same type political situation.
And there's the conundrum -- for me. The hard-core who put their lives at stake vs. those just passing through ...

So who fights the wars?? The military or the politicians?? We all know who dies in wars ... and it ain't the politicians. We've seen this disconnect way too many, many times over ... over & over again. 35+ years ago for me, personally.

I'm going on the assumption that this report is true; so a BIG thumb's up to Gen. McChrystal for saying what needs to be said ...

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
+1 for the General's comments, but to be honest, I'm not sure how he keeps his job now that this stuff is out. REGARDLESS of party, it is rare for an administration to keep someone in his position after open dissent (open or implied through aides).

Flugelman

Contributor
"The article claims McChrystal has seized control of the war "by never taking his eye off the real enemy: The wimps in the White House."

Pogo had it right...

Brings to mind the guy my Mom worked for at Braniff. She was secretary to the GSE manager. He told her on his first day on the job, "There's no way I'm ever going to succeed here because of the unions, but someone has to do it." I think McChrystal is in that same boat.:icon_rage

zpatman

Wonder how long it will be till retired Generals start the bashing on Obama....seems like there was a whole flurry of them just a few years ago with Bush. Me thinks the hampster is dying

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wonder how long it will be till retired Generals start the bashing on Obama....seems like there was a whole flurry of them just a few years ago with Bush. Me thinks the hampster is dying
¿Qué???? ¿Qué es eso??? Qué??? ¿Qué hora es ... ??

zpatman

¿Qué???? ¿Qué es eso??? Qué??? ¿Qué hora es ... ??

Before the accusations fly....that was not a Bush hating statement....just more a I don't think I've ever heard of the military being in cahoots with any administration...but I was 8 when Reagan left office...so i might have missed that one lol

exhelodrvr

pilot
The upper leadership in the military gets put in an impossible position - they often have to support and implement policies they don't agree with, without acknowledging their actual feelings, even though they repeatedly asked for their opinion. So should they resign, and let someone else who is (presumably) less capable implement said policies?
And if they slip, and give their honest opinion, they get pilloried by both sides. One side for criticizing the President, the other side for obeying orders and implementing his policies.
I do question the wisdom of letting someone (i.e. Rolling Stone) have this kind of access; seems like there is a unacceptably high likelihood of this type of thing happening.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
open descent

Descent?

B-47%20Descent0001.jpg

FlyinRock

Mi Amigo
es obvioso. Es militar contra los politicos. Quien ganar? Los politicos cada via.
Semper Fi
el piedro duro