• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FYI: Web Host Switch and Misc info

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FYI, for those that are interested. I am switching the web host for Air Warriors.com, and the DNS change will probably be going through between now and Monday. So if you have any difficulties accessing the site, that is the cause of it.

The site has been getting so many hits that the other provider was having problems keeping up, and started to charge me more $$ for their bandwidth, also their tech dept $ucked, and their servers lag. The site is averaging 20-30k sessions a month (ok, ok, I know that at LEAST 1k of that is just Steve, Matt, Dave, Tripp and I), with a gig and a half of bandwidth used, and about 1000+ downloads of gouge per month. Whew!! Didn't know there was THAT much interest in Naval Aviation. So we are going from the Radio Shack Tandy powered servers to the new high tech Ridilin Enhanced Gerbil on a treadmill powered 486 SX Server with a whopping 4megs of RAM!!! Stand back we are going to be moving now!!

Almost done with the new website updates, and should have that posted next week along with the website move. So Dave can get off my back with those behind the eight ball posts!

Matt also dropped a line that he got a digital camera, and when he has a free moment will be sending in more Jet pipeline pics, since "sniff" no one cares about my beloved P-3 pipeline ... Also have a bunch of pics, and footage of Corpus and Kingsville that will also be going up. Steve also sent in a pile of pics from his deployment, so yes I am the man dragging his feet!!

Managed to get my Commercial Single and Multi Engine, VFR and Instrument Rating Card, through the Military Competency Exam, definitely worth the $110 when the time comes. I have already rented a plane twice, and finally took the wife up for a ride in a Piper Warrior, so I guess she finally believe that I know how to fly and haven't been goofing off over the past year and a half.

All of this, and moving and reporting in to JAX next week, keeping me busy. Have gotten a bunch of emails from people, as soon as I get dedicated internet access and my email account back up with the new provider I will be responding to them. I am already missing my DSL connection, and unfortunately for me, my new phone line doesn't qualify for either DSL or Cable modems... sigh... enough whining, hope everyone has a good Turkey Day... mmm ... Turkey....

Dave Shutter

...didn't mean anything by the post, just getting tired of using the wagging tongue guy!

How do you like the Piper Warrior? I got about 26 hours in that (along with the Piper Tomahawk) including a solo waaaay back when I took lessons in high school. I'd give anything to be able to just jump in one of those and take off right now. Oh well, maybe there will be some flight time in a Turbo-weenie in my immediate future after all. My recruiter finally heard from Bethesda, a corpsman who handles appointments returned his call saying that he can't guarantee what the Dr. will say, but that he looked at all my medical reports that were sent and said guys with much worse medical issues have been getting accepted lately. Good news for once.

...congrats to Matt on getting hitched and a happy Turkey day to all!

D

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave, the Piper Warrior is a nice little plane, operative term "little", but I guess I can't just run out and rent a King Air now can I? I just wanted to go a couple of steps up from the run of the mill Cessna, and this one had the full IFR suite of VORs and GPS, and was ILS capable, so that was a definite bonus.

Went in and got checked out in the plane, the instructor spent more time asking about my training than drilling me on the plane. We took her up and did a couple of stalls, and went through some turns, 15, 30, etc. then when I guess he thought he had me thoroughly lost, he asked me where I was.. hehe.. I whipped back with well, the airport is 10 miles behind us, we are heading north east, the power plant is over there, and lake such and such is off our left wing... god military training comes in handy, get it beat into your head that you always have to know where you are. Did a couple touch and goes in the pattern, and he signed me off on the plane, took a little less than an hour.

Since then I have rented it two more times, just going up and dorking around, taking friends and family up to show them that I REALLY can fly a plane. Must say that she lands really nice, but I get this underpowered feeling on climbout and whenever I add power, guess you get spoiled with the Turbo Weenie and the King Air, don't know what kind of withdrawal Matt would go through after having flown the Goshawk. But all in all, good stuff, probably going to take it on the road for the next trip, at a whopping 105knots, woohoo!! Looking forward to the P3 though, probably fly her in late January after I finish ground school, kickin.

Best of luck on the waivers Dave, even if I wouldn't give you the time of day if I passed you on the street. jk

Well, gotta hit the road, happy Turkey Day to everyone. If anyone saw South Park last night, in the immortal words of Timmy: "Gobble!!!"

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, I got two things to add to this little post. One, there is nothing wrong with "the run of the mill Cessna." But just for your info, the Piper Warrior packs a wopping 160 HP whereas the C-172 uses 165 HP. I can understand you wanting to use the low wing aircraft since that is what you are used too. But come on John, expand your horizons. The C-172 is a great airplane and has done me quite well. Although I would have to say that I enjoy flying low wing airplanes more...I find them much more stable both in the air and especially in ground effect before touchdown. Well John, glad you got your Commercial ticket...maybe you can come out here and teach me a thing or two.....yea right

And second. You say that you get this underpowered feeling on climbout? Sounds like a personal problem to me...a man in control who has no control. Let me guess, your wife was probably flying huh? That would explain the underpowered feeling.

Sorry John, but you left yourself wide open.

Take care all,
--Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.