• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FYI: USMC Captain Recognition Bonus (MarAdmin 611/08)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You guys do whatever you want. I sincerely hope it works out for you, but it sounds like a shady-monitor-bullshit fuck job to me.

You ain't talkin' jive, brotha. Like my monitor told me that I had everything 'locked in' for the Aussie RAF exchange tour, but i miraculously wound up stabilized for Iraq next year.

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
I picture this conversation:...

Me: "Hey, asshole.....

You guys do whatever you want. I sincerely hope it works out for you, but it sounds like a shady-monitor-bullshit fuck job to me...

For a minute I felt like I was back in the Ready Room eating cheese, meat, bun waiting to launch on a night sortie. I'm glad some things never change.

Best Regards,
Waldo

theduke

I think hardly anyone in our squadron is taking it. Most not so much because they care about the additional year, but because we feel like the loss of leverage might not be worth it. Taking the devil's money might be an invitation for not getting the orders you want, as they've got you, anyway.

...and yeah, the nanny-state, hand-holding, anti-tattoo (though I don't even have any, personally), "intrusive leadership", retro-reflective padded room mentality is the only thing that I can see potentially driving me away from this job. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets THAT pissed over it. My lifetime driving record, for example, is not the Corps' business.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
A buddy told me that this extra year runs concurrently with any obligation incurred from taking tuition assistance (for OCS guys). You guys have any input?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You know, I don't really care what they say about it affecting the bonus or not - I just don't trust them. Bonus or not.

To me, this just wreaks of desperation and hangs a big "IA BAIT" sign around your neck.

"THOSE CAPTAINS WHO ACCEPT THE CSRB, AND HAVE MORE THAN 18 MONTHS OF OBLIGATED SERVICE, MAY RECEIVE ASSIGNMENT ORDERS FROM MMOA DURING CY 2009."

Take the money. Maybe you'll be able to look back and laugh at Squeeze who threw away the chance at a whopping $2800. And if you're lucky, maybe it won't be from the Syrian border, Camp Fallujah, or any number of other lovely TT locales.

Clux4

Banned
It will not be Fallujah because Fallujah is almost history. It would be more like Iran-Iraqi border where you will be an Iranian moving target practise.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
"THOSE CAPTAINS WHO ACCEPT THE CSRB, AND HAVE MORE THAN 18 MONTHS OF OBLIGATED SERVICE, MAY RECEIVE ASSIGNMENT ORDERS FROM MMOA DURING CY 2009."

Since I already got fucked out of my orders for Australia--or any orders, for that matter--next year, maybe I should take the bonus and try for a change of scenery. I mean, my wife won't mind if I go somewhere without her for a year, especially when you through in that $2800 enticement. Hell, that's almost a whole paycheck.

They've already got me for at least 1 1/2 more years, thanks to the lovely INDEF for my EAS. I think that I'll bide my time for a while and see what happens. Someone mentioned the idea of leverage in another post, and even if it's more the illusion of power than anything else, it's something.

theduke

We just got some clarification. It won't affect your big (or not-so-big, if you wear 2 anchors) career bonus in any way.

I still don't know if I want to take it, though. Sounds like dropping your pants and grabbing your ankles in front of the monitor. I don't really care about the year of service tacked on, but I don't want to lose any bargaining leverage I might have for $4000.

On the other hand, it would be stupid to turn up your nose at $4000 for no good reason.

phrogpilot73

We just got some clarification. It won't affect your big (or not-so-big, if you wear 2 anchors) career bonus in any way.
Get it in writing. I'm still with Harrier Dude, it sounds like a bullshit monitor fuck job.

This is what the FY09 ACP message states:
A. BE WITHIN ONE YEAR OF COMPLETING ANY ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE COMMITMENT (ADSC) INCURRED FOR UNDERGRADUATE AVIATOR TRAINING AND ANY ADDITIONAL OBLIGATION INCURRED FROM THE FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM, REF B, IF APPLICABLE.

All it takes is a minor change... And you're fucked. Envision the FY10 ACP message saying:
A. BE WITHIN ONE YEAR OF COMPLETING ANY ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE COMMITMENT (ADSC).

That took me what, 30 seconds to change? And I'm not a shady monitor. Get it in writing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Get it in writing. I'm still with Harrier Dude, it sounds like a bullshit monitor fuck job.

This is what the FY09 ACP message states:

All it takes is a minor change... And you're fucked. Envision the FY10 ACP message saying:

That took me what, 30 seconds to change? And I'm not a shady monitor. Get it in writing.

The thing is the POC is completely right...according to this year's message. No one can or will tell the future on this one. I'm not sure an e-mail, or even signed correspondance from a major at MMOA will stop someone from getting hosed down the road. I doubt anyone would ever put his name on a piece of paper that could get him reamed for promising a captain something that wasn't his to deliver come the next bonus message.

As of today, the $4K is free money. Come a couple years from now, who knows. I'd say you have a better than even chance of getting free moolah. Just watch next year's ACP msg with bated breath.

phrogpilot73

I'm not sure an e-mail, or even signed correspondance from a major at MMOA will stop someone from getting hosed down the road.
Actually, they're signing another contract. (at least I did when I took the reserve bonus - and it was more than $4K) If they can find some retard to add that they will still be eligible for ACP, then if they aren't - USMC = breech and they can get out free and clear.

I doubt anyone would ever put his name on a piece of paper that could get him reamed for promising a captain something that wasn't his to deliver come the next bonus message.

As of today, the $4K is free money. Come a couple years from now, who knows. I'd say you have a better than even chance of getting free moolah. Just watch next year's ACP msg with bated breath.
No one will put their name to a piece of paper, because they know it's a gamble. Maybe you like to throw 20K down for a #1 ranked team to cover a three point spread, but I don't.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Let us see,

This is the future of our Corps!

It was awesome having to leave Camp Barrett one morning a month or two back to go pick up my motorcycle from its storage garage, ride it to base in a torrential downpour so that my Staff Plt Cmdr, who has never ridden a motorcycle, could inspect it to ensure it was safe to operate. And then ride it back in the aforementioned downpour, of course.

That was a great idea.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It was awesome having to leave Camp Barrett one morning a month or two back to go pick up my motorcycle from its storage garage, ride it to base in a torrential downpour so that my Staff Plt Cmdr, who has never ridden a motorcycle, could inspect it to ensure it was safe to operate. And then ride it back in the aforementioned downpour, of course.

That was a great idea.

You should have pulled a few hoses for your own enjoyment.

SPC - "Um, Lieutenant, is that hose suppose to be just hanging there like that?"

Lt. Smartass - "Yes sir, it's a, um, just a drain hose." (Nevermind that it is coming from the fuel tank...)

SPC - "Very well, carry on."