• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY15 STA-21 Applicants

zarevich

got my scores back OAR 48, 5-6-5. I think the test was pretty easy and straight forward, didn't study that much for this test (the scores say it all), but will retake it in May and for sure will get at least 7+ in aviation portion and 50+ OAR. Just in case, i am using Accepted.Inc and FAA study book ( just the chapter for basic composition of an airplane) and gauges from this website for Mechanical and Aviation History, etc.
Thank you everybody for excellent gauges and information that you all provide on this website.
V/r
Pavel

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
got my scores back OAR 48, 5-6-5. I think the test was pretty easy and straight forward, didn't study that much for this test (the scores say it all), but will retake it in May and for sure will get at least 7+ in aviation portion and 50+ OAR. Just in case, i am using Accepted.Inc and FAA study book ( just the chapter for basic composition of an airplane) and gauges from this website for Mechanical and Aviation History, etc.
Thank you everybody for excellent gauges and information that you all provide on this website.
V/r
Pavel

Can you post a link for the study material that you used for the test? Thanks

Yeager

Good luck to everyone. Not NEARLY as much traffic as there was last time. Finally at a shore command, hopefully they come through a little more organized this year. Last year for a ship going through INSERV it was horrifyingly stressful. Finally decided to join and post after 2 years of, 'stalking.' Maybe this will put me over the edge? I am sure the boardsman read this as well to see who is really committed. :)

Yeager

My feelings are confirmed, this time last year there were 7 pages to the same type of thread. Crazy!

ChanChan28

Not sure how to start a thread, so sorry for replying on this. I am appling for the pilot program this year. I have my Officer Interviews next week and was wondering what kind of questions they might ask.

Grimmetal

Having lurked around STA-21 Facebook groups and forums, I'm genuinely curious about a perceived lack of involvement with online resources this year. Trying not to convince myself it's a good sign and maybe there is just less interest in the program overall this year.

Anyway, I was also curious to see how everyone else's packages are coming along. Being my first year applying, its absolutely been a roller coaster so far. There have been so many different emotions and things that I've learned about myself so far. Just had my internal board this past week and it was my very first experience with any sort of board/interview in the Navy. I was nervous and really had no idea what was going to be asked or what I would have to answer. I think I purposely left myself a little bit unprepared to see how I would react. Not the smartest move but I was curious about that. I've got doubts about myself and I know I didn't show enough confidence in myself during my board. It's something I'm going to focus on going into my external board in the next couple of weeks. So yeah, I definitely felt like I bombed it.

But since that board, my package has gotten quite a bit stronger. I took the SAT at the beginning of April and missed a qualifying math score by 20 points. So I took the ACT mid-May. I was really cutting it close and I was an alternate on the list as well so I didn't even know if I was going to be able to take the test. If I hadn't, my package would be sitting on the shelf waiting for next year's submission. But luckily the scores came back within 10 days and I've got better scores than the first time I took the ACT back in high school. (Yes, I did my internal board while waiting for ACT scores, but with our upcoming schedule, that's the way it had to happen.)

The second part of all this that will boost my package are my college grades. Took 1 year of University 7 years ago and came out of that with a 1.1 GPA and 11 credits. I took three classes this past semester online through Coastline Community College. After my grades are entered (hopefully sometime in the next month), my GPA will skyrocket to a 2.8. I also submitted my previous grades and JST transcript to Coastline and they've decided to award me around 20 credits for that.
So I'm now going into this package with 39 credits and 7 more getting completed this summer. 2.8 and 39 >>>> 1.1 and 11.

That's really about it. I'd collected everything else and really just need external board and CO's inputs and I'm ready to send it off next month. If there's anyone lurking out there that are on the fence about applying for the program next year or following up on a half completed package this year, JUST DO IT. You will learn valuable things about yourself, trust me. I try to remind myself that my package can only get stronger from here no matter if I get picked up this year (probably unlikely) or 5 years down the line applying under a different officer area. I want to be a Naval officer, not just an NFO.

ChanChan28

My package is going well. I just took my ACT on the 19th. Did you go to Navy College or out in town? 10 days! That will be a relief. Did the scores come in the mail or an online website? I have my internal boards tomorrow. I'm nervous! All i can do is get them my best. We shall see how it goes. I'm am going in with 36 credits and a GPA of 3.0. Having 9 credits this summer. Have you taken your ASTB yet?

Grimmetal

My package is going well. I just took my ACT on the 19th. Did you go to Navy College or out in town? 10 days! That will be a relief. Did the scores come in the mail or an online website? I have my internal boards tomorrow. I'm nervous! All i can do is get them my best. We shall see how it goes. I'm am going in with 36 credits and a GPA of 3.0. Having 9 credits this summer. Have you taken your ASTB yet?

I went to Navy College and did the Dantes sponsored test. The scores were posted online even though they try to tell you they won't be online until you receive the hard copy in the mail. So I still have to wait on an official copy to put in my package.

I took the ASTB back in April. I got a 6/6/6 and a 49. I took that one through a local NROTC unit.

kcthorn10

AWR3 (Tactical Helicopter)/ Rescue Swimmer
I'm just starting to work on my package... probably for next year's... it's going well, but some things are hurting me I think. Took ACT before, got 33 math 28 English... but that was over 3 years ago... taking it again on Saturday and been getting 35/34 on my practice exams... we'll see how it goes. Still need to take ASTB but it should be pretty cake because of my math/physics background... and I'm also MH-60R crewman/rescue swimmer so I know a lot about flying, at least what will be covered on the ASTB.

But the things that are hurting me is my GPA i think. I went to Virginia Tech (big NROTC college) and majored in Aerospace Engineering but dropped out after freshman year. 2.25 GPA, but I got all of my calculus/physics done required for STA-21. The good news is I last attended in 2011 so my GPA will be reset in 2016, which is when I'm planning on attending.

But I'm still a junior crewman so I have no leadership or evals, as I will have spent the first 2.5 years of my naval career as a student. This also makes it difficult to get letters of recommendation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I'm just starting to work on my package... probably for next year's... it's going well, but some things are hurting me I think. Took ACT before, got 33 math 28 English... but that was over 3 years ago... taking it again on Saturday and been getting 35/34 on my practice exams... we'll see how it goes. Still need to take ASTB but it should be pretty cake because of my math/physics background... and I'm also MH-60R crewman/rescue swimmer so I know a lot about flying, at least what will be covered on the ASTB.

But the things that are hurting me is my GPA i think. I went to Virginia Tech (big NROTC college) and majored in Aerospace Engineering but dropped out after freshman year. 2.25 GPA, but I got all of my calculus/physics done required for STA-21. The good news is I last attended in 2011 so my GPA will be reset in 2016, which is when I'm planning on attending.

But I'm still a junior crewman so I have no leadership or evals, as I will have spent the first 2.5 years of my naval career as a student. This also makes it difficult to get letters of recommendation.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

One suggestion would be to take some college classes as soon as possible and get some high grades. This way you can show the board that you can achieve a qualified GPA. ACT wise, you should be fine.