• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY15 IDC DCO Boards

exNavyOffRec

Could you provide any recommendations of what I can do to ensure that my recruiter is doing everything by the book?

If they will let them go for a year no issues on dates, but my concern would be the interviews won't reflect the improvements you have done that could get you better marks, none of the reserve OR's I worked with had much confidence in getting people selected for DCO without straight 10's

Crippy011

You live by the gouge, you die by the gouge
If they will let them go for a year no issues on dates, but my concern would be the interviews won't reflect the improvements you have done that could get you better marks, none of the reserve OR's I worked with had much confidence in getting people selected for DCO without straight 10's

While I agree with you that having new local interviews would help, would it be worthwhile waiting for the next board or should I wait and see what happens with the upcoming board?
Additionally, I've redone my reconsideration letter to detail my new job and some new recent accomplishments and have a few more personal references as well. I would hope these would provide some additional support to the local board interviews.

exNavyOffRec

While I agree with you that having new local interviews would help, would it be worthwhile waiting for the next board or should I wait and see what happens with the upcoming board?
Additionally, I've redone my reconsideration letter to detail my new job and some new recent accomplishments and have a few more personal references as well. I would hope these would provide some additional support to the local board interviews.

I would go for it from what you just said

CaesarFromNOLA

My recruiter says applications go in today, the Board will meet within 1 month, and results should be out within~2 months (ie mid-April).

bryanteagle6

the board is march 16-20 i think. I would expect everyone would hear back from their recruiter by april 3. Some ppl hear back as early as the friday after the board concludes. BTW reading a lot of posts over the last few years, Ive noticed a lot of ppl going to MEPS after selection. My recruiter sent me before selection - Im already medically cleared for service. That being said, I would hope that would speed up the process with COMMDOCS etc. Anyone else in the same boat?!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
BTW reading a lot of posts over the last few years, Ive noticed a lot of ppl going to MEPS after selection. My recruiter sent me before selection - Im already medically cleared for service. That being said, I would hope that would speed up the process with COMMDOCS etc. Anyone else in the same boat?!
I'm in the same boat with regard to MEPS; I got medically cleared prior to this March 2015 board.

I am a long time reader of these threads; first time poster. This is my first application to Navy IDC Reserve (1835) that will end up going to Millington; that said, I first applied in 2013 and did panel interviews in 2013 and 2014.

Having started this whole application process in 2013, I can say that I am a very different person today than when I first applied. I still live in the same house and work for the same company, but... ya know, time changes us all.

I've improved my qualifications in the past couple years, and I am confident that I've done everything I can to improve my candidacy. Just not sure whether I'll get selected or not. We'll see. Either way, it's been a fun ride so far.

RickD

Hi All. New to the site, just joined today.

I know I am going to get ribbed for being an Air Force veteran on this site. But I'm prepared :) If it helps, my wife is a NAVET and my brother-in-law is a retired Chief.

I do have a few questions though that may help with my acceptance.

I am looking at the possibility of applying for DCO for IDC (IP) within USNR. A snippet of my background is below, but I wanted to see if I would be classified as "competitive" and if my old age of 47 is a major hurdle.

College Degree: BS in Information Technology (emphasis on Network Security)
College: Northeastern University (Boston, MA)
GPA: 3.93 (Summa Cum Laude), member of Alpha sigma Lambda National Honor Society
Veteran status: USAF 85-89
Job: IT Manager, been in the IT field since 1996
Leadership: Civilian/military. Spent the last 10 years in in IT management
Certifications: MCP. But my CCNA and CCDA have lapsed
Volunteerism: Church, I also serve as the Deputy Commander in the Civil Air Patrol (Middletown Cadet Squadron).
Activities: Avid runner

I know the age thing is a major issue, but what about the other areas?

Thanks

I know I am going to get ribbed for being an Air Force veteran on this site. But I'm prepared :) If it helps, my wife is a NAVET and my brother-in-law is a retired Chief.

I am looking at the possibility of applying for DCO for IDC (IP) within USNR. A snippet of my background is below, but I wanted to see if I would be classified as "competitive" and if my old age of 47 is a major hurdle.

GPA: 3.93 (Summa Cum Laude), member of Alpha sigma Lambda National Honor Society
Volunteerism: Church, I also serve as the Deputy Commander in the Civil Air Patrol (Middletown Cadet Squadron).

Thanks

RickD:

It looks like you could very well be considered competitive! I have similar qualifications and I'm currently working on my Master's and I was considered competitive. I'm half your age though. lol I have heard that there have been people to get an age waiver and still get selected; however, this was when the IDC community was new. But it doesn't hurt to try, because you'll never know what'll happen! Best of luck!

My package was recently submitted! Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know if anyone was selected with only a Bachelor's? I'm reading that having a Master's is highly encouraged and having a STEM degree is highly desired aka required. lol

I was told that my package was competitive to include strong LORs, 10/10s for the interviews and strong OIC endorsement, but seems like others are in the same boat.

bryanteagle6

Thanks

Rick
I would say you have the civilian experience desired, military background helps, and good gpa etc!
I'd say your negatives are: not having a master's degree and your age.
the only requirement for age is that you can get 20 years in by the age of 62. Your years in the air force count but you are close to the boundary. You will most likely need a waiver. That being said, from my experience (just reading posts etc) 30 is young in the DCO world.

My package was recently submitted! Best of luck to everyone!

Does anyone know if anyone was selected with only a Bachelor's? I'm reading that having a Master's is highly encouraged and having a STEM degree is highly desired aka required. lol

I was told that my package was competitive to include strong LORs, 10/10s for the interviews and strong OIC endorsement, but seems like others are in the same boat.

Cool
a master's is not required, its just in many applicants package, so it is a measure of comparing the package strength for the whole person concept. There are ppl selected without a masters. It would be good to show that you are working towards it. There are no "trump" cards in DCO selection. some are selected because of their degrees, experience, or leadership - but all are selected for their desire to serve. So make sure you can "sell" yourself in your motivation statement, interviews, and references.

The program managers don't send packages that they don't think are competitive, it is a waste of their time. So be honest to your OR and they will be honest to you. We had many ppl go through interviews and our OR was told by the Officer in charge that they did not have "it." They reset, improved their package, and redid their interviews instead of submitting a mediocre package.

Rick
I would say you have the civilian experience desired, military background helps, and good gpa etc!
the only requirement for age is that you can get 20 years in by the age of 62. Your years in the air force count but you are close to the boundary. You will most likely need a waiver. That being said, from my experience (just reading posts etc) 30 is young in the DCO world.

Cool
a master's is not required, its just in many applicants package, so it is a measure of comparing the package strength for the whole person concept. There are ppl selected without a masters. It would be good to show that you are working towards it. There are no "trump" cards in DCO selection. some are selected because of their degrees, experience, or leadership - but all are selected for their desire to serve. So make sure you can "sell" yourself in your motivation statement, interviews, and references.

The program managers don't send packages that they don't think are competitive, it is a waste of their time. So be honest to your OR and they will be honest to you. We had many ppl go through interviews and our OR was told by the Officer in charge that they did not have "it." They reset, improved their package, and redid their interviews instead of submitting a mediocre package.

Bryant

That's encouraging to hear! All interviews went well and the OIC gave me his highest endorsement! The recruiters were doing everything they could to ensure that my application was submitted on time to ensure that I had a chance, but now it's up to the board. Reading all the comments, I started to doubt the strength of my package because others had strong LORs, Master's etc. I believe I have everything to become a Navy IDC Officer, hopefully those on the board feel the same.

Rick

Cool

Bryant

Have you been selected yet? If not, have you submitted for the March board?

RickD

If I were in Medical, Law, or Clergy I would feel more confident. But, with the explosion in the digital age and the interests by the younger generation in that field, candidates in my pool are half my age (as CoolBreeze pointed out). To be honest, I'm not even sure where I stand in the process. The only thing my OR has is my resume and a few other items. He's never asked for LOR's or other various material. He's never even provided a date outside of the "I need to see your EPR's from AD" by 15 APR 15. But, in reading these posts, it sounds as if boards are in March. That's not a good sign.

Since my EPR's are actually in the National Archives (no, seriously!), I had to place a request with MPRC to release them. So, who knows at this point. All I know is that I have plenty left in the tank. So much, that I am willing to shed the blue and crossover into the unknown (although having a wife who is a prior USN Corpsemen and a brother-in-law a retired Chief helps).

Best of luck CoolBreeze, hoping you get selected.

Ultimately, I just want the USN and the USNR to take the best of the best. This affects us all whether directly or indirectly. As a veteran, I want nothing more than a solid military filled with outstanding enlisted/officer personnel. If that includes me, great. If my time has come and gone - I can only hope my replacement is better than me.

If I were in Medical, Law, or Clergy I would feel more confident. But, with the explosion in the digital age and the interests by the younger generation in that field, candidates in my pool are half my age (as CoolBreeze pointed out). To be honest, I'm not even sure where I stand in the process. The only thing my OR has is my resume and a few other items. He's never asked for LOR's or other various material. He's never even provided a date outside of the "I need to see your EPR's from AD" by 15 APR 15. But, in reading these posts, it sounds as if boards are in March. That's not a good sign.

Since my EPR's are actually in the National Archives (no, seriously!), I had to place a request with MPRC to release them. So, who knows at this point. All I know is that I have plenty left in the tank. So much, that I am willing to shed the blue and crossover into the unknown (although having a wife who is a prior USN Corpsemen and a brother-in-law a retired Chief helps).

Best of luck CoolBreeze, hoping you get selected.

Ultimately, I just want the USN and the USNR to take the best of the best. This affects us all whether directly or indirectly. As a veteran, I want nothing more than a solid military filled with outstanding enlisted/officer personnel. If that includes me, great. If my time has come and gone - I can only hope my replacement is better than me.

Rick,

Thanks!
I'm not sure about other NRDs, but for the one that I'm going through my package was due couple days ago; however, the board is in March (16-20) I believe and the rumor is that there will be another board in May, if it doesn't get cancelled for some reason as it has in the past. Luckily, I'm still in and all my records are still active, I pretty much printed my whole record in vMPF as they needed all my awards, EPRs, official count of TIS, etc. Oh! I had to get a letter from the VA stating that I'm currently not receiving any benefits from them. Additionally, they needed ALL transcripts, whether I graduated from the school or not, this included the CCAF transcript. From what I've read and heard, the board decides on a whole person concept and from what I'm reading you have that, just need to put that in writing since all the board sees is our package. Best of luck to you as well!