• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

lifepilot17

FY-14 STA-21 Alternate Selectee
I'm starting my Calc 1 class two weeks from now, and have a Organizational Behavior class lined up after that. Depending on how October turns out, I may not be taking Org Behavior.

Just curious, is Calc 2 as intense as everyone says it is, or is it a state of mind/attitude situation?

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
Just curious, is Calc 2 as intense as everyone says it is, or is it a state of mind/attitude situation?

Most of the time, when you hear someone say Calc 2 is hell on earth, they make that assertion because either their Calc 1 skills or their algebra/trig skills aren't up to par. A standard Calc 2 course is 80% integrals with some series and analytic geometry (parametric equations and the like) thrown in for good measure. The bulk of what gives most people a hard time are the techniques of integration (parts, trig sub, improper...) because, in a way, you're still trying to mentally digest what you learned in Calc 1.

A good attitude helps, but not as much as solid Calc 1 skills. Calculus is kind of my bread and butter so when you start your class, let me know if I can help.

For anyone interested, either for now or when you get selected and take Calc 1-3 later, one of my go-to references is Paul's Notes (throw it in google and the website comes right up). It is arguably the most comprehensive collection of online notes dedicated to everything from adv. algebra/trig through intro to differential equations.

lifepilot17

A good attitude helps, but not as much as solid Calc 1 skills. Calculus is kind of my bread and butter so when you start your class, let me know if I can help.

For anyone interested, either for now or when you get selected and take Calc 1-3 later, one of my go-to references is Paul's Notes (throw it in google and the website comes right up). It is arguably the most comprehensive collection of online notes dedicated to everything from adv. algebra/trig through intro to differential equations.

Now that's a GREAT resource! I've been brushing up my trig/algebra skills so I won't be too overwhelmed. I've always loved mathematics and the sciences (will be pursuing an Aero Engineering degree in the future).

I really appreciate your offer for help as well. Even if I'm not selected in October, I will continue my academic pursuits toward that degree by getting those foundation courses under my belt. I've already completed University Physics 1 with a calculus base and did pretty well, so I'm anticipating some correlation with the math.

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
Now that's a GREAT resource! I've been brushing up my trig/algebra skills so I won't be too overwhelmed. I've always loved mathematics and the sciences (will be pursuing an Aero Engineering degree in the future).

I really appreciate your offer for help as well. Even if I'm not selected in October, I will continue my academic pursuits toward that degree by getting those foundation courses under my belt. I've already completed University Physics 1 with a calculus base and did pretty well, so I'm anticipating some correlation with the math.

Aerospace Engineering is good stuff...that's my minor (I'm a Mech E major). Before I forget, there are two other resources you can pick up at your convenience that might help with your upcoming advanced math courses. Check out Amazon for the list of "Schaum's Outlines" (books) and these pretty righteous DVD tutorials by Jason Gibson (dude used to work as an electrical engineer for NASA...wicked smart!).

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
i wonder how the boards are going..... don't they commence in september??? they are reviewing our stuff as we speak!!!!!

lifepilot17

So, I've been curious, are the board members required to look through every package page for page, or could they potentially just toss an application to the side because they didn't like the first couple pages?

BackOrdered

Contributor
So, I've been curious, are the board members required to look through every package page for page, or could they potentially just toss an application to the side because they didn't like the first couple pages?

Grammatically or quality wise? Both can get you tossed.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grammatically or quality wise? Both can get you tossed.
An area, perhaps not well understood by package applicants, is that excellent writing skills are a requirement for success as a Naval Officer. When a board reviewing a submitted packet, notices errors in grammar; punctuation, spelling, Capitalization etc, in the first few pages, the rest of your packet is probably not going to get the attention it deserves. Before submitting, find a grammar savvy proofreader (or several), preferably an English Teacher/Professor to "edit", and mark it up for you. It may well be the difference between "Y" and "N"!

Be aware that your career success and promotions, and those of YOUR Sailors, will greatly depend on your writing abilities!
BzB, Prior ET2 (SS)

lifepilot17

An area, perhaps not well understood by package applicants, is that excellent writing skills are a requirement for success as a Naval Officer. When a board reviewing a submitted packet, notices errors in grammar; punctuation, spelling, Capitalization etc, in the first few pages, the rest of your packet is probably not going to get the attention it deserves. Before submitting, find a grammar savvy proofreader (or several), preferably an English Teacher/Professor to "edit", and mark it up for you. It may well be the difference between "Y" and "N"!

Be aware that your career success and promotions, and those of YOUR Sailors, will greatly depend on your writing abilities!
BzB, Prior ET2 (SS)

I had quite a few people overlook my application, O-5's and a couple Phd's, and spell checked/grammar checked it at least 25 times. There shouldn't be a problem with it there.

My main concerns are having only one evaluation and being an airman at the time of submission. The most powerful "on paper" part of my package is in my college, the internal/external board write-ups, ACT scores, ASTB, Pilot's License, and awards and LOR's from college ROTC; all of which are past the first few pages.

I guess I may be in that anxious/excited/anticipation stage of the waiting game, justifying daily on both positive and negative outcomes of the selection process. It's hard not to think about what we've put so much time and energy into!

Thanks for your inputs tiz84 and BzB!

Jeremy Springston

FY14 CEC Option
My main concerns are having only one evaluation and being an airman at the time of submission. The most powerful "on paper" part of my package is in my college, the internal/external board write-ups, ACT scores, ASTB, Pilot's License, and awards and LOR's from college ROTC; all of which are past the first few pages.

Believe it or not, if you look at things from a probability standpoint, the fact that you are an airman does not lessen your chance of being selected at all. As a part of the fleet brief given by the STA-21 people every, the last few pages are dedicated to breaking down the selected applicants by age, rank, and TOS. The overwhelming majority of selected applicants are E1-E4 with under 6 years experience. My assumption is that they do this to better ensure a 20-year career out of the selectees (and that younger selectees have fewer bad habits to break during training).

In other words, they look for young Thundercats like you instead of old farts like me.

DANG3R M0US3

The overwhelming majority of selected applicants are E1-E4 with under 6 years experience. My assumption is that they do this to better ensure a 20-year career out of the selectees (and that younger selectees have fewer bad habits to break during training).

In other words, they look for young Thundercats like you instead of old farts like me.

I think this has more to do with the fact that the majority of individuals are selected for the Nuclear program(31/50 selections). With selection consistently high in this, a young age limit (26 1/2), as well as the majority of those being selected coming straight from Nuclear Power School, puts them in the E1-E4 range and under 6 years experience. Looking at the breakdown of the selects from last years message, only one E4 and below was selected for the remaining non-nuclear programs. Core had four E5 and one E6, the rest had one E4, eight E5, and five E6. The alternates had a few more E4, but for the most part held true to the E5 and above. I'm not trying to discourage anyone E4 and below from applying, but am being a realist. If you are E4 and below and don't get selected, APPLY AGAIN! Every year I have applied, I believe my chances are better, because my package is that much better. Evaluate what you may need to do to improve your chances the next year, and do it! If you are an E4 and below that gets selected outside of the Nuclear option, you must be working extremely hard, so Congrats! Just my interpretation...

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I think this has more to do with the fact that the majority of individuals are selected for the Nuclear program(31/50 selections). With selection consistently high in this, a young age limit (26 1/2), as well as the majority of those being selected coming straight from Nuclear Power School, puts them in the E1-E4 range and under 6 years experience. Looking at the breakdown of the selects from last years message, only one E4 and below was selected for the remaining non-nuclear programs. Core had four E5 and one E6, the rest had one E4, eight E5, and five E6. The alternates had a few more E4, but for the most part held true to the E5 and above. I'm not trying to discourage anyone E4 and below from applying, but am being a realist. If you are E4 and below and don't get selected, APPLY AGAIN! Every year I have applied, I believe my chances are better, because my package is that much better. Evaluate what you may need to do to improve your chances the next year, and do it! If you are an E4 and below that gets selected outside of the Nuclear option, you must be working extremely hard, so Congrats! Just my interpretation...

That is exactly what I thought about as soon as I read his post. NUKES throw that data way off. I could not have put it any better myself.

A_Wand

FY12/13 ALT FY14 CANDIDATE
so, anyone have the inside look at the status of the boards? how about the inside man at naval personnel admin? LOL.

-get ready F5... you're about to be worn out! 8 DAYS!