• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

Dont get discouraged guys! It took me 3 tries to get picked up. Just keep getting more and more interviews until you have all 10s to submit and 100% confidence. Then also look at certifications and advanced degrees.. I felt like Rudy when I got picked up finally after 9 years of night school and 5 total commission applications.

Spacecadet

Congrats to those selected. I'm joining you!! Got the word this morning I was selected. First timer for me, so I feel very lucky. To those that didn't make it, keep at it and join us on the other side. PM me if you have any questions.

das

Contributor
Agree with CTN1Sid...it also took me 3 tries and several years to get selected. I have heard from more than one person that the board (even though it is not the same composition each time) does consider persistence, and continuous improvement of packages, to be a factor in the decision process. So, keep trying! For those who didn't get picked up that do NOT have a master's degree, I strongly recommend starting one.

ChairWarrior

Hey guys, I have been trying to contact my recruiter since Friday but found out he is on leave this week. Looks like most people have found out already. Could someone with access to the list please PM me? I doubt I made it with the low numbers this round but I want confirmation.

das

Contributor
SEP 2014 IDC PR highlights -- use this information to understand what the board is looking for.

A professional review board consisting of ten 1805/1815 / 1825/1830/1835 officers reviewed 235 packages, of which 47 were professionally recommended for commissioning.

The professional review board utilized a "best fit" approach when recommending candidates for the various Information Dominance Corps (IDC) designators. Based on this approach, a candidate may have been recommended for a designator which was not the candidate's primary community preference but the professional review board determined the presented skills were a better fit for the community for which they were ultimately recommended. Particular emphasis was also given to the "whole person" concept as well as demonstrated success with respect to coursework in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).

Recommended applications for Oceanography (1805) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/civilian), strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations, specific relevant Meteorology and Oceanography educational background and experience.

Recommended applications for Information Warfare (1815) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/ civilian), strong motivational/personal statement outstanding appraisals, letters of recommendation, related degree (particularly Hard Science, Engineering or Language), level of education, GPA, Information Warfare/IDC-related job experience, and security clearance eligibility.

Recommended applications for Information Professional (1825) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/civilian), advanced technical degrees (particularly STEM related), Information Technology/IDC-related work experience (Radio Frequency (RF) technology or Shipboard Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Inlelligence (C4I)), technical certifications (e.g. CISSP, Security+), security clearance eligibility, strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations.

Recommended applications for Intelligence (1835) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military or civilian), advanced education (with emphasis on STEM related coursework), intelligence/IDC-related/analytical work experience, security clearance eligibility, strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations.

Non-selected applications possessed one or more of the following general attributes: Weak or ambiguous IDC OIC endorsement, incomplete packages including lack of supporting documentation, less than outstanding panel interviews, lack of quantifiable leadership, lack of demonstrated strong educational performance (with emphasis on STEM-related coursework), demonstrated poor writing skills and civilian or military employment/skill set not applicable.

General professional review board observations/commissioning instructions:

a. The Professional Review noted a few applications did not meet minimum requirements as delineated in IDC Program Authorizations and other governing documents. Recruiters need to carefully scrutinize applicant packages for completeness, consistency and compliance.

b. The Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance has directed a 60-40% hard science versus social science targeted accession mix of all new IDC accessions. Recruiters shall make every reasonable attempt to submit future candidates with preferred major fields of study associated with the achievement of information dominance to include, but not limited to, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).

c. A strong emphasis should be placed on the candidate's education, professional experience/certifications, leadership experience/potential and strong motivational statements.

d. Candidates should clearly explain any adverse areas in their application. In such an incredibly competitive review process, any unexplained or ambiguous issues were generally not favorably considered for "best fit" within the "whole person" concept.

e. All candidates must meet the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) 704 eligibility standards for access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) and other controlled access program infor mation. Being a U.S. citizen and a citizen of another country is not necessarily disqualifying. Associated risks to national security will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Refer to Intelligence Community Policy Guidance Number 704.2.

1. Applicants who have immediate family members or other persons who are non-U.S. citizens to whom the subject is bound by affection or obligation with low, medium, and high tier country associations require strict adherence to Navy ICD 704 implementing policy for the processing for SCI Access Eligibility.

2. Due to the heightened risk related to national security, the Community Manager shall determine commissioning policy exception guidance for applicants with medium and high tier country associations based on compelling need and intelligence risk assessment, established manning and mission needs.

f. Although enlisted professionals are a rich resource from which to devel op future officers, candidates whose rates are not permanent or are completing their community's initial training requirements should not apply until initial training requirements are completed.

g. IDC Packages should be tailored to communities within the IDC for which the candidate is best suited based on their education, skill set and occupational experience.

h. All recommended prior service commissioned officers shall be commissioned at their last commissioned rank. Recruiters are instructed to reset time-in-grade clocks for any professionally recommended candidates that will be commissi oned in the grade of O-3 so as to not disadvantage or hinder the candidate's future promotion opportunities.

Specifics regarding candidates' scores or board deliberations will not be disclosed outside of the professional review membership. Candidates and recruiters are encouraged to consult with the local IDC Region OIC and OCEANO/IW/IP RC community leads to determine how to proceed/improve candidates' packages. The guiding documents for this PR were Program Authorizations 108A, 108B, 108C, and 108D. Candidates are discouraged from contacting the IDC (Active/Reserve) OCMs or professional review voting members and should request any information regarding the professional review process via their NRDs.

The next IDC DCO Professional Review will be held 16-20 March 2015. Interim guidance has been promulgated through CNRC PRODOCs checklist, COMIDCRESCOM DCO Recruiting SOP and September 2014 IDC DCO PR Precept. All IDC applicants require an IDC Reserve Region OIC endorsement or Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (CNMOC) Operational Support Officer (OSO) endorsement.

All professionally recommended enlisted IDC candidates currently mobilized or identified for mobilization shall be commissioned after demobilization, irrespective of the fiscal year. Additionally, those candidates who have not previously mobilized in their current rate or are outside dwell or deferment period shall be required to fulfill directed community mobilization requirements prior to commissioning.

---

Other critical resources:
Board history:

SEP09 (first FY10 board) - 174 applicants. Selected 57 INTEL. (Last INTEL-only board.)
MAR10 (second FY10 board) - 278 applicants. Selected 31 INTEL, 11 IW, 13 IP, 0 OCEANO. (First joint IDC board.)
SEP10 (first FY11 board) - 262 applicants. Selected 41 INTEL, 10 IW, 5 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR11 (second FY11 board) - 283 applicants. Selected 40 INTEL, 10 IW, 6 IP, 0 OCEANO.
SEP11 (first FY12 board) - 348 applicants. Selected 55 INTEL, 12 IW, 7 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR12 (second FY12 board) - 243 applicants. Selected 59 INTEL, 8 IW, 9 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP12 (first FY13 board) - 285 applicants. Selected 54 INTEL, 6 IW, 5 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR13 (second FY13 board) - 234 applicants. Selected 53 INTEL, 7 IW, 5 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP13 (first FY14 board) - 196 applicants. Selected 50 INTEL, 8 IW, 6 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR14 (second FY14 board) - 190 applicants. Selected 40 INTEL, 8 IW, 9 IP, 0 OCEANO.
SEP14 (first FY15 board) - 235 applicants. Selected 38 INTEL, 4 IW, 3 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR15 (second FY15 board) - 16-20MAR15.

exNavyOffRec

I have heard from more than one person that the board (even though it is not the same composition each time) does consider persistence, and continuous improvement of packages, to be a factor in the decision process.

What is interesting is that is not really the case for people trying to go AD, it just shows that AD and reserves are two different animals.

chatman

First time post... Found out today I was non-select (NRD Ohio) for my first attempt at direct commission. A little discouraged, but now I feel even more motivated to try for March selection. From what my recruiter told me, this round was extremely competitive. Any suggestions on the best way to improve the competitiveness of a package over the next 6 months (starting masters degree, additional certs, volunteer work, etc) for Intel?

Applying for INTEL/IP
B.B.A. Major: Computers and Information Systems - 2001
13+ years in various IT Management and Lead Technical roles
Certifications: Security+, MCSE, MCSA, VCP
Outstanding OIC & panel interviews
6 LOR's

Last edited:

Becks

Becks
Congrats all that made it. For those that didn't make it this round don't give up and don't get discouraged.
If you were selected and are in the DC/VA/MD and have questions about the process moving forward from here feel free to PM me.

Again, BZ new Intel/IP/IW/OCEANO selectees, see you around the fleet.

das

Contributor
First time post... Found out today I was non-select (NRD Ohio) for my first attempt at direct commission. A little discouraged, but now I feel even more motivated to try for March selection. From what my recruiter told me, this round was extremely competitive. Any suggestions on the best way to improve the competitiveness of a package over the next 6 months (starting masters degree, additional certs, volunteer work, etc) for Intel?

Applying for INTEL/IP
B.B.A. Major: Computers and Information Systems - 2001
13+ years in various IT Management and Lead Technical roles
Certifications: Security+, MCSE, MCSA, VCP
Outstanding OIC & panel interviews
6 LOR's

The things you named are great ideas...especially starting a graduate degree. Certs can't hurt, but aren't a big deal for INTEL...though they can matter for IP. If you are going to do any cert, do CISSP. I would also see if you can get your own interviews with some IDC O-6s. You CAN do this on your own...with Google and a little resourcefulness, I was able to do interviews with 4 additional O-6s and 2 O-7s (one active, one reserve) for my package. No one I asked said no, and I traveled to meet with all of them (no phone interviews). This may not be possible/practical for you, but try to get at least a couple, even if they are phone or Skype interviews. Now, I had all these interviews in my package for my 2nd try, where I was also non-select...but for my third, I had the help of an Admiral that I met at the Naval Intelligence Professionals dinner in DC to really "finesse" my package. I am by no means saying you have to do all of these things, but in my view, each thing I did played its part in ultimately getting selected. The fact is most everyone applying are strong candidates, and you need to find a way to make yourself stand out.

ChairWarrior

It's been 5 days since results came out and I still don't have word, if anyone out there with list access can help me please let me know. I'd really like to know one way or another. My recruiter is out and the others in his office claim they don't have access.