• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

I haven’t heard anything from my recruiter. I figure I will contact him Friday just to check in. I’m hoping for results this week based on the timelines of the past 4 boards.
Hey all, I have followed these boards for a long time but this is my first post. My packet was submitted for Sept 21 board for Intel. Reading past threads it seems results used to come out in a week or two, now they can be upwards of 4-6 weeks. Anyone have any update on this board?

Also, just an observation, it seems they keep taking more and more people (gotten to over 50% selection) each board. However, perhaps some designators are skewing those numbers a bit because I believe IP was 7/144 last time based on their web site.

My9iron

I haven’t heard anything from my recruiter. I figure I will contact him Friday just to check in. I’m hoping for results this week based on the timelines of the past 4 boards.
I had the same feeling about this week and my recruiter did mention mid-October more than once in recent weeks and then yesterday she came out of left field and said she really didn’t think we would hear back this month at all. It took me by surprise but I didn’t question her on it. Let us know if you hear anything noteworthy and good luck!

I know this isn't the right topic, but some of you may be able to answer and it wasn't worth making a completely separate thread. I am in the process of being submitted for next spring's PAO board. However, after finding the 2020 list of boards on the NPC site, I notice there was a PAO board that met this/last month that my recruiter did not mention. Are the two PAO boards different? Or did I/my recruiter wet the bed?

My9iron

I know this isn't the right topic, but some of you may be able to answer and it wasn't worth making a completely separate thread. I am in the process of being submitted for next spring's PAO board. However, after finding the 2020 list of boards on the NPC site, I notice there was a PAO board that met this/last month that my recruiter did not mention. Are the two PAO boards different? Or did I/my recruiter wet the bed?
I am sure others will have better answers but for IWC there are two boards every year (March and September). However, they both work off the same quota number (so whatever isn’t selected at the first board is what’s left for the second). You have to have everything submitted a month ahead of the board convene date to big navy for review, which would mean you did your final interviews probably a couple months before the boards so that your OR has a month to review and then big Navy has their month to review. So perhaps your stuff wasn’t quite ready yet?

I am sure others will have better answers but for IWC there are two boards every year (March and September). However, they both work off the same quota number (so whatever isn’t selected at the first board is what’s left for the second). You have to have everything submitted a month ahead of the board convene date to big navy for review, which would mean you did your final interviews probably a couple months before the boards so that your OR has a month to review and then big Navy has their month to review. So perhaps your stuff wasn’t quite ready yet?
Appreciate the information. Good stuff. I did contact the recruiter in time but a majority was not complete by then. My only thought was that I did indeed contact them in time to submit it if we wanted to speed things up quickly enough. Who knows. Not the end of the world!

My9iron

Appreciate the information. Good stuff. I did contact the recruiter in time but a majority was not complete by then. My only thought was that I did indeed contact them in time to submit it if we wanted to speed things up quickly enough. Who knows. Not the end of the world!
Well for what it’s worth I started last October and we were on the ball with everything, getting things together pretty quickly, and I wrapped up my final interview in July and was able to put in for the Sept board. When I started I was hoping for last March but looking back I realize that was completely unrealistic. Things just took a while like meps slowing down due to COVID and then officer interviews only happening every so often, etc.

Well for what it’s worth I started last October and we were on the ball with everything, getting things together pretty quickly, and I wrapped up my final interview in July and was able to put in for the Sept board. When I started I was hoping for last March but looking back I realize that was completely unrealistic. Things just took a while like meps slowing down due to COVID and then officer interviews only happening every so often, etc.

From what I understand, IW interviews are much different than PAO. I can seek out and select people I want to interview with (with my recruiters approval), yet IW candidates do not get that leeway and their interviews are selected for them. Makes it a little easier on my end I guess. I see you're awaiting your results. Did you think you were a competitive candidate? I'm sure everyone does, but more curious as to how confident you felt. I've got a decent resume and such, but am still anxious for the board.

My9iron

From what I understand, IW interviews are much different than PAO. I can seek out and select people I want to interview with (with my recruiters approval), yet IW candidates do not get that leeway and their interviews are selected for them. Makes it a little easier on my end I guess. I see you're awaiting your results. Did you think you were a competitive candidate? I'm sure everyone does, but more curious as to how confident you felt. I've got a decent resume and such, but am still anxious for the board.
Yeah you are correct about that difference. Easier for you if you know officers, but I didn’t so I’m happy they assigned them. Plus that keeps it fair I suppose as well. It’s tough to say about how competitive I am. I felt really confident at one point but after reading the really low selection rates and seeing some qualifications of others, I really don’t know what to expect any more.

Sorry to be so long winded but here is the basic idea of what I have going for me:

Military Experience
None (this worries me)

Occupation
Professor at Arizona State University in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice. Courses that I teach include stats, research methods, and the masters degree capstone course where I instruct on theory and practice and grade thesis papers. I also teach various other criminological theory and policy courses but the ones mentioned are specifically related to research methodologies, data gathering, and clearly articulating findings.
Collateral duties:
  • Serve as Internship Director for the School
  • Serve on the University Hearing Board
  • Serve as Advisor for the National Criminal Justice Honors Society (Alpha Phi Sigma)
  • Honors faculty member for Barrett, The Honors College

Education
  • BA in Communication Studies
  • MA in Criminal Justice
  • MA in Global Security
  • MS in Forensic Psychology
  • PhD in Criminal Justice

LOR's
  • Current boss, Director of the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
  • Current colleague, Professor of Practice who is former Speaker pro Tempore of the Arizona House of Representatives
  • Intel Analyst for Scottsdale Police Department who I work with regularly at ASU
  • Deputy Chief for the Phoenix field office of the US Marshals
  • Former 04 (Nuke)
  • Current Biochemistry professor at Western Governors University

Officer Interviews
- OR told me they were all extremely good reviews, the best she has seen (who knows the legitimacy of this). I thoroughly enjoyed both interviews (one panel with 3 officers and another 1 on 1 interview) and felt that I connected very well with all of them (none of the good cop bad cop experiences I have read about). I have consistently highlighted both leadership and my analytical abilities that can be evidenced through my instructional work and published dissertation.

Other
  • A number of professional associations within the field of criminal justice and criminology
  • Member of Lambda Pi Eta (Communication Studies Honors Society) and Alpha Phi Sigma (as both a student and now faculty advisor)
  • A number of FEMA certifications
  • Volunteer at my church
  • History of leadership from a young age on, seen through Boy Scouts, Mayors Youth Advisory Commission, educational pursuit, and mentor roles at ASU.

So, I do feel I have a solid overall resume but I don’t know how the board will see it. I guess we’ll know soon enough ??‍♂️

My9iron

Wow. That's impressive. I contacted a recruiter a year ago for Intel and he politely let me know I wasn't qualified by saying things like "I think you would be better for..." and "maybe you should try this route first..." I was (evidently) annoyed, but looking back I am so happy he did. A friend of mine (I met after this convo w/ recruiter) was selected for Intel a few years ago and turns out he was prior Navy and had worked as an intel officer at the DIA for 15+ years. I would've been embarrassing myself.

Luckily I persisted (in some way) and decided to go PAO. Forgive me if I don't go in depth. I have 6+ years in government/legislative affairs, masters in communications, and currently serve as press secretary for a sitting member of congress. I thought I was pretty competitive, but with the selective nature of these boards who knows.
I would think you are very competitive with that kind of experience! PAO doesn’t seem like an alternative to Intel, it seems like the designator you’d excel at and best serve in!

The story about your buddy with 15+ years experience is what worries me. However, Intel does select the most applicants so that’s good. To me, my extensive research background and education fits well with Intel and my various roles at ASU speak to leadership and ability to work with people of all backgrounds, but it’s not what I think, it’s what they think!

I would think you are very competitive with that kind of experience! PAO doesn’t seem like an alternative to Intel, it seems like the designator you’d excel at and best serve in!

The story about your buddy with 15+ years experience is what worries me. However, Intel does select the most applicants so that’s good. To me, my extensive research background and education fits well with Intel and my various roles at ASU speak to leadership and ability to work with people of all backgrounds, but it’s not what I think, it’s what they think!
As you suggested, I think what you have going for you is experience and interviews. How many people do you know (outside of faculty) that have 3 masters and a phd? I don't know one person with that amount of education. Interviews are priceless. You've got a lot going for you. I hope you get the result you want. If not, get back up on your horse and try again next board!

My9iron

As you suggested, I think what you have going for you is experience and interviews. How many people do you know (outside of faculty) that have 3 masters and a phd? I don't know one person with that amount of education. Interviews are priceless. You've got a lot going for you. I hope you get the result you want. If not, get back up on your horse and try again next board!
I really appreciate the supportive words. Fortunately the tuition waiver once I started working at ASU along with my desire to keep learning led to two of the masters degrees!

I hope the same for you. I hope we both have a future of naval service ahead of us!

subreservist

Yes, they are different. The one this month is active duty. When you look at the schedule, you have to look for "DCO" in the title for reserve boards. PAO is a small community that typically only has one board per FY.

Yes, they are different. The one this month is active duty. When you look at the schedule, you have to look for "DCO" in the title for reserve boards. PAO is a small community that typically only has one board per FY.
Figured that had something to do with it. Thanks for the clarification.