• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2016 STA-21 Applicants

Pbeng

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and here are my stats.

RATE/RANK: ABH2
APPLYING FOR: SWO/CORE/INTEL
EVALS: MP>EP> #1 EP
COLLEGE: AA in General Studies from University of Maryland/University College
GPA: 3.2
HIGH SCHOOL: 2.7
LEADERSHIP: Crash and Salvage Assistant Leading Petty Officer/ Board member of American Red Cross Disaster Action Team/ Department DAPA/FY-14 Junior Petty Officer of the Year.
AWARDS: 2 NAM, 1 Floc, 4 LOA
TIS: 6 year, 4 months
ACT: Testing in February
SAT: Testing in January
WARFARE QUALS: AW/SW
PRT: All Excellent
LORs: Deputy Fire Chief Navy Region Europe/Africa, Other LOA’s pending.

r3coil

Happy new year everyone! Hope you all had a great 2014, and have a better 2015!
This will be my second time to apply. I'll be going for the pilot option once again. I sure hope they open up more pilot or NFO slots this year.
Hope all is well with everyone!

-AD2

r3coil

Oh yea, forgot to post my profile. Well here's what I got. This will be my second application.
RATE/RANK: AD2(AW)
APPLYING FOR: PILOT/CORE
EVALS: #1-MP, #2-MP, #3-EP, #4-EP
COLLEGE: EMBRY-RIDDLE 65 credits
GPA:3.26
AWARDS: LOA
TIS: 2 years 8 months
ASTB: 38, 5, 6, 6
ACT: 22 English, 21 Math (will definitely re-take this)
WARFARE QUALS: Air Warfare
PRT: Good, Excellent, Excellent
LORs: O-5 active duty EA-18G pilot

Last edited:

HDND

Dare Mighty Things
Just finished updating my information on the ST-21 website. Good luck everyone.

Pbeng

I could be wrong but if they haven't updated the information on the website then the target option might stay the same.

nicken

First time

RATE/RANK:BM3
APPLYING FOR: SWO/ED
EVALS: EP
High School GPA: 3.57
COLLEGE: Georgia Tech; Mechanical Engineering; 129 credits (Already completed Calc 1,2,3, with A and Physics 1,2 with A; 1 semester left to graduate but I want to take minor)
GPA:3.2
AWARDS: 1 NAM
TIS: 1 year 3 months
ACT: 22 English, 34 Math
WARFARE QUALS: SW
PRT: Good, Good, Good
LORs: My college counselor and waiting on one from my old CO

*I have passed FE (Fundamental Engineer) exam. I am not sure this would make my application more competitive.

Last edited:

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
First time

RATE/RANK:BM3
APPLYING FOR: SWO/ED
EVALS: EP
High School GPA: 3.57
COLLEGE: Georgia Tech; Mechanical Engineering; 129 credits (Already completed Calc 1,2,3, with A and Physics 1,2 with A; 1 semester left to graduate but I want to take minor)
GPA:3.2
AWARDS: 1 NAM
TIS: 1 year 3 months
ACT: 22 English, 34 Math
WARFARE QUALS: SW
PRT: Good, Good, Good
LORs: My college counselor and waiting on one from my old CO

*I have passed FE (Fundamental Engineer) exam. I am not sure this would make my application more competitive.

Wow....you have to be kidding....those are absolutely stellar stats. Good luck with your application. SWO/ED was closed last year, but I'd say you have a leg up. Anything you can include in your package to show your academic excellence will enhance the overall package. The fact that you've completed all math and physics requirements would give you a big advantage. Georgia Tech is an amazing school. It's the school I aspire to get accepted to. I'd like to hear more about why you didn't finish the degree....Good luck to you, and I hope they open up SWO/ED again. Tell me also HOW to get accepted into GT. How did you do it?

nicken

Wow....you have to be kidding....those are absolutely stellar stats. Good luck with your application. SWO/ED was closed last year, but I'd say you have a leg up. Anything you can include in your package to show your academic excellence will enhance the overall package. The fact that you've completed all math and physics requirements would give you a big advantage. Georgia Tech is an amazing school. It's the school I aspire to get accepted to. I'd like to hear more about why you didn't finish the degree....Good luck to you, and I hope they open up SWO/ED again. Tell me also HOW to get accepted into GT. How did you do it?

It wasn't that hard to get in when I got accepted GT in 2009. I had pretty much same score as above and I am a Georgia resident. I guess thats why. I couldn't finish my degree because I wasn't able to pay my last semester tuition.

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
Yeah, acceptance rates are now in the 30's for engineers which makes the program pretty competitive to get into. They show the stats here: http://www.admission.gatech.edu/transfer . Is the Navy going to pay your student loans?

I think your package would be very competitive being that you have proven yourself to be successful in an academic environment. I think the challenge will be now to prove to the STA-21 board your ability to lead and excel in a military environment. If you want a big leg up for this year you should get your OOD Underway letter. That SCREAMS "this guy is as good as my officers".

I hope they open up SWO/ED for you, and I wish you the best of luck with your package.
In the event they don't open it up; you could serve your time, get out and finish it, and come back in direct commission from an officer recruiter. Just food for thought. You have options.

nicken

Yeah, acceptance rates are now in the 30's for engineers which makes the program pretty competitive to get into. They show the stats here: http://www.admission.gatech.edu/transfer . Is the Navy going to pay your student loans?

I think your package would be very competitive being that you have proven yourself to be successful in an academic environment. I think the challenge will be now to prove to the STA-21 board your ability to lead and excel in a military environment. If you want a big leg up for this year you should get your OOD Underway letter. That SCREAMS "this guy is as good as my officers".

I hope they open up SWO/ED for you, and I wish you the best of luck with your package.
In the event they don't open it up; you could serve your time, get out and finish it, and come back in direct commission from an officer recruiter. Just food for thought. You have options.

What does OOD Underway Letter mean? you mean OOD qual?

brysonkgoforth

FY-16 CORE SELECT
OOD Underway is the Officer Of the Deck Underway. You have two OOD's on the ship: inport and underway. The inport qualification, while important, is significantly less meaningful than the underway qual. Being a BM3 I'm sure you've worked on the bridge with the OOD, right?

This is all dependent on your command. I was on two frigates, so I have had Captains who wanted me to get it on that platform. If you're on a large deck, I'm sorry, but you should try anyway!

Don't let ANYONE tell you that you can't do ANYTHING. Believe!

nicken

OOD Underway is the Officer Of the Deck Underway. You have two OOD's on the ship: inport and underway. The inport qualification, while important, is significantly less meaningful than the underway qual. Being a BM3 I'm sure you've worked on the bridge with the OOD, right?

This is all dependent on your command. I was on two frigates, so I have had Captains who wanted me to get it on that platform. If you're on a large deck, I'm sorry, but you should try anyway!

Don't let ANYONE tell you that you can't do ANYTHING. Believe!

Well, at least in my ship, you have to be a 1st class or above to be an OOD in port. For Underway OOD, you have to be an officer. I am trying to get other leadership quals before July; Deck POIC, Rig captain, Boatswain's mate of watch, LSE, scene leader, etc.

Last edited: