• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-20 active O-5 results

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I recognize a lot of names on there, including at least one that I remember really struggling during flight school, many many years ago, but with a great work ethic and great attitude (it's true- never give up!).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Message is on the street. I officially feel old as I have a lot of friends on this list.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/ALNAVS/ALN2019/ALN19042.txt

Edit: Apparently on this year's board, dudes get bumped to the top based on "Merit". I know of one guy who was at the bottom of the in-zone group (seniority wise) and he's now in the top 5% in terms of who gets promoted first.
We asked the question about what criteria were being used to define “merit.” Apparently they were addressed in community briefs to the board.

SlickAg

pilot
So if you’ve screened for command, make O-5, but aren’t a “merit” pick, are you off the (most) golden path?

kejo

pilot
A bunch of those *folks made command (at least on HSM side) but some didn't. So...dunno?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So if you’ve screened for command, make O-5, but aren’t a “merit” pick, are you off the (most) golden path?

I found that interesting too, as several HSC CO-selects aren’t on the ‘merit’ list.

I guess it’s the difference between the cool kids and the really cool kids.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I found that interesting too, as several HSC CO-selects aren’t on the ‘merit’ list.

I guess it’s the difference between the cool kids and the really cool kids.
It’s like each board has its own spin on the records or something . . .

SlickAg

pilot
No. It only affects your date of promotion.
For now.

But if you’re a reporting senior sending a message to the board, or a briefer, wouldn’t you try to throw in a mention about how he was meritoriously picked above his peers to pin on (and thus assume the myriad of responsibilities blah blah) before his own highly competitive and amazing peer group?

I understand why they did this; it’s a response to the “if I’m so awesome prove it, pay me earlier” complaint. My point is that it may have unintended consequences which won’t be seen until this group is up for the AMCSB. And if PERS 43 is going to brief the precept that the merit thing does NOT matter, why is it even a thing in the first place?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For now.

But if you’re a reporting senior sending a message to the board, or a briefer, wouldn’t you try to throw in a mention about how he was meritoriously picked above his peers to pin on (and thus assume the myriad of responsibilities blah blah) before his own highly competitive and amazing peer group?

I understand why they did this; it’s a response to the “if I’m so awesome prove it, pay me earlier” complaint. My point is that it may have unintended consequences which won’t be seen until this group is up for the AMCSB. And if PERS 43 is going to brief the precept that the merit thing does NOT matter, why is it even a thing in the first place?
It's there because people bitched that it didn't exist like two years ago, and it's a valid idea. I mean, I've had in the past, and continue to have, some serious beefs with the way we consider people for promotion. But this is a decent enough idea that I'm not going to complain about it. And believe me, given one particular name on that "merit" list who shall remain nameless, I could go on . . . I'm really not a fan. But life ain't perfect, and it's too short anyway, so fuck it. The idea still makes sense.

While I'm sure the potential for shenanigans exists, you're not supposed to comment on conduct outside the FITREP period in a writeup. And by the time said hypothetical golden child's next FITREP comes around, the RS should have no reason to comment on what they did two FITREPS prior. And the board isn't authorized to go digging into the message traffic to find out who did or didn't get promoted on "merit." So barring some kind of skulduggery, IMO, it shouldn't be a factor.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For now.

Not really how it works. By the time someone gets selected for this, in nearly every case, they've already had their high water FITREP and will have moved on. Next RS probably won't/shouldn't care. It's otherwise not in your record, per se, and isn't briefed to subsequent boards. Folks I know that got it on the O6 board were a 2nd command in grade, and the other was the Stockdale Award recipient. They probably fit the definition of merit.

SlickAg

pilot
Not really how it works. By the time someone gets selected for this, in nearly every case, they've already had their high water FITREP and will have moved on. Next RS probably won't/shouldn't care. It's otherwise not in your record, per se, and isn't briefed to subsequent boards. Folks I know that got it on the O6 board were a 2nd command in grade, and the other was the Stockdale Award recipient. They probably fit the definition of merit.
Sounds like some very worthy recipients.

My point is that these recipients were identified AFTER the ACSB and slate came out. I would be shocked if the DCAGs aren't comparing the *'s on the list next to their next slate of incoming PXOs.

I agree that it's a good deal. I also think it's something that CO's should be briefed on in order to increase the chances of making one of their O-4s competitive to get a *. How did the board decide which O-4 1310/1320s got it? Longest ticket punch? MSM instead of a NCM for an EOT? Because if a DFC resulting from an air to air kill doesn't meet the board's definition of merit, I'd be fascinated to know what does. And I think it should be well and universally known what it takes to get promoted, and paid, earlier than your peers. A level playing field, if you will. Instead of, heaven forbid, circumstances of timing and/or luck.

Sidenote for those who've read this far: looks like several folks made it on their second look this year. Is the fleet running out of Mini Bosses, Air Ops O's, and Strike O's?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like I said, those doing the community briefing (I.E. your CDREs) are the ones that state what the community values. Those CDREs should be discussing criteria with their community COs for mass dissemination. This is the first year of the program. It's going to take a bit for word to get properly passed. If you're curious, why don't you ask your leadership?