• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

future sailor inquiry

annavargas

Hello fellow Sailors,

I am new to this site and I thought I'd register because it seems that many STA21 participants/graduates blog here. I have been interested in the program before I even enlisted for the Navy, but I haven't had much insights for all the information I know are from either my recruiter or from my own research. I've been looking into getting in touch with those who's actually gone through the whole selection to commissioning process. I have so many questions to ask, and I would very much appreciate hearing your stories of your experiences.

Here are a couple of facts about me and some of my questions relating to certain facts:
1. I am currently 18-years-old.
What are the possibilities of me getting in the program with my young age? Does anyone know what's the youngest age the Board has accepted?
2. I recently graduated high school this year. I was awarded many honors, including Honor Roll (cumulative 3.8 GPA, SAT is 1780 ) and Outstanding Service for being a part of the student government (class president for four consecutive years) and many more.
Does this matter at all; would this be an advantage for me? Do the board take consideration of my past achievements?
3. I was accepted to UC Berkeley and I plan to go there if ever I make it in the program.
Anyone who were sent there? What were your experiences like? What major did you take up for your bachelor's degree? Was finishing in three years a challenge for you?
4. I leave for bootcamp on November 23rd. I will be stationed to a base by March.
Would there be enough time for me to prove myself and show my capabilities of being worthy to be selected before i meet the deadline?

Share your stories!
5. What is the hardest/most challenging thing you've experienced throughout the program?
6. What was the fun/the best/your favorite experience?
7. In your opinion, what does the Board look for the most in a candidate?
8. If you applied and were not able to make it in, how many more times did you have to apply until they finally took you in? Do you know the reason why they didn't take you the other times before?

9. Does anyone know the statistics to what percentage of applicants to the Board accept to the program? Is there a set number of candidates they take every year?

Thank you all for your time. Please give me some feedbacks! You don't have to answer every single one of my questions. I'll appreciate the effort and help :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
anna, welcome to the website. You will find many of the Naval Officers posting on this website that were prior enlisted, including myself. We all earned our commision through a variety of different programs, right now, as you mentioned, STA-21 is the current commissioning program that a majority of our hard charging enlisted sailors utilize to become an Officer. Others out there include OCS, Academy and of course NROTC. Each of them have specific milestones and requirements for entry.

What they ALL have in common: requiring that you do WELL in your current job/school/training pipeline. Goals are all well and good, but if you aren't doing well in your training pipeline or at the command you are at, then you won't succeed in the Navy and make your personal goals a reality. Couple thoughts for down the road:

- DO WELL IN SCHOOL! Strive for honor grad or top academic honors within whatever enlisted A school or training pipeline you enter.
- WORK HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE! Take the hard job and do it well and thoroughly. From cleaning spaces, to maintenance, or whatever is assigned to you by your Leading Petty Officers.
- LOOK SMART! Take pride in your uniform, your appearance. Your uniform should never look like you pulled it from the bottom of your closet.
- KNOW YOUR JOB! Qualify in your warfare area and and any quals that your rate has early, and ensure that seek higher quals always!
- BE ON TIME! Don't be the sailor that everyone knows is going to be late to work or watch. Arriving on time is 5 minutes early! Be the sailor that if you are ever late, everyone in the shop is wondering what happened to you.
- MOTIVATION! Be positive and motivated in all that you do, even if you are having the worst day ever. Your motivation and positive attitude will be noticed, and in many respects will work well to all future career and team work endeavors. The sailors (cough, Officers/Chiefs!) that always complain or are negative about the job/work are the ones that tear down and slow up a command's ability to execute its mission. Maybe a higher level discussion on leadership, but at your level, being motivated and positive will be noticed.

With each of those, the Chiefs and chain of command will recognize your hard work and efforts, and be more motivated to ensure that you get a strong Commanding Officer's endorsement for your commissioning program package. Remember, that only YOU care about your paperwork and deadlines. The command and your career counselor will assist, but in the end it is ultimately up to you to ensure you meet the requirements and have a well put together package.

Looks like you have a very good GPA, and are already off to a good start. I am not going to address your rationale for not going to college after high school, you have your own reasons. I too, over 19 years ago decided to forgo college and went straight into the Navy. Just know, that for all of us prior enlisted Naval Officers on this board, each of us had to work long and hard to get into a commissioning program. It isn't an easy path, and takes longer than your respective high school peers that will head off to college. I have two friends from high school that went to college right after high school, and are 4 years ahead of me as an officer (rank and career wise). Something to consider.

In the end, best of luck to you, welcome to the website. And it was refreshing to read a well thought out first post.

John

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
In the end, best of luck to you, welcome to the website. And it was refreshing to read a well thought out first post.

I can't really comment on the questions asked, but I will second what was mentioned above. So many of the people who are in college and attempting to become future leaders have posts that are significantly less coherent than what I've read here. This alone shows that you're intelligent enough to ask the right people the correct questions, and hopefully help you to put yourself on the proper track to reach your goals.

Welcome to the board, and best of luck to you!

etspike

Here are a couple of facts about me and some of my questions relating to certain facts:
1. I am currently 18-years-old.
What are the possibilities of me getting in the program with my young age? Does anyone know what's the youngest age the Board has accepted?
2. I recently graduated high school this year. I was awarded many honors, including Honor Roll (cumulative 3.8 GPA, SAT is 1780 ) and Outstanding Service for being a part of the student government (class president for four consecutive years) and many more.
Does this matter at all; would this be an advantage for me? Do the board take consideration of my past achievements?
3. I was accepted to UC Berkeley and I plan to go there if ever I make it in the program.
Anyone who were sent there? What were your experiences like? What major did you take up for your bachelor's degree? Was finishing in three years a challenge for you?
4. I leave for bootcamp on November 23rd. I will be stationed to a base by March.
Would there be enough time for me to prove myself and show my capabilities of being worthy to be selected before i meet the deadline?

Share your stories!
5. What is the hardest/most challenging thing you've experienced throughout the program?
6. What was the fun/the best/your favorite experience?
7. In your opinion, what does the Board look for the most in a candidate?
8. If you applied and were not able to make it in, how many more times did you have to apply until they finally took you in? Do you know the reason why they didn't take you the other times before?

9. Does anyone know the statistics to what percentage of applicants to the Board accept to the program? Is there a set number of candidates they take every year?

I'll add in, welcome as well. And I'll second, congrats on typing up a pretty good first post.
I'll take a stab at trying to answer your questions, hopefully I can be some help.

1) For actual acceptance, age is not a factor. That is to say, they won't look at a package and say someone is too young. Age could play a factor for your time in the Navy; you'll be junior, so you can get recommendations from high school teachers or coaches (as per the instructor), and extra-curricular activities will still be relevant. It might not be true, but sometimes being younger can mean you might get passed up vs. someone who is really close to the age cutoff (the logic being that you can reapply, they can't)

2) As I stated before, being junior in the Navy means they need something else to evaluate you on compared to people who have more Navy-related achievements. Several times it states in the instruction that it's ok to apply early in your career, but you need to include awards and documentation from high school.

3) Ok, college acceptance is kind of tricky. You can only put in one STA-21 package a fiscal year (which is the same as a normal year, but starts in a different month) and FY-11 is already in. So at the very minimum of time (and with a maximum of luck) making it next FY, you couldn't go to UC Berkeley until Feb/Mar/Apr of 2012. I know some schools allow a delayed admittance, but that's a fairly long time. More than likely you'll have to reapply (which if you made it before, it'll be a cakewalk) later on.

4) For your projected timetable, you might not be at a base by March. Hell, you might be at a ship even (perish the thought). It's going to depend on your rate, whether or not you have a "C" school, and how long it takes them to cut your initial set of orders (sometimes you are placed on hold after "A" school). To answer the actual question though, the biggest hurdle for applying that early is having evals on record (at least one). I've know a few sailors who wanted to apply in "A" school and they couldn't, based on the fact that the schoolhouse wouldn't evaluate them. I can vary, but usually you have to wait until you have at least 90 days at a command before you can get a real evaluation.

5) I think the hardest thing is getting personnel to sign things off. I swear transcripts, boards, even talking to the CO is no sweat compared to getting those guys to "certify copy" something. Also, special mention goes out to the CCC for putting out deadlines with about three weeks notice.

6) I actually really like doing the boards. I'm always nervous going in, but this is a panel of officers asking me why I want to do something I feel passionately about. Even when they move on to other subjects, I really enjoy whatever wisdom they impart or finding out what subjects I should know more about (i.e. An EA-6B commander suggested I read "Flight of the Intruder", I love the shit out of that book now, and I'm reading more by Steven Coonts).

7) It's going to be different for everyone. The easy answer is leadership potential, academic potential and motivation. Part of that is shown on your paper record, but they're looking to hear the responses that confirm what should be in your package already. A question that always comes up is, "Do you think you're an officer first, or a pilot?" Thinking about your answer might be something to do, even now.

8) I can't really answer this too well. I applied last year and didn't make it, so I've put in again this year. If I don't make it again, I'll keep right on trying until I earn my BA or get in. For me, I knew I wasn't going to make it last year, my package just wasn't competitive enough (evals, and not documenting warefare/degree). The experience was golden though, and I really did learn a lot. If I have to apply again next year, I'm sure I'll have learned more, and have an even better package.

9) There are fleet briefs that give numbers, but I don't have them at the moment. I know that roughly a few hundred make it every year and a ton are thrown out for incorrect technical details or missing pieces. As for the breakdowns of each designator, that is pretty varied. Some accept 70-100, others, only two or three.

Hope some of that helps and good luck! Boot camp isn't that hard, but it's a long, shitty, two months, so just do what you're told and look forward to moving on. The fleet is a pretty good place, and always has need for people who are willing to work hard and want to do well.

annavargas

- DO WELL IN SCHOOL! Strive for honor grad or top academic honors within whatever enlisted A school or training pipeline you enter.
- WORK HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE! Take the hard job and do it well and thoroughly. From cleaning spaces, to maintenance, or whatever is assigned to you by your Leading Petty Officers.
- LOOK SMART! Take pride in your uniform, your appearance. Your uniform should never look like you pulled it from the bottom of your closet.
- KNOW YOUR JOB! Qualify in your warfare area and and any quals that your rate has early, and ensure that seek higher quals always!
- BE ON TIME! Don't be the sailor that everyone knows is going to be late to work or watch. Arriving on time is 5 minutes early! Be the sailor that if you are ever late, everyone in the shop is wondering what happened to you.
- MOTIVATION! Be positive and motivated in all that you do, even if you are having the worst day ever. Your motivation and positive attitude will be noticed, and in many respects will work well to all future career and team work endeavors. The sailors (cough, Officers/Chiefs!) that always complain or are negative about the job/work are the ones that tear down and slow up a command's ability to execute its mission. Maybe a higher level discussion on leadership, but at your level, being motivated and positive will be noticed.

Thank you very much John for your advice. I will make sure I keep them in mind. I really wish to do well and get in the program as soon as I can.

annavargas

Thank you for your thorough answers etspike. I really appreciate your time and the effort that you put in your response. It has really helped me out. As far as question #3,
So at the very minimum of time (and with a maximum of luck) making it next FY, you couldn't go to UC Berkeley until Feb/Mar/Apr of 2012. I know some schools allow a delayed admittance, but that's a fairly long time. More than likely you'll have to reapply (which if you made it before, it'll be a cakewalk) later on.
i have talked to people from Berkeley and they have walked me through the deferral process. I was able to save my admission until I am ready to go back. And for #4,
It's going to depend on your rate, whether or not you have a "C" school, and how long it takes them to cut your initial set of orders (sometimes you are placed on hold after "A" school)...I can vary, but usually you have to wait until you have at least 90 days at a command before you can get a real evaluation.
my rate is Aviation Mechanic and I was told that my "A" school is for five weeks at Florida. Hopefully I won't be placed on hold after those five weeks just so I can be reevaluated before my package is due. Does it matter how many evaluation you received? Last question,
you'll be junior, so you can get recommendations from high school teachers or coaches (as per the instructor), and extra-curricular activities will still be relevant.
how many recommendations from high school teachers/coaches/extra-curricular advisors do the Board ask for?

Again, thank you! I wish you all the best in your career. With your great knowledge of the program and numerous experiences, I don't doubt that you'll be able to make it to the program soon.

annavargas

This alone shows that you're intelligent enough to ask the right people the correct questions, and hopefully help you to put yourself on the proper track to reach your goals.

Thank you eas7888. Your words are encouragement to me. I actually wish I found out about this site sooner; all the replies that I've received have been really helpful. Nevertheless, I feel very welcomed and I'm glad to be a part of the board. :]

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
It doesn't matter how many eval's you receive. It matters more on how well you do on the eval. You need to shoot for an EP. 90 days in the command might not get you an EP but work your butt off to try and get it. EP is an early promote so you know. I would recommend getting as many letters from whom you can now and have them post date the recommendation 6 months or so from the time you go to boot camp. Remember they have to sign the letter and have contact information on them as well. The reason I say get as many as you can is because you can filter out the letters that are not as strong or that really make your package pop! Good Luck!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wasn't a STA-21 guy, but I knew plenty of them in NROTC. About the age thing, don't worry about that. You will be older than 90% of the MIDN's you will be in NROTC with by the time you actually get started with the program. You don't go to boot camp, and then walk into STA-21 orders. Some folks in the nuke field got in pretty junior, by completing power school and then doing a tour as an instructor before going back to college. That being said, you will go through all your training commands, and a sea tour in all likelihood before anyone thinks about recommending you for the program. That should put you in at least the 22-23 yr old range, if not more depending on how quickly you can make it happen, and how your timing works out.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
MIDNJAC put it in good perspective. You get into STA-21 by applying, with your COC's recommendation. The stronger the application, the better your chances. So really, the application process begins right now and ends when you have submitted a package strong enough to be accepted. Perform in school, hit your first duty station running, and get qualified on everything you can. Do volunteer work, knock out whatever school you can, and stack your deck as much as possible. I had been on the ship for almost three years before I even applied, because I wanted a strong package. I ended up commissioning near my eight year mark, which was on par with or slightly earlier than the guys and girls I went through BOOST/NSI with.

It can probably be done faster, but don't get frustrated if it takes longer. In my experience, A and C school environments are there to train you for your job, not aid in STA-21. Your first duty station will likely be your first shot, and you'll be competing with other applicants. It might take a while until you're "1 of X," but stick with it.

Oh yeah, don't get in trouble. All of your hard work gets flushed down the toilet when you have an alcohol-related incident or oversleep the day you're getting underway. Good luck and don't give up.

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
floppy are you saying you got to nsi around your 8 yr mark, or finished school then? just lookin' for your clarification.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I found out I was selected at my four year mark, I comissioned around eight. That was before they changed the rule about STA time counting towards retirement, so my college years counted.