• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future of NFOs in the Marine Corps?

MasterBates

SOLUTION:

Interservice Xfr them to the E-2D as the much vaunted "Fourth Operator" and make the E-2D single piloted. More traps for me, they all get jobs.

EVERYBODY WINS! :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not really a question from the OP, but I know from my time in the Marine Corps, and especially in my short time here in the pipeline at NASP that nobody really wants to talk about what happens to the current SNFOs who would be right around midcareer when they stop producing new ones and start axing the ones we have. It's not like they can redes them for ground or make them pilots. They'll all be majors. Soon, it'll be a tough time to be a guy who wants to be a Marine NFO, but nobody wants to acknowledge that, especially since there are so many other priorities right now.

There will jobs for them, it just remains to be seen if they are smart about it. My guess is they could switch to UAV guys, air control, intel, and aviation maintenance among others.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Well, it looks like i have been mis-informed, sorry about the bad gouge to anybody stupid enough to listen!

Crowbar

None
Not really a question from the OP, but I know from my time in the Marine Corps, and especially in my short time here in the pipeline at NASP that nobody really wants to talk about what happens to the current SNFOs who would be right around midcareer when they stop producing new ones and start axing the ones we have. It's not like they can redes them for ground or make them pilots. They'll all be majors. Soon, it'll be a tough time to be a guy who wants to be a Marine NFO, but nobody wants to acknowledge that, especially since there are so many other priorities right now.

Maybe nobody at MATSG-21 is talking about these things, but everybody who it will affect, including HQMC, is talking about it. The future of NFOs is a regular topic and is not taboo. There are plans already in place to increase the number of NFO to pilot transitions and find new jobs for NFOs. What exactly that will entail, we don't know yet, but it's not like we're going to walk into the process ten years from now having put no thought into it.

NapalmRat

Marine Prowler vs. Hornet

Anyone have any thoughts on the differences in the RAGs as far as what the Marines go through? I'm on the fence about my selection and am looking for something to push me one way or the other between the two.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Don't base your decision on the RAG syllabus. Base it on the mission and what you think you'll like.

Would you rather be in a fast pointy nosed bomb dropper where you really aren't needed to drop the bomb or in an aircraft that 100% cannot do the mission without the NFO... hell, you can't even solo a Prowler as a pilot.

Both missions are important (and I don't know if the Hornet can do without the WSO... just a jab at the Hornet guys).

But wheb it comes down to it, pick the mission and the people... not the FRS.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Don't base your decision on the RAG syllabus. Base it on the mission and what you think you'll like.

Would you rather be in a fast pointy nosed bomb dropper where you really aren't needed to drop the bomb or in an aircraft that 100% cannot do the mission without the NFO... hell, you can't even solo a Prowler as a pilot.

This is an incredibly loaded question. In the USMC perspective especially, where the F/A-18D is very well integrated as a FAC(A) platform in the MAGTF.

More to the point though... I'm not sure why it matters if the aircraft 100% couldn't accomplish the mission with or without you.

Your sense of job satisfaction comes in what you actually do. If you can talk a guy onto a target, buddy lase in LGBs, derive coordinates for a JDAM, or provide the critical piece of ISR... who cares if a single seater could have "theoretically" done it by himself?? If you're the guy who actually does it, you're the man.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I was joking about the Hornet not "needing" the WSO. I know about FAC(A)... at least that you do need both dudes to make it work.

But to answer the serious answer to the question was the last sentence. Pick the mission and the people. If the Hornet/Super Hornet mission appeals to him, then he should go Hornets. If he wants to be an EW guy (like I did) go Prowlers.

My point was not to pick your platform based on what life in the FRS will be like. I hated some of the RAG BS in VAQ-129. But flying Prowlers in OEF made up for it... especially when I got personal thanks from dudes on the ground we'd suported. I like the mission. And that's that.

Like I said.. I was joking about the WSO thing.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Do you have the aptitude/grades to succeed in the Strike-Fighter syllabus?
2. Did you enjoy re-attacks?
3. Have you spoken to your PA or any of the Prowler or Hornet guys at the squadron?

-ea6bflyr ;)

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
1. Do you have the aptitude/grades to succeed in the Strike-Fighter syllabus?
2. Did you enjoy re-attacks?
3. Have you spoken to your PA or any of the Prowler or Hornet guys at the squadron?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Respectfully, I wouldn't consider enjoying re-attacks as a go/no go for putting hornets down as your first choice. The vast majority of everything we do isn't even hinted upon in FS. TurnandBurn I'm sure will argue (he always does) but re-attacks, displacement turns and all that are really good for rendezous on the tanker/lead....not a whole lot else. In fact, unless things have changed drastically in the past four years, even the S/F syllabus has limited direct value to you in the rag IMO. Conversions, unknowns, GCI intercepts, pulse only intercepts aren't really a player. Know how to heat a guy up or cool him off and your good for the rag. (I guess that's a conversion but not the crazy stuff you kill yourself to do in flight school) Learning basic radar mech and deciding who should shoot who as well as how to adhere to a A/A timeline were probably the big things I took to the rag with me.

Back to the point, I completely agree with ea6bflyr's last point to talk to people from both and ask as many questions as possible. I would also offer to limit your flying/mission questions and consider all the other stuff that many students don't think to ask such as quality of life questions, follow on job opportunities, squadron life, etc. After all, you will spend the vast majority of the time in your squadron on the ground studying, standing duty, doing your ground job, or drinking with your buds.

Either way, it's not a bad problem to have. Even if you don't get what you want, you'll still be an essential part of a badass team.