• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future of NFOs in the Marine Corps?

rohanc

No update as of yet. I am waiting to be rescheduled for the rest of my physical. I'll wait until then to ask the doctors more about the standards and why exactly I was NPQ. I'll let everyone know when I found out what the deal is.

Nightfox

Do Marine NFO's ever fly alone after being winged.

OK, I've actually got a few questions. Would really appreciate the help.

First, I was told that NFO's must fly ever 21 days after being winged. Does that mean that they get to fly alone or at least actually control the plane?

Secondly, can Marine NFO's ever be assigned to helicopters or transport planes? Are they always assigned to tactical jets of some kind?

Thirdly, how much harder is it to become a pilot versus an NFO?

Is there much comraderie between pilots and NFO's?

Thanks a lot.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NFOs do not ever officially manipulate the flight controls except for a few hops in training.
They are not qualified to fly the aircraft solo. They are not pilots. Not sure about the F-18D, but all other NFO seats don't have flight controls installed.

There is a great deal of camaraderie between NFOs and pilots. NFOs tend to show a lot of compassion to their lesser brother airman including them in all the reinder deer games.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm new at this NFO thing, Wink . . . are the reindeer deer assigned to the department of redundancy department? :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm new at this NFO thing, Wink . . . are the reindeer deer assigned to the department of redundancy department? :D
No, No, No. There is no officially issued reindeer for said games. The NFOs always cough up the coin to secure reindeer for games because the pilots are such tight asses. They think they are too good to venture into the part of town where reindeer are available for a price and they would not contribute a dime to the kitty to secure one anyway. Sorry, but it is an awesome responsibility you have now, unless you chose to hide behind the single anchor.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
From what I understand the only option for Marine NFOs right now is the 18. Maybe Prowlers, but those are fading fast. I talked to my OSO and they are still a platform option right now but he said that it wouldn't be be the time that I was in a position to choose (2.5ish yrs)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are not qualified to fly the aircraft solo. They are not pilots. Not sure about the F-18D, but all other NFO seats don't have flight controls installed.

Talking to my F/A-18D WSO buddies they said that some still had a stick and some didn't. Most said it was just a pain and got in their way when it was there.

From what I understand the only option for Marine NFOs right now is the 18. Maybe Prowlers, but those are fading fast. I talked to my OSO and they are still a platform option right now but he said that it wouldn't be be the time that I was in a position to choose (2.5ish yrs)

Your OSO is wrong, the Marines will be flying the Prowler long after the Navy gets done with them, the latest I had heard was 2017.

RTC

I suppose an NFO hopeful could figure on a 50/50 chance of prowler to f-18 placement givin there are no variables besides actual seats.

I think there are currently 4 prowler squadrons
And 5 f-18 B/D squadrons

The prowler squadrons have 5 planes. I’m not sure about the B/D, but the A/C have 12 planes

4 squadrons x 5 plane x 3 NFO's
5 squadrons x 12 planes x 1 NFO

HueyCobra8151

pilot

If you have to start a post with "From what I understand" and later say "I talked to my OSO," maybe you should just let someone who is more knowledgeable answer.

There are more than a few active duty Naval Flight Officers who participate regularly on this board who can answer definitively.

This will help you avoid being flat out wrong.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None

Marine SNFO here, four weeks from selection. Just a little background for the gouge I'm about to spout out. The Marines are sending SNFO's to F/A-18D and Prowler at slightly less than 50/50 right now, more Prowler slots than Hornets. That could change next month, and then change again the month after that, no real system to figure out your chances. As far as the Prowler, the Navy's goal is to get rid of them by 2012, not likely to happen, but hey... The Marine Corps is currently looking at turning VMAQ-4 into the new RAG before the Navy shuts down the RAG in 2012, so we'll have them for at least several years after that. From talking with WSO's and ECMO's here, no stick time, and the D has some controls, but like others said, it mostly just gets in the way

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Not really a question from the OP, but I know from my time in the Marine Corps, and especially in my short time here in the pipeline at NASP that nobody really wants to talk about what happens to the current SNFOs who would be right around midcareer when they stop producing new ones and start axing the ones we have. It's not like they can redes them for ground or make them pilots. They'll all be majors. Soon, it'll be a tough time to be a guy who wants to be a Marine NFO, but nobody wants to acknowledge that, especially since there are so many other priorities right now.