• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funeral Protesters to pay $11 mil

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
yeah...I saw that 20/20 bit too...... the old lady is really scary looking.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I am willing to bet the judgment will be reversed based upon the first amendment. Like it or not, everybody enjoys the protections that it affords.

My take on the ruling wasn't that they can't say what they want, but they have to be held responsible for what the effect their speech has. As said earlier, wouldn't this fall under the notion of libel and/or slander?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
My take on the ruling wasn't that they can't say what they want, but they have to be held responsible for what the effect their speech has. As said earlier, wouldn't this fall under the notion of libel and/or slander?
The 1st Amendment is what their arguement was based upon. You cannot desecrate someone's giving their life for their country during a sacred ceremony for their family. The intent of the 1st Amendment is being skewed by these cultist clowns....they are not a church....they are not Baptist.....I am Baptist and can tell you that Christianity does not condone what they are actively doing. I think OJ needs to make a plea deal to save his a$$ by taking out these idiots....I could see that as fair....maybe.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
This case was not about the first amendment. Since it is a civil case, it doesn't involve freedom of speech rights. It about these idiots being held accountable for the effects of their 'free speech.' I read in one article that Phelps posted a several page long letter/note on his website criticizing the parents of the fallen soldier for their divorce and how they raised their son. These nuts went pretty far this time, actually making slanderous remarks in a public forum, and I'm glad to see they are finally being held accountable for their actions.

Remember, you can say anything you want in our wonderful country. But, if someone can prove harm to themselves caused by your comments you can be held responsible.

In another note, I hope Phelps and his clan have to live out of cardboard boxes once everything is confiscated. Further poetic justice would involve confiscating the cardboard for its scrap value at a recycler to pay more of the indebtedness.

etsgraham

I'm confused as to how these guys get the "right" to assembly and protest. I understand that it is technically a freedom, but in a lot of districts/localities in the country (like where I'm from) require these groups to get protesting licenses. They have to explain the whys and wherefores of their little gathering and stay within those bounds or face arrest. Do most other states simply not have this, or since they are a "church" are they exempt?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I'm going to attempt to put my degree to work here.

There is some Supreme Court history that backs up this ruling. You might remember it as giving us the 'Fighting Words' test. In Chaplinksy v. New Hampshire ('42), a case about Jehovah's Witness's who were calling police names and 'God damned racketeers' and 'fascists'. The ruling came down stating that face-to-face epithets, 'fighting words', were outside the realm of the protection of the First Amendment - words that 'by their very utterance inflict injury' and which 'are no essential part of any exposition of ideas'.

Its nice when you see these people get what they deserve AND it's backed up Constitutionally!

red_ryder

None
Thank goodness, I was really afraid they would go around getting away with this garbage, in the name of free speech. It's nice to know that sometimes justice gets carried out.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Their OFFICIAL answer to the question "why do you picket soldier's funerals? they died for your rights?

Answer according to WBC:

There are two problems with this question. First, it assumes that we need some cheap, tawdry soldier to protect us from anything. Get this straight -- God put us here to preach to you, and such devices as are needed will be provided by His hand. Second, it carries in its teeth such hypocrisy that it leaves any intelligent person speechless. You want to tout these so-called freedoms these spoiled brats are supposedly fighting to protect, but then you want to imprison, kill, and/or throw out of the country the only people who are exercising those rights with regularity and without compromise. What kind of hypocrite are you! You cry crocodile tears about how we are supposedly dishonoring their memories, when it is YOU who are dishonoring their memories by not welcoming us to preach outside these flag worshiping, America loving, war rallies!

Quoted Directly from godhatesamerica.com

--- Ya know how people say that the one thing you don't want to be in prison is a child molestor, because ever criminals think thats sick and perturbed and you'll end up dead or dying? Its only a guess, but I would imagine that members of this "church" wouldn't survive the first trip to the yard if they got real jail time.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To wit:
Religious Zealot said:
Get this straight -- God put us here to preach to you, and such devices as are needed will be provided by His hand.
Matthew 4:7 said:
Jesus said to him, Again, it is written, “You shall not test the Lord your God.”
Religious Zealot said:
You want to tout these so-called freedoms these spoiled brats are supposedly fighting to protect, but then you want to imprison, kill, and/or throw out of the country the only people who are exercising those rights with regularity and without compromise.

G.K. Chesterton said:
To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Religious Zealot
Get this straight -- God put us here to preach to you, and such devices as are needed will be provided by His hand.
How bout the hand Bitch slap her blasphemous scraggly-haired pumpkin-head.

Cleonard19

Contributor
What I would give to watch a live feed from the pearly gates the day these blasphemers try and enter through the gates of St. Peter.... and theres a marine there standing midwatch :p

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who was it that said, a zealot is someone who does what God would if only He knew the facts of the case?

I dig that Chesterson quote.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who was it that said, a zealot is someone who does what God would if only He knew the facts of the case?

I dig that Chesterson quote.
He's got a bunch of good ones:
G.K. Chesterton said:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog.

The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

And my personal favorite . . .
Man is an exception, whatever else he is. If he is not the image of God, then he is a disease of the dust. If it is not true that a divine being fell, then we can only say that one of the animals went entirely off its head . . . Man is always something worse or something better than an animal; and a mere argument from animal perfection never touches him at all. Thus, in sex no animal is either chivalrous or obscene. And thus no animal ever invented anything so bad as drunkenness - or so good as drink.
</threadjack>