• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ft Hood Shootin, again!!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Just further reinforces the absurdity of military personnel not being allowed to carry on base. Talk about soft target....

No joke. So far, I've trusted with an $86 million plane with at least 11 lives on it (all armed), a security clearance, and now i'm teaching people to fly...but somehow i can't be trusted to carry a firearm, which i HAVE been trained to use (expert even!), in CONUS.

And now I'd like to cue to nay sayers who'll say, "junior enlisted guys are too immature to be armed in the US," or "then you'd get mistaken for a bad guy and get shot by security forces when they respond," or "you'll put your eye out." You know what, I'll take those risks if it means i have a more effective weapon that a fucking stapler when some prick pulls a shit move like this. I'd like a fighting chance please?

I didn't sign up to be an unarmed target. If I wanted to do that, I'd have joined the Peace Corps.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No joke. So far, I've trusted with an $86 million plane with at least 11 lives on it (all armed), a security clearance, and now i'm teaching people to fly...but somehow i can't be trusted to carry a firearm, which i HAVE been trained to use (expert even!), in CONUS.

And now I'd like to cue to nay sayers who'll say, "junior enlisted guys are too immature to be armed in the US," or "then you'd get mistaken for a bad guy and get shot by security forces when they respond," or "you'll put your eye out." You know what, I'll take those risks if it means i have a more effective weapon that a fucking stapler when some prick pulls a shit move like this. I'd like a fighting chance please?

I didn't sign up to be an unarmed target. If I wanted to do that, I'd have joined the Peace Corps.
Agreed. That said, proper training costs money, and I'd argue the standard Navy course of fire is not really sufficient for that scenario. I do know a qualified EA-6B mission commander who killed the range ceiling and got put on the stupid study pistol qual program prior to deployment. And I know of a CAG who allegedly killed a ready room chair after trying to thumb the hammer down on an M11, instead of using the damned decocking lever for what it was designed for. I'm amazed at how few people in the military can actually be trusted to be responsible with personal weapons. I just wish we'd "fix the glitch" with proper training instead of going full Barney Fife. Marines, feel free to point and laugh; you've got us here, I'm afraid.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. That said, proper training costs money, and I'd argue the standard Navy course of fire is not really sufficient for that scenario. I do know a qualified EA-6B mission commander who killed the range ceiling and got put on the stupid study pistol qual program prior to deployment. And I know of a CAG who allegedly killed a ready room chair after trying to thumb the hammer down on an M11, instead of using the damned decocking lever for what it was designed for. I'm amazed at how few people in the military can actually be trusted to be responsible with personal weapons. Marines, feel free to point and laugh; you've got us here, I'm afraid.

True, there are boneheads who wouldn't be especially good at carrying. True, training is expensive. I'm not saying we should arm guys, but leave the option open to guys who are willing to take the responsibility (not even saying I would, but I'm pretty fly with my pistol). Hell, make them qualify every year for the "privilege" at their own expense. That training would be a damn sight more useful than another stupid eLearning course...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is pretty amusing how the Navy treats weapons in general. Other than being inventoried, they generally aren't concerned about it's own crew-served/side arms. But the amount of paperwork just to move one can of ammo "correctly" (according to the Navy) is absurd.

Yesterday I was walking into the building where I work. As I'm approaching the door, there's 4 or 5 sailors walking out. The first one had 2 GAU-21 (or -16s) over his shoulders, the next guy had a GAU-21 in his arm, the next guy had a GAU-17 (sans grip/can/etc) in his arms. No biggie, just out for a stroll.