• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FRS's and Possible Duty Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

pilot
EODDave said:
You can scratch VF 101 off of the Oceana Rags flow. It only VFA-106 now. The E/F side of 106 took VF-101's place. The good deal about the E/F side is that most of the IP / IWSO's are 14 retreads. Talk about a great atmosphere to train guys! Some of my buddies on the C / Junior Varsity side of the house cant stand it.

You ever met a Tomcat -> Rhino pilot that wasn't bitter about something? Guess they didn't realize they were no longer gonna be going supersonic or flying BFM. I'm ready for the hate. . . . . .

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Rainman said:
You ever met a Tomcat -> Rhino pilot that wasn't bitter about something? Guess they didn't realize they were no longer gonna be going supersonic or flying BFM. I'm ready for the hate. . . . . .

Is this a joke?

While there has been a concerted effort by the last generation of Tomcat guys (led by RADM Gilchrist's now-infamous article/fabrication) to knock the Rhino... this has very little basis in fact. I regularly talk to former F-14 pilots and ask them what they think the pros/cons are. The occasional guy says "Yeah, the Tomcat was sooo fast... sooo fast... uhm... I miss the Tomcat... uhh.. but the Rhino is nice too... yeahh".

90% laugh their asses off at the question and say it isn't even a comparison. EODDave can back me up on this-- we had a Cat 4 in our class who spent his career in Tomcats and readily admitted the Super Hornet would bend the F-14 over its knee and spank it in BFM.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Sooo...guys don't go supersonic in the Hornet? For the hornet guys with some hours in type...how often do you actually go supersonic? When is it even practical...just curious? I guess I will find out shortly enough...

Rainman

pilot
Are you kidding me? An F-18F with a fair fuel load and no ordnance will get spanked hard by an F-18C with -402s. This is not debateable. It is fact. I've seen the "airshows" where the Rhinos go 10 miles behind the ship at 20k and try to go supersonic and miss. Pretty ridiculous.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rainman said:
Are you kidding me? An F-18F with a fair fuel load and no ordnance will get spanked hard by an F-18C with -402s. This is not debateable. It is fact. I've seen the "airshows" where the Rhinos go 10 miles behind the ship at 20k and try to go supersonic and miss. Pretty ridiculous.
Here we go again. :eek:

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dawgfan said:
Sounds like they're addicted to flight school! 2 years for NFO wings, a year in the RAG, two more years for pilot wings, another year at 129, fleet tour, then another 6 months or so back at the RAG transitioning to the G. That's living the good life.

There is a downside though. All retreads end up being two steps behind because their contemporaries get a meaningful tour while they're "living the good life" (meaning competitive FITREP), then they show up as snior JO or junior LCDR, but a "nugget" at the ramp. Unless they are Cool Hand Luke, they can have some trouble in the tank against their peers as a result. But, if they have to be at the controls regardless of other unintended results, good on them!

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Rainman said:
Are you kidding me? An F-18F with a fair fuel load and no ordnance will get spanked hard by an F-18C with -402s. This is not debateable.

What excellent logic!! Gee, an F-14 pilot SHOULD be angry about going to F/A-18Fs because F/A-18Cs (a totally unrelated platform, unmentioned in your original post, but nevermind... let's just switch topics for no reason whatsoever) can 'spank' a Rhino...

Hey, let's take this ridiculous logic a step further... an F-4 pilot SHOULD have been angry about transitioning to F-16s because certain posters here have seen Vipers been spanked hard by A-4s... lmao

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyinSpy said:
Don't forget trusty rusty VAQ-209 at Andrews AFB...

That changes the equation if you include reserve folks who are all over the place.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Hey, let's take this ridiculous logic a step further... an F-4 pilot SHOULD have been angry about transitioning to F-16s because certain posters here have seen Vipers been spanked hard by A-4s... lmao
A4s "spanking" F-16's??!!

"LMAO" ??? In your dreams, right ?? Boy, what a joke, yes ??? Some posters on this website are so full of it, aren't they ?? ..... I hear "certain posters here" even claim to have DONE IT !!!

LMAO, too .....

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
heyjoe said:
That changes the equation if you include reserve folks who are all over the place.

True, but the -209 comment was in response to the statement that "all Prowler squadrons except -136 are at Whidbey." Wasn't meant to generalize.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyinSpy said:
True, but the -209 comment was in response to the statement that "all Prowler squadrons except -136 are at Whidbey." Wasn't meant to generalize.

Fair enough...just wanted to stay true to original question, which was FRS and possible duty stations. I suppose Reserves count as a possible duty station, but not out of flight school and only if you transition to reserves or go TAR.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
EODDave said:
... Some of my buddies on the C / Junior Varsity side of the house cant stand it.
jarhead said:
F/A-18C is JV? LOL, shut up and give me some gas! and fix those canted pylons, maybe then you can outperform me

:)

S/F!
EODDave said:
Whats up with all the JV guys and their "hatin" posts?
maybe when you have more time in the fleet than you do in the training command you can call me & my beloved F/A-18C junior varsity :)

it's funny, and sad, that Boeing & NAVAIR took the slowest 4th Gen fighter in the world and made it slower. great avionics though, and it's new, a part me wishes the Corps would have bought it as a stop-gap until the even slower & shorter legged F-35B comes online

S/F

Status
Not open for further replies.