• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

From the Earth to the Moon

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I nabbed these DVDs from our family's stash over the Christmas break. Wow. Really well written, and each episode moved had it's own tone and storytelling. The cast is full of folks that have dominated TV and Movies to this day. I wish HBO could still do stuff this compelling. The Pacific felt lost and unorganized.

Also got chills a few times now that I've embarked on this career. Of everything, Al Bean's leaving of Clifton Williams's wings of gold on the moon. Just wow. Recommend folks dust off or Netflix them if possible.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Damn you. . .I was happy with having packed away all of my DVDs in anticipation of moving soon. Even sent them back to my mother's to live in the basement for a few months. Now that you've mentioned this, I'm going to have to drive three hours, dig through the boxes, and find this box set. Grr, ought to be worth it though, I loved this mini-series.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I wish HBO could still do stuff this compelling.

Band of Brothers, Sopranos, and Entourage have all been great series by HBO. Now the new one Boardwalk Empire is right in line with those as being a great series. IMO.

I do agree with you that The Pacific was lacking in so many ways.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Band of Brothers, Sopranos, and Entourage have all been great series by HBO. Now the new one Boardwalk Empire is right in line with those as being a great series. IMO.

I do agree with you that The Pacific was lacking in so many ways.

I was referring to Miniseries, and totally agree that Band of Brothers is some of the most compelling things ever on TV. John Adams, Generation Kill, and The Pacific I think got progressively worse. FWIW, the former head of original programing for HBO, the guy who helped start The Sopranos and Band of Brothers is now at Starz. Spartacus was pretty epic and I expect their other new things to also be pretty good.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I was referring to Miniseries, and totally agree that Band of Brothers is some of the most compelling things ever on TV. John Adams, Generation Kill, and The Pacific I think got progressively worse. FWIW, the former head of original programing for HBO, the guy who helped start The Sopranos and Band of Brothers is now at Starz. Spartacus was pretty epic and I expect their other new things to also be pretty good.

Gotcha... Well after that statement I think I would have to agree with you. John Adams wasn't terrible and I actually found it pretty informative but yes they became progressively worse after Band of Brothers. I have never seen Spartacus. So it is pretty good? I will have to look into it then. I actually haven't seen From the Earth to the Moon so I will have to check that one out also. Any other recommendations?

Lawman

None
Gotcha... Well after that statement I think I would have to agree with you. John Adams wasn't terrible and I actually found it pretty informative but yes they became progressively worse after Band of Brothers. I have never seen Spartacus. So it is pretty good? I will have to look into it then. I actually haven't seen From the Earth to the Moon so I will have to check that one out also. Any other recommendations?

I thought Rome was excellent. It was mostly the strength of the Actors and their characters they played rather than any kind or relation to specific historic events. Well... and there is a lot of nudity and blood. Definitely not something to watch with your kids. Spartacus is about the same kinda feel but with a bit of that 300 way of filming fight scenes with all the blood and flash of it and that fake CG pressurized blood spray in the fights in the Arena.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Spartacus is about the same kinda feel but with a bit of that 300 way of filming fight scenes with all the blood and flash of it and that fake CG pressurized blood spray in the fights in the Arena.

And Lucy Lawless doing softcore lesbian scenes... Just saying...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I thought Rome was excellent. It was mostly the strength of the Actors and their characters they played rather than any kind or relation to specific historic events. Well... and there is a lot of nudity and blood. Definitely not something to watch with your kids. Spartacus is about the same kinda feel but with a bit of that 300 way of filming fight scenes with all the blood and flash of it and that fake CG pressurized blood spray in the fights in the Arena.

That does sound good. I liked Rome so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
The Pacific felt lost and unorganized.
The Pacific took a different perspective than Band of Brothers, in that it didn't follow the same cast. I think it's representitive of the situation, and really fitting. Sidenote; I really liked Ken Burns' "The War," and did some of the interview/post-production work for the vignettes the film used. Pretty cool experience.