• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Freaked out about a plane crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
I just finished my IFT training like 3 weeks ago, and the exact plane I took ALL my training in and took my final check ride in just crashed and killed a guy. I know I will have to deal with this again at some point in my career, but its really freaking me out right now. I wouldnt be as freaked out if it had been any other plane, but I have had every hour of my training in it. Im rambling now. Have any of you flyers out there had experience dealing with this during your career?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I think that is a natural/normal reaction. The plane I did FIP in crashed with an Instructor and Student in it while I was training in it (C-152). Fortunately the quick thinking of the instructor allowed him to literally drop it into someone's backyard with only minor injuries to himself and none to the student. We lost a Marine while I was in MATSG that was doing IFS and had an engine malfunction in the landing pattern. I'm afraid it's something you're going to see a lot of with a career as an aviator. The best you can do is learn your a/c inside out (not only the Emergency Procedures, but the systems as well...it will allow you to recognize/diagnose a problem and understand what is happening to the a/c so as to determine the best course of action)and be safe. Know your limits (although there will be times when it's necessary to push them). I don't know. I guess it's something you just have to learn to accept.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lets see...At last count I was up to seven dead buds and shipmates (including a prior navy guy that was piloting a plane flown into the World Trade Center) and about eight aircraft crashed. During primary the squadron flew me back home for the funeral of buds killed in a mid air. Like a fool I was back in the cockpit within the week. I promptly got a "down" (still call them that?), failed a training hop. When the OPS O asked what happened I told him about the crash and just getting back from home. He said I deserved the down for poor head work by flying too soon, not necessarily my airborne performance. It happens too frequently in this business. Hearing about a buddy buying the farm isn't fun. Crashing a plane in the squadron sucks even if everyone lives. I recruited a guy into the Navy and we stayed friends. Within two years he was killed in a crash, on his first wedding anniversery! For me, I always had strong faith in my equipment, training, and the pilots (old NFO). I always figured that no matter what happened I was up to the task and it would leave me with just another great story to tell my grand kids about in my old age. The risks you accept in this business is why you earn the respect of people that would rather you did this job so they can work 9-5 and be safely home with the family every night. In the end it is quite worth it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I've known a few people who have crashed and not lived but none were really buddies or close friends. Back on 12 March of this year, I crashed (Class A mishap for the aviators) and was lucky to walk away. The aircraft was stricken due to the damage caused by the fire. First of all, I thank God none of my crew were killed. I would have turned in my wings if that had occured. However, the feeling of standing on the side of the runway and watching your aircraft burn is not a good one. Everything I worked for seemed to go up in flames next to runway 23 at MCAS Cherry Point. I've of course gone through the mishap board, JAG, FNAEB process and everything is all good but the feeling that I lost that one (especially in this day and age) from a professional standpoint is a knife in my gut. I was the IP and the student did something totally unexpected off a touch and go, basically cross controlled the aircrat on the rotation causing a severe and instaneous asymmetric wing stall. I was in a good defensive position but failed to take the controls in time to save the aircraft. From heading safely down the runway to departing it perpindicular to my heading took 1.2 seconds. Again, regardless of the eventual outcome, I'm very hard on myself. My main goal now is to prevent this sort of mishap from ever occuring again within my community. We have placed new procedures in our training manuals and instructor syllabus that will hopefully prevent this sort of accident again.

The biggest thing for you is to obviously continue flying. Time behind the stick is good medication. I don't know how many nighmare's I've had since the accident, waking up in a cold sweat, replaying the violent spin off the runway in my head. Getting back into the cockpit and getting flight was the remedy to get that image and experience from reocurring. Good luck and fly safe.

Future Herc Driver

Thanks guys. You always see stuff on TV about plane crashes, but this one really hit home. A fellow LT I work with flew the exact plane last Sunday, and like I said before, all of the hours I have as a "pilot" were in that plane. I love flying and have no intentions of quitting. Dont mean to make anyone feel old, but I remember being 5 and sitting in the theater at Vandenberg AFB with my dad and watching Top Gun. From that point out my goal was flying. Now I start my "real" pilot training next tuesday at P'Cola. I know my situation is nothing compared to the stuff that has happened to you folks, just wanted to hear that it was OK for me to be freaked out a bit. Thanks again.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can see this thread quickly turning into a sea story thread, but just wanted to echo what's been said w/ my experinces. As a private pilot, I've been in/been flying the same plane that, twice, had an engine malfunction. One time was over a beach in S. Carolina, and the second was over (litterally) Tampa International.

Since joining, I've had a guy who was two flights ahead of me in the VTs buy w/ his instructor from my squadron and was in the RAG w/ one of the crew from the most recent -60B mishap in the gulf. But it all doesn't end badly. If anyone during training has seen the video of a -60B on the flight deck of a frigate that immediately rolls over on its side, I've flown that bird in the RAG afterwards. It was a sweet flyer too, since everything was new. One of those pilots have probably taught many a SNA in the HTs. He also happened to be from my squadron.

"Stuff" happens, but unfortuneately, it's part of the biz.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I can add my story to the rest. My squadron was in the bottom of the bathtub (Short on planes because of IMC) and was borrowing one from another squadron. I flew it and then we sent it back to the squadron we borrowed it from. It crashed on the next flight. Catastrophic fire in the most vulnerable spot of the A/C. Both guys got out just fine, but can you believe it was the last flight in the squadron for both of them?! We lost 1 aviator on our last cruise, buddy was shot down in Iraq by a patriot, and several buddies had class alpha's that they walked away from. I think like everyone on the board says, if you stay in this business long enough, you'll get a few stories like this. Hopefully more of your stories have the guys walking away than not...

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
Correct me if I am wrong...
Any mishap resulting in:
1. Damage greater than $1M
2. Total loss of airframe
3. Any loss of life

It is the standard that is used in a lot of safety benchmarks, ie. number of class A mishaps per 100,000 flight hours.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by travislikes
Correct me if I am wrong...
Any mishap resulting in:
1. Damage greater than $1M
2. Total loss of airframe
3. Any loss of life

It is the standard that is used in a lot of safety benchmarks, ie. number of class A mishaps per 100,000 flight hours.

That's correct. My mishap met the first criteria but ended up meeting the second when the Navy decided it would be too costly to reconstruct the aircraft. The aircraft was 90% intact but the fire damage melted some of the fuselage spars to the point of no return.

vballindaytona

yea it sucks at times, when i was at riddle in daytona there was a midair. THAT really hit home considering one plane (piper seminole) had my instructor in it doing a checkride with my best friends roomate. anyways, four dead, there was 2 others in the other aircraft too, one checkpilot and one airline pilot. To top it off, i was in the pattern on downwind when the midair happened about 1/2 mile away from the airport. i feel a hell of a lot better being in planes with nacws or tcas now.

jonathan

Future Herc Driver

Yeah I figured this was gonna get asked. Its kinda small and I figured it was a 130. I figured that out a while ago, just been too lazy to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.