• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fratenization

saltpeter

I'd have to disagree that having spent time as an enlisted man/woman makes anyone a better officer. Officer's a ranked among there peers and chiefs by the ground jobs they've held and how well they do them, period. I personnally couldn't turn a wrench to save my life and have never needed to learn the skill, am I a bad officer?

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
I think SIGNIFICANT time (4 years or so) as an enlisted marine would make someone a better officer. Actually having a little bit of small unit leadership never hurts.

saltpeter

To add to my last post and I'll have to use Navy jargon. If an enlisted person transitions to be an officer after having been a Chief, his/her experience will be of great benefit. This is clearly seen is the caliber of individual that becomes an LDO, or as is the rumor that says, Chief's may replace officer's on small boys and then receive a commision after a sucessful cruise. Although, being a third class has little in the way of responsibility that tranlates into making anyone a better officer.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Crowbar's hit it on the head, but as a warning, I'd advise against lumping everyone in together. One of the best LCpls I had working for me back in the day had enlisted specifically to ease his way into OCS, because he was a dumbass in college (bad grades from too much beer). This person is now an F-18 pilot and a Capt (so now he tells ME what to do), and we still talk via email pretty regularly. He's still one motivated SOB, too.

Being a good Officer (Marines, Navy, or otherwise) isn't about having a Good Conduct Medal or not. It's about giving a damn--about the mission, your execution of it, your people, etc. Your Marines/Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen/whatever can tell the difference between a good Officer and a sh!thead, plain and simple. Lead by example, know your job, your subordinates' jobs (at least how hard they are), ask intelligent questions, and you'll be off to a good start.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Agree with Brett. If it is a Pre-existing relationship (i.e. you're prior enlisted and you guys when through boot camp together), unless they're in your command, you can continue that relationship unfettered. Nice use of a $5 word, huh? :D

You didn't do proper currency exchange. In the Marines that's at least a $15 word ;)

But, on topic, yeah I would say he's right on target :)