• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fratenization

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Hello everyone. I've done a search on here and can't find anything relating to this topic. I'm planning on enlisting in the marines for a year or two after graduating college next summer,before crossing over to be a officer . Besides wanting to experience life as an enlisted man, other factors come into play as well. I realise I'm going to be making a lot of enlisted friends and seeking advice on how to deal with the issue of fratenization when it comes up eventually. I know I'm at least two years from that but I don't think its ever too early to learn about anything. Especially on an issue that could ruin a future career if handled the wrong way. As most of the people in the forum are Naval officers in current service or retired, y'all are the best position to answer this question. If you are a mustang, you obviously made friends on the enlisted side of the house and non-priors I'm sure have some enlisted friends as well. As an officer, how do you deal with those friends so as not to run afoul of the UCMJ. When does an innocent get together with your old buddies,spouse,girl/boyfriend(who just happens to be enlisted) cross the line into fratenization?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello everyone. I've done a search on here and can't find anything relating to this topic. I'm planning on enlisting in the marines for a year or two after graduating next summer,before crossing over to be a officer . Besides wanting to experience life as an enlisted man, other factors come into play as well. I realise I'm going to be making a lot of enlisted friends and seeking advice on how to deal with the issue of fratenization when it comes up eventually. I know I'm at least two years from that but I don't think its ever too early to learn about anything. Especially on an issue that could ruin a future career if handled the wrong way. As most of the people in the forum are Naval officers in current service or retired, y'all are the best position to answer this question. If you are a mustang, you obviously made friends on the enlisted side of the house and non-priors I'm sure have some enlisted friends as well. As an officer, how do you deal with those friends so as not to run afoul of the UCMJ. When does an innocent get together with your old buddies,spouse,girl/boyfriend(who just happens to be enlisted) cross the line into fratenization?
Unless you go back to the same community, it's not likely to be an issue. Otherwise, you handle it like everything else - in a profesional manner. You'll know when something is crossing the line and so should your old E friends. It is going to be situation dependant as well. Old friends in your current command are going to have to be dealt with with a little more attention than someone you don't work with. Bottom line, I wouldn't worry about it and have rarely seen any issues that didn't work themselves out.

Brett

Cate

Pretty much invincible
You might want to start with a search on fraternization. You should find lots of information, and then you'll know what questions to ask.

phrogpilot73

Hello everyone. I've done a search on here and can't find anything relating to this topic. I'm planning on enlisting in the marines for a year or two after graduating college next summer,before crossing over to be a officer . Besides wanting to experience life as an enlisted man, other factors come into play as well. I realise I'm going to be making a lot of enlisted friends and seeking advice on how to deal with the issue of fratenization when it comes up eventually. I know I'm at least two years from that but I don't think its ever too early to learn about anything. Especially on an issue that could ruin a future career if handled the wrong way. As most of the people in the forum are Naval officers in current service or retired, y'all are the best position to answer this question. If you are a mustang, you obviously made friends on the enlisted side of the house and non-priors I'm sure have some enlisted friends as well. As an officer, how do you deal with those friends so as not to run afoul of the UCMJ. When does an innocent get together with your old buddies,spouse,girl/boyfriend(who just happens to be enlisted) cross the line into fratenization?
Agree with Brett. If it is a Pre-existing relationship (i.e. you're prior enlisted and you guys when through boot camp together), unless they're in your command, you can continue that relationship unfettered. Nice use of a $5 word, huh? :D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with Brett. If it is a Pre-existing relationship (i.e. you're prior enlisted and you guys when through boot camp together), unless they're in your command, you can continue that relationship unfettered. Nice use of a $5 word, huh? :D
Cha-Ching!:D

Brett

jrodlandruff

AirWinger
What makes everyone think it is so easy to go from enlisted to officer? You are alot better off just going officer in the first place.

Cougar_62

Just another frustrated observer.
What makes everyone think it is so easy to go from enlisted to officer? You are alot better off just going officer in the first place.

I was thinking the same thing.:confused: I don't think the payoff is there to enlist "for a year or two" and then have to fight the system to switch to officer. If your goal is officer and you're about to graduate college going straight to officer should work much better. You always have to look at how much time you have left to make officer also.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was thinking the same thing.:confused: I don't think the payoff is there to enlist "for a year or two" and then have to fight the system to switch to officer. If your goal is officer and you're about to graduate college going straight to officer should work much better. You always have to look at how much time you have left to make officer also.
Totally agree. You won't get enough experience in a couple years to make a difference, much less be worth your while. Enlisting when you could just as easily get a commission is just plain stupid.

Brett

Crowbar

None
If you enlist with the sole thought in your head of "I'm just doing this to help me get commissioned" and everything you do is directed at helping you get commissioned, you won't have to worry about having friends from your enlisted days.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you enlist with the sole thought in your head of "I'm just doing this to help me get commissioned" and everything you do is directed at helping you get commissioned, you won't have to worry about having friends from your enlisted days.
:D

Brett

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
HAHAHA!! Funny when said yet so true in practice.

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think the payoff is there to enlist "for a year or two" and then have to fight the system to switch to officer. If your goal is officer and you're about to graduate college going straight to officer should work much better. You always have to look at how much time you have left to make officer also.
I wish I could do that but I'm not a U.S citizen yet. I'm at least 2 yrs. away from that. I can't see myself graduating and working a 9-5 job for the next 1 to 2 yrs cause I know I'll lose my mind sooner rather than later. At least by enlisting, I'll be in the military(been wanting to be a Marine since I was 5;or so my mom says) and serving my adopted country until I'm eligible to apply for citizenship.

You might want to start with a search on fraternization. You should find lots of information, and then you'll know what questions to ask.
Sorry about the typo. It was late at night when I wrote it and was very tired from studying:D

ButterBarWannaB

LN2 (FC2) at Newport NAVSTA in RI
I tend to disagree with half the above posts...
Wearing an enlisted uniform is an invaluable experience, even if it's for 1-2 years. Officers that have an enlisted warfare pin automatically have more respect from their people: your division/crew will know you understand what it's like to wear a blue shirt. But you have to remember that the first few years as an enlisted person is not glamorous work.... and putting an OCS package together is lots of work.

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Thanks ButterBarWannaB. I also forgot to mention that I'm pushing the age limit for an air contract(I'm 26)and I wanna be a pilot. I'm sure being prior will be factored into whether I get an age waiver or not. NOT saying it will, but one can never know until one tries. If I don't get it, I'll still be happy just to be an officer of Marines.
[But you have to remember that the first few years as an enlisted person is not glamorous work.... and putting an OCS package together is lots of work/QUOTE]
I love a challange and ready to work my a$$ off:D