• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former Marine heads to trial in civilian courts for alledged war crimes

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
great. explaining oneself to civilians who weren't there.

i don't know what to think of this guy's innocence or guilt, but it's not a matter for civilian courts to decide. The decision to go about this in such a manner sets a terrible precedent for the rest of us who wear a uniform.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
great. explaining oneself to civilians who weren't there.

i don't know what to think of this guy's innocence or guilt, but it's not a matter for civilian courts to decide. The decision to go about this in such a manner sets a terrible precedent for the rest of us who wear a uniform.

if we can try unlawful combatants in a military court, why couldn't they just do the same with contractors and others? couldn't they pass a law or something that would allow it? i bet it would be better than having a civilian court deal with it. in a civilian court, you wont have a jury of your "peers"...

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Do civilian courts have authority to prosecute something that happened thousands of miles away not in the US?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I agree with the idea, but not its execution. The law should have given the military authority to return the person to active duty in order to court-martial them. IIRC, they can do this already with those who are retired or in the IRR.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Monday Morning War Quarterbacking

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,405164,00.html

I don't really agree with the way this is happening. While the allegations, if proven true, are serious and need to be addressed; I don't think the way the law is being applied is correct. I think if there is a problem in the military, it should be addressed by the military. Opening up soldiers for civil prosecution sets a bad precedent.

Sometimes, in war, shit happens. I am not speaking from any firsthand warrior experience, but from what my father and other veterans have told me. In Viet Nam, in Iraq, in Afghanistan...sometimes, when people shoot at you, shit happens. If said shit is found to be criminal, or someone had doubts about it, they should bring it up then...not years later when they are trying to get a job and decide to unload their guilt in a security interview. WTF?:icon_rage

In my opinion, if this comes to a prosecution, it will bring about a gaggle of lawsuits and claims from pissed off collateral damage and overzealous Senators trying to make our troops look like they are "terrorizing kids and children, you know, women"

Just raging here, that's all...

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, if he is unable to be brought back to active duty because his military service was completed (to include IRR), it seems that there was no other choice than to arrest and try him in a civilian court. As a military member I would like to face a court martial for actions done in the service, but it seems that there is nothing the military could do with this particular case.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Well, if he is unable to be brought back to active duty because his military service was completed (to include IRR), it seems that there was no other choice than to arrest and try him in a civilian court. As a military member I would like to face a court martial for actions done in the service, but it seems that there is nothing the military could do with this particular case.

seems so unfair. whether he is really guilty or not, how can a court in the US properly understand what happened in a warzone? more importantly, how can a jury understand it? i think he would get a fairer hearing in a military court for the reasons others mentioned.

hasn't it been true in history that when a country is at war, things that happen in that country are heard by military tribunal? i thought that was how it was in WW2. in world war 2, did anyone doing anything in the warzone ever get taken to court in the US?

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Then perhaps, in a way, a statute of limitations has been reached? Can't try him in a military court... then maybe it should just be too late.

I don't know. It's just that taking a veteran who risked his life for this country and taking away his job and the life he built for himself years after an alleged wartime event doesn't sit well with me. There's no easy solution here, I guess.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Awesome news! I'm also quite proud of the two who did not co-operate.
That took some balls. The moral of the story is to never compromise your ethics and sell out because it is the easy thing to do. I am glad this jury got it right. I can only hope for favorable outcomes for the other two that are being held in contempt.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Had Nazario been convicted of voluntary manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon and discharging a firearm during a crime of violence, he could have faced more than 10 years in prison.

You get a fraction of a second to make a decision which, if incorrect, could easily lead to the death of yourself, someone around you, or a civilian. The courts then take months and years to determine if it was correct or not.

"I think you don't know what goes on in combat until you are in combat," [a jury member] said.

Sounds like the jury saw it the same way we do - they aren't his "peers" in this matter and therefore don't fully understand the situation.