• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former Marine Aviator Arrested on Suspicion of Providing Aid to China

PMPT

I'm also not convinced what the perks are of being a U.S. citizen overseas with the exception of consular assistance, which isn't really relevant here.
honestly, i completely agree. if you live in a stable, developed nation, you aren't really gaining anything tangible imo.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
naturally, none of that changes the fact he's providing training to people that might or will try to kill his [former] countrymen and brothers in arms. illegal? possibly not. immoral? certainly, in my eyes at least.

The irony is that giving up his citizenship did nothing to prevent him from being arrested on US charges. And while not guaranteed by any stretch the US government doesn't lose too many cases like this.

When the only other country who does this kind of taxation is Eritrea, you have to ask yourself: did everyone else get this decision wrong, or did we?

We are pretty unique when compared with other first world nations when it comes to several things, this is certainly one of them but the reach and willingness of US law enforcement to persecute folks who aren't even US citizens on charges like this is another pretty unique thing we do. How do we get away with doing stuff like that? We are still the most powerful country on the earth with a very outsized role and attendant power in finance, commerce and business with the dollar still remaining the world's 'reserve currency' going on ~80 years now and have the legal and administrative structure to not only handle it all but enforce our rules and laws on it all.

So with that power comes the ability to throw our weight around and do things other countries don't or won't do, to include making folks pay tax wherever they are from Monaco to the moon and arresting non-citizens for evading US sanctions like this moron found out. Having seen first hand several first world country's reluctant to apply the law to many because it was too much of a challenge or even incapable of doing so I prefer the US way of doing things.

I'm also not convinced what the perks are of being a U.S. citizen overseas with the exception of consular assistance, which isn't really relevant here.
honestly, i completely agree. if you live in a stable, developed nation, you aren't really gaining anything tangible imo.

No one is forcing folks to stay American citizens, it is a free country after all. But that doesn't mean I and others won't think less of someone doing so because of greed, and it doesn't mean Uncle Sam won't come to get you if you run afoul of US law.

'Murica, fuck yeah.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It's so fair that only one other nation on earth (with the GDP of, literally, two billion dollars) does it? That's not very convincing!

I'd guess a large salary/paycheck that said individuals wouldn't generally rate in the US defense industry. To be clear, this isn't a legitimate reason but it might be a selling point for some.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I appreciate the joke, and I was going to reply but the 2A debate is its own can of worms! For the record, I am a firearms owner.
So am I... just looking for a little consistency. I guess the justification that the US should stop doing things because no other countries do that thing isn't such a great principle after all... or is it?

number9

Contributor
So am I... just looking for a little consistency. I guess the justification that the US should stop doing things because no other countries do that thing isn't such a great principle after all... or is it?
I didn't say it should stop doing things - I said that when you're the only country doing something then it's definitely a good idea to pause and think "Am I doing the right thing here? Do I know something that no one else knows, or did I get this wrong?"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't say it should stop doing things - I said that when you're the only country doing something then it's definitely a good idea to pause and think "Am I doing the right thing here? Do I know something that no one else knows, or did I get this wrong?"
Several posters in this thread have strongly implied as much about the aforementioned taxation issue, which is why I offered the gun availability issue as a similar situation for people to consider whether we're “doing the right thing” for that.

IRfly

None
I just think it's bullshit that JOE BRANDON is letting this American hero UNITED STATES MARINE rot in a foreign jail while he trades a genocider for a pot-smoking WNBA player. AMERICA is in deEP TrOuBle!

(Am I doing this right?)

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The plot thickens as the US intends to go for asset forfeiture in this case. As a reminder, Duggan is no longer a US citizen.

I don't think it is particularly novel, we've been going after Russian oligarch assets since the invasion of Ukraine, though probably not common in Australia.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think it is particularly novel, we've been going after Russian oligarch assets since the invasion of Ukraine, though probably not common in Australia.
The applicable laws between Russian oligarchs on sanction lists, usually a Treasury enforcement, and a criminal prosecution are different. Not saying overseas forfeitures don't happen in criminal cases, even non-citizens, but sanctioned Russian oligarchs are not a very good analogue.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The applicable laws between Russian oligarchs on sanction lists, usually a Treasury enforcement, and a criminal prosecution are different. Not saying overseas forfeitures don't happen in criminal cases, even non-citizens, but sanctioned Russian oligarchs are not a very good analogue.

How about drug smugglers and cartel leaders? I did counter-drug stuff for a time and one of the most effective tools we had in combating it was the seizure of assets, even some of the foreign countries we worked with preferred American prosecution of drug smugglers because of stuff like that.