• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former Marine Aviator Arrested on Suspicion of Providing Aid to China

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Innocent until proven guilty"... I've heard of this concept. Wasn't it used in some countries?
Yeah, and it has to do with formal legal proceedings, not the ability of private citizens to come to their own conclusions outside the jurisdiction of a legal trial.

If a court is unable to pronounce you guilty or liable in a criminal or civil proceeding retrospectively, but people still independently think the court fucked up, then they have a First Amendment right to say that the court is full of shit and that, in their opinion, you're guilty AF.

snake020

Contributor
Correct. Australia has historically (well, recently) stripped naturalized dual citizens of their Australian citizenship in some high-profile cases, mostly centered around ISIS members & supporters. The High Court (equivalent to SCOTUS) put a stop to that on legal grounds, but the current government recently announced plans to figure out a way to restart such strips.

If they ever did strip him of his Australian citizenship, it would be really interesting to see what happens next. If he's already renounced his American citizenship, then stripping him of his Australian citizenship would make him stateless - but Australia may not care about that.

Probably this

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they ever did strip him of his Australian citizenship, it would be really interesting to see what happens next. If he's already renounced his American citizenship, then stripping him of his Australian citizenship would make him stateless - but Australia may not care about that.

If he gave up his American citizenship and he only holds Australian citizenship Australia probably can't strip him of citizenship and leave him stateless according to common and international law.

On a related note I wonder what the feds are charging him with as he isn't an American citizen anymore, more for curiosity's sake than questioning whether it is possible.

Can the Commandant publicly strip him of the title for embarrassing the Corps?

Kinda hard when he is no longer a Marine in any official way.

True, I believe some establishments like ADFA require citizenship but you can still join the military without one, we have a lot of immigrants here.

It is the same here, but only for enlisted. Officers are usually required to be citizens of the country or in the case of several Commonwealth countries, a citizen of a Commonwealth country. It looks like Australia will take on non-citizens but require you to become a citizen soon after.

"Innocent until proven guilty"... I've heard of this concept. Wasn't it used in some countries?

The Juice really is innocent!

HuggyU2

None
... then they have a First Amendment right to say that the court is full of shit and that, in their opinion, you're guilty AF.
Amen. And until it becomes libel / slander, you are well within your 1st Amendment right.
But "innocent until proven guilty" is still the law of the land,... at least in the US of A... right? Just checking.
Not that it matters: I'm sure the media articles are 100% accurate and unbiased.

I remember when the Duke lacrosse guys were definitely guilty. Scumbags! They didn't even go to trial. I'm sure some feel they're guilty AF.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Amen. And until it becomes libel / slander, you are well within your 1st Amendment right.
But "innocent until proven guilty" is still the law of the land,... at least in the US of A... right? Just checking.
Not that it matters: I'm sure the media articles are 100% accurate and unbiased.

Yeah, that's great and as Nittany already pointed out that is for the courts. This is an internet forum and surprisingly we can speculate and form independent opinions that someone just might be an asshole for possibly helping out the Chinese.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention that libel and slander require someone to make a factual assertion that they know to be false while saying/writing it. "John Doe beats his wife" is slander or libel if the person saying it knows or reasonably should have known that John Doe does not, in fact, beat his wife. Unless John Doe is a public figure, in which case the Supreme Court has ruled that "John Doe beats his wife" is only slander/libel IF it's said/written with specific intent to ruin John Doe's reputation.

"I think John Doe is a scumbag for working with China, and it wouldn't surprise me if they find out he's violated his classified information NDA" can't be libel or slander, because it's a statement of opinion, not fact. "John Doe's going up the river, because he violated his classified NDA and the FBI's going to hammer him" could be slander IF it's known to be untrue when said/written AND John Doe is not a public figure for purposes of First Amendment law. If John Doe put himself in the news or is otherwise famous, then "John Doe's going up the river, because he violated his classified NDA and the FBI's going to hammer him" can only be slander or libel IF it's known to be untrue when said/written AND it was said with express intent to ruin John Doe's reputation.

Oh, and the kicker . . . if you're enough of a scumbag that it's arguable that it's completely impossible to ruin your reputation any further, it is possible for a plaintiff to be deemed "libel-proof."

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
“Well your honor…I have this passion for General Tao’s Chicken…”
If he liked shitty Chinese food, he should have stayed in the US of A.

I bet it’ll be easy for him to overturn the charges. Unless he’s accused of passing classified info, it’s not apparent what he - as a non National - can be charged with. Only thing I can think of is something related to the post-1989 weapons embargo. Being an unprincipled douche is not a crime, unfortunately.